D&D trivia!
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:36 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Besides I could have made it worse by saying that Sir Bluot was wearing Boots of Striding & Springing. Oh wait, I just did. :oops:

How about Sir Bluto's full name?

Sir Bluto Sans Pite. Now, think back to 9th-grade French ... "sans" ... ringing any bells?

So, you've got a good example of Schick humor here: "Sir Bluto Without Pity."

I'm telling you, the first edition rocked harder than a three-headed dog. I actually feel sorry for all of today's 3e/d20 zombies; they have no idea what they missed.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:42 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:
Deadlord36 wrote:I do recall the command word. Wand of Wonder?

Damn, I thought you'd have this one. It's a Rod of Beguiling. Now what's the module? Come guys, someone knows this!

I was thinking this from the begining, but was it X2-Castle Amber, thus the refernce to Bonzo. The character Little Ape that was ridiculed by the Amber Family causing him to take revenge by killing one of the members of the family. Rather than kill him, they placed a curse on him to actually live as an Ape . Is that it?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:48 pm 

Here's another trivia question:

What is the only cleric spell featured in S4 LCOTsojcanth that did not make it into the Unearthed Arcana?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:45 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Okay, only one rule: you are NOT allowed to consult any source material before answering. Post a question and test the community's depth and breadth of useless (or not so useless) D&D knowledge. Let's have some fun!

To start things off: in which module is the command word "BONZO" used?

Bonus question: what does the command "BONZO" activate?

Is it Vault of the Drow?  For some reason it sounds familiar.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:26 pm 

zhowar1 wrote:Here's another trivia question:

What is the only cleric spell featured in S4 LCOTsojcanth that did not make it into the Unearthed Arcana?

Isn't it Henley's Digit of Disruption?  Who the hell is Henley anyway?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:28 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:Okay, only one rule: you are NOT allowed to consult any source material before answering. Post a question and test the community's depth and breadth of useless (or not so useless) D&D knowledge. Let's have some fun!

To start things off: in which module is the command word "BONZO" used?

Bonus question: what does the command "BONZO" activate?

Okay you got me. I don't have a feckin clue. :?

Me neither, but the silliness sounds like something out of EX1 or EX2.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:37 pm 

OK, here's a fairly easy one.  Only because I know the answers off the top of my head from reading it so many times.

1) Who is the ruler of the Kingdom of Caer Sidi?  What is his consort's name?
2) What is the name of the fortress at the gate of Maldev?
3) What is the name of the vampire who lords over the Nightworld?
4) What type of demon does the demonstaff summon?  What type of demon can the wielder of the demonstaff turn themselves into?

The first person to get all four questions correct will receive a copy of "Lament for Lost Tharizdun" or a bloody copy of "Dungeons and Dragons: 30 Years of Adventure".  Reading either one will make you go completely insane.  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:50 pm 

KingOfPain wrote:OK, here's a fairly easy one. Only because I know the answers off the top of my head from reading it so many times.

1) Who is the ruler of the Kingdom of Caer Sidi? What is his consort's name?
2) What is the name of the fortress at the gate of Maldev?
3) What is the name of the vampire who lords over the Nightworld?
4) What type of demon does the demonstaff summon? What type of demon can the wielder of the demonstaff turn themselves into?

The first person to get all four questions correct will receive a copy of "Lament for Lost Tharizdun" or a bloody copy of "Dungeons and Dragons: 30 Years of Adventure". Reading either one will make you go completely insane. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I always loved all the "alternate" worlds of Q1...I based my entire campaign world of the last 15 years on the ocean world that was given about a paragraph or two in Queen of the Demonweb Pits.  
    I only want the bloody copy of "30 years" if it is dipped in either Cougies or Jons juice. Otherwise, I'll wait until Half Price books starts stocking them in the dollar section..

