EPT/M.A.R. Barker Question
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:19 am 

Does anyone know if M.A.R.(Muhammed Abd-al-Rahman) Barker's real/original name is actually Phil? I know he had a distant relative with that name, but I have a letter to David Sutherland(Oct. 15, 1979) on University of Minnesota Dept. of South Asian Studies letterhead mentioning EPT, Gygax, Zocchi, Brian Blume, etc. that is signed "Phil". I know that M.A.R. was a professor at U of M at that time so this is messing w/ my mind. :?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Devon

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:52 am 

burntwire wrote:Does anyone know if M.A.R.(Muhammed Abd-al-Rahman) Barker's real/original name is actually Phil? I know he had a distant relative with that name, but I have a letter to David Sutherland(Oct. 15, 1979) on University of Minnesota Dept. of South Asian Studies letterhead mentioning EPT, Gygax, Zocchi, Brian Blume, etc. that is signed "Phil". I know that M.A.R. was a professor at U of M at that time so this is messing w/ my mind. :?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Devon

I havent been able to find anything specifically yet, but this site might be of some help:
Tékumel :: The World of the Petal Throne

I found in a quick google search, but being that I am currently at work I haven't been able to look around it much. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:15 pm 

On the bottom of this page:
404 Not Found

Unless I am reading this site incorretly, I believe it is saying that his real name is John C Adams.
Credits
Based on the Science Fiction/Fantasy World of Tékumel, created by Professor M.A.R. Barker

High Priestess of Shiringgayi and "She Who Did Not Sacrifice Me": Maureen Pisani

Play-Testers (in the order of their devotions):
Dr. Stephen Wilson (Author of Wilson's Axiom: No matter what one's interest, there is always someone so obsessed with that subject that it makes one embarrassed to be associated with it.")
Ed Metheny ("He Who Inspires with Opprobrium")
Paul von Fisher ("He Who Advocates Computer Games that Eat My Life")
Maureen Pisani (see above)
Eric Bruer ("Son of the N'luss")
Matthew David ("Dojako of Haida Pakala")
James Johnson ("He Who Formerly Slept on My Couch")
Carl Brodt ("He Who Helped A Lot")
Tom Bauman (last heard from in Asheville)
John C. Adams (his real name)
Steve Lopez (a.k.a. "Pulgao")
Your Name Here (Play-Tester for Scenarios Two and Three)

I hope that helps. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:29 pm 

I have occational contact with the owner of a store (Phoenix Games) here in Minneapolis, that was part of play-testing some of the later versions (forgive as I know next to nothing about EPT).   I would be happy to approach Neil with any questions about MAR or EPT.   Let me know if you are still trying to figure out his name . . .

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:44 pm 

I think the John Adams thing is a reference to the 2nd Pres. of the US

Yes Guido, please ask your contact at Pheonix Games.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:13 pm 

Tadashi and Carl Brodt both know Barker, and he does go by Phil.  I don't know what his full name stands for relative to his initials though....

Paul Stormberg (and Kuntz and Gygax for that matter) also knows Barker, and should be able to confirm as well.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:57 pm 

Howdy Devon,

burntwire wrote:Does anyone know if M.A.R.(Muhammed Abd-al-Rahman) Barker's real/original name is actually Phil? I know he had a distant relative with that name, but I have a letter to David Sutherland(Oct. 15, 1979) on University of Minnesota Dept. of South Asian Studies letterhead mentioning EPT, Gygax, Zocchi, Brian Blume, etc. that is signed "Phil". I know that M.A.R. was a professor at U of M at that time so this is messing w/ my mind. :?

Yes. Phil is an American caucasian guy. I believe he converted to Islam during his extensive Middle-Eastern studies of language and culture. Indeed, his real name is Phil Barker. He is now in his eighties and lives in Florida, IIRC.

During the height of his academic career he went by Professor M.A.R. Barker but now just goes by Phil (according to Dave Sutherland). I talked with him on the phone last year about Dave Sutherland's auctions.

In fact I just got a psuedo-legal letter from him asking if Rob intended to infringe on his copyrights with the EPT maps Rob had for auction. The blanket intellectual property rights blurb I put in every auction (even the dice!) to limit the inevitable publishing queries that come with the items up for auction. Specifically, "When I purchase this <miniature, painting, manuscript, game design, etc.> do I get the publishing rights as well?"

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:34 pm 

Thanks everyone for the help. It looks like the letter really is from M.A.R. Barker to D. Sutherland. This and other items will be listed on Ebay in a month or so(unless someone makes a good offer  :) ).

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:58 am 

Stormber nailed it.

The M.A.R. stands for Muhammed Abdul-Rahman.  It's his conversion name, though in the gaming community he's still called Phil.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:55 pm 

That's pretty funny. Hi, my name is Muhammed Abdul-Rahman, but you can call me Phil.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:14 pm 

I ran this thread past Neil, owner of Phoenix Games in Minneapolis (who I have learned also co-authored some EPT material).   He confirmed each conclusion drawn above.    I suspect Neil will be joining the site soon!