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:32 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:SH: Moon; the eighth globe; the golem with "9" (the only prime number)

Ok, I suck at trivia but my recollection of math isn't so bad.  What's all this about "9" being a prime number?  That can't be right.  8O

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:52 am 

deimos3428 wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:SH: Moon; the eighth globe; the golem with "9" (the only prime number)

Ok, I suck at trivia but my recollection of math isn't so bad. What's all this about "9" being a prime number? That can't be right. 8O

I think that was a typo.  :wink: Should have been non-prime

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:55 am 

bclarkie wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:Ok, I suck at trivia but my recollection of math isn't so bad. What's all this about "9" being a prime number? That can't be right. 8O

I think that was a typo. :wink: Should have been non-prime

Oh, ok.  I had the same reaction as a room full of scientists when you yell "Pi is exactly 3!".  :)

YIM  

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:34 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:

Ok, I suck at trivia but my recollection of math isn't so bad. What's all this about "9" being a prime number? That can't be right. 8O

Wait! Nine isn't a prime? Says who? :wink:

That's what I get for typing quickly while discussing my favorite module ... it's a recipe for disaster.

Okay, to make up for my foolishness, here's a two-part bonus question. Frank and Brian, I am declaring you ineligible ... :)

A. WPM's suggested World of Greyhawk location is where?
B. What is the height of the actual mountain (from base to cone)?

Extra-special, one-time only, act-now bonus:

C. The "white plume" geyser sprays how many feet into the air?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:54 pm 

Q:"What is the only cleric spell featured in S4 LCOTsojcanth that did not make it into the Unearthed Arcana?"

A: "Isn't it Henley's Digit of Disruption?"

Correct, sir! I cribbed this question from the Gygax interview thread at Enworld. Someone asked why he left it out of UA, but he couldn't remember any particular reason.

"Who the hell is Henley anyway?"

Gygax can't remember that, either! But apparently it's the only "named" cleric spell. Unless someone here can think of another.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:41 pm 

Maybe that's the reason it was left out -- cleric spells are supposed be divinely inspired, no?  "Henley" doesn't sound much like a god.

Foul

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:09 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:Maybe that's the reason it was left out -- cleric spells are supposed be divinely inspired, no? "Henley" doesn't sound much like a god.

Foul

Depends on who your asking.  A lot of music fans consider Don Henley to be of quasi-deity status.  Perhaps either Gary, Allan Hammack, or Rob Kuntz was an Eagles fan and wanted to put their own little dig towards Glenn Frey in the book.  :roll:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:26 pm 

KingOfPain wrote:
bclarkie wrote:
Okay you got me. I don't have a feckin clue. :?

Me neither, but the silliness sounds like something out of EX1 or EX2.

Alright, I thought this would have been solved by now.

IT"S R-1!!!!!

"BONZO" is the command word the Watcher uses to activate the Rod of Beguiling so he can get help from the party against the "gargoyles" that keep raiding him, IIRC.  It's a ruse, of course.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:21 am 

Okay, here's a bunch of questions to mull over.  Keep in mind that I am typing these all from memory and haven't bothered to recheck my facts (so I hope I don't embarrass myself and screw something up!  :oops:  )

1) In the same vein as the earlier "Magic-user spell" question I asked: What is the "unique" Cleric spell in the original Players Handbook that is not a Alteration, Abjuration, Illusion/Phantasm, Conjuration/Summoning, Divination, Evocation, Necromatic or Enchantment/Charm (or combination of thereof) ?  What is the type and spell name?

2) What is the only creature in the MM, MM2 or FF that has a movement rate above 48"?  

3) A Druid should be always in possession of Greater Misletoe in order to cast spells.   If not greater, than lesser or borrowed mistletoe can be used.  What other two "components" (both "plant" related) will allow a Druid to cast a spell (albeit with a very reduced spell effectiveness)?  
BONUS: What exactly is Greater Mistletoe?

4) What are the names of the caverns from B1 In Search of the Unknown?

5) What are the 3 breath weapons that Bahamut the Platinum Dragon can use?

6) Of the main humanoid races in the Monster Manual (Goblin, Hobgoblin, Ogre, Kobold, Gnoll, Bugbear and Orc), which has the shortest life span?  What is the typical lifespan?
Which has the longest lifespan?  How old?

7) In the sample dungeon and example of play (in the DMG) the party begins exploration of an abandoned monastery.  After exploring several rooms and killing some large spiders, the party encounters some sort of creatures right before the "example of play" ends.  What did they encounter?

8 ) What is a marine Hobgoblin called (per Monster Manual)?

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:39 am 

3) Holly or oak
4} Caverns of CHaos
6) Kobold I believe
7) Ghouls
8) Kopoacinth?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

PreviousNext