Why can't I find a Birthright Box Set?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:32 pm 

Ok, maybe I'm just not trying hard enough, but it seems that every time I bother checking ebay or various online OOP D&D stores, I simply cannot find a Birthright Campaign Setting box set.  :?

Is this thing more rare than I remember it or something? Because usually I can get what I want within a few weeks of the start of the "itch", but this is one itch I haven't been able  to scratch for months.  :cry:

Visit the Back In Print website...where OOP is Back In Print!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:13 pm 

It's very tough to find, especially in SW.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:11 am 

I had the same issue at one point and then a miracle occurred.  3 or 4 were listed at one time and I ended up getting one for peanuts ($10 - 15 if I recall), as Obi-won said once - - Patience Luke :D

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:06 am 

I beg to differ. I don't think it's rare. Here's an OK BIN for a minty one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5183582954

Or you might take your chances with http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5203016004

There are some uncommon Birthright items, however. The Conspectus and the Comic are not always available. Hogunmark is an uncommon item, though the demand (and thus the value) has dropped dramatically. And the Ral Partha miniatures for Birthright are tough to find!

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:46 am 

I found a minty one in a mixed lot (from down under IIRC), but I didn't think it was difficult to find.

I guess that - even with the good artwork in it - the gameworld didn't possess the flair of Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms... anyone else has the same feeling about it?

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:31 am 

rosenkav wrote:I found a minty one in a mixed lot (from down under IIRC), but I didn't think it was difficult to find.

I guess that - even with the good artwork in it - the gameworld didn't possess the flair of Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms... anyone else has the same feeling about it?

The production quality of the booklets was foreshadowing 3rd Edition. All pages with colored background pictures and also the paper quality was much better than earlier products.

The main problem about BIRTHRIGHT campaigns is giving the players good reasons why kings and leaders should go adventuring at all. A king leading his army into war is one thing, but a king walking around in a dark dungeon might be difficult to explain. I always saw it as an interesting challenge to the story-telling abilities of a DM. (I have never played BIRTHRIGHT, neither as player nor as DM).

What I like about the concept is the mixture between strategic game (domain turns) and classic adventuring. Because many of the high-level adventureres in "classic" fantasy campaign worlds I have seen ended up as some kind of ruler and reigned of a barony or something after gaining high levels and lots of treasure. BIRTHRIGHT allows you to start out as a ruler of a small domain at 1st level.

Would like to hear experiences from BIRTHRIGHT players/DMs. Is it worth giving a try? What are the pitfalls for a DM, and how to avoid them?

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:22 pm 

I've had a bunch of items pass through my hands and here is my own opinion/impression of the various Campaign Settings:

They are certainly not rare - not by a long stretch. Figure that TSR must have printed at least as many Campaign Settings as the highest print run accessory (what good are the accessories without a Campaign Setting?).

However, then can be a little difficult to come by. What I tend to think is that the vast majority of RPG items are still in the hands of the original owners and many have found their way to collectors. Back in the day, when TSR was pumping out every campaign setting and adventure/accessory they could manage, the first thing somone would be inclined to buy would be the Campaign Setting. . . right? Maybe they liked it and bought a few accessories . . . or maybe they didn't much care for it and never purchased anything else in that setting.

The point is: The settings were more likely to be purchased and they were much more likely to be put into use. Thus, more of the Settings have been lost to the ravages of time and campaigning. Also, more of the settings are still on the shelves of those who (even if they don't collect) still hang onto their D&D paraphernalia.

Even those who may wish to unload certain items may decide to keep the Campaign Setting (if nothing else). Casual collectors may decide that it is far to expensive and out of reach to acquire every AD&D item. . . but they can at least get the Campaign Setting. . .

Take Ravenloft for example, I have had at least 10 Realm of Terror box sets and nearly as many Forbidden Lore Sets pass through my grubby little hands . . . but not one . . . NOT ONE Freakin' Ravenloft Campaign Setting in over two years. . .

Only 3 Birthright sets . . . (only 1 of which was 100% complete) . . . only two Dark Sun sets . . . only two Adventures in Space . . .

(Forgotten Realms doesn't count since they printed nearly 3 trillion :D )

Now, Planescape is a different story. The Campaign Setting wasn't used much by very many people . . . but the accessories . . . well in hindsight it seems not only does everyone find them pretty cool, but they are basically a very adaptable and informative guide to Outer/Inner Planes adventuring. They can easily be used with any setting and Sigil is likewise easily inserted into an ongoing Campaign.

So, there you have it: I don't think that Birthright is rare , I just think that there are less of them available for sale.

Oh, and by the way . . . I currently have a Birthright Campaign Setting for sale . . . it's not complete and is missing the BattleCards, and the Quad fold screen (as well as the lame little fold up treasure chest to hold the BattleCards). It does have both poster maps, the BattleMat, all three Rulebooks, the box and the cardstock sheets . . . Yours CHEAP if you want it Halaster, just $9.00 - PM me if you are interested.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:15 pm 

Unless they all were dumped in various landfills there are tons of them laying about somewhere. I remember seeing BR boxed sets just sitting in their cute little TSR display cases for months on end at numerous retail outlets including the big box chain book stores.
I think it is a matter of no one buying the thing and they got returned to either TSR or various wholesalers. But they certainly can't be rare. I have seen them go for next to nothing or not sell at all on ebay. That may be part of the problem. Many people know they hold little to no value and they don't get dumped on ebay as often anymore.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:24 pm 

rosenkav wrote:I found a minty one in a mixed lot (from down under IIRC), but I didn't think it was difficult to find.

I found it to be just the opposite, a well-written campaign with a classic Tolkien style and brimming with flair and adventure possibilities. It just came out at the wrong time, as TSR was going under, and the marketing didn't help, they called it a "wargame with roleplaying elements"??

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:33 pm 

dave wrote:

I found it to be just the opposite, a well-written campaign with a classic Tolkien style and brimming with flair and adventure possibilities. It just came out at the wrong time, as TSR was going under, and the marketing didn't help, they called it a "wargame with roleplaying elements"??

I bought it but never actually played it.  It seemed interesting enough, though I think I'd insist that either all of the PCs had the funky super-power blood (I forget the proper name for it) or none of them did, for game balance.  It actually inspired me to keep working on my own campaign setting which had a similar gritty feel.  :)

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:52 pm 

"Bloodlines" , I think . . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:05 pm 

Anuire Press Inc.(The joined BRnet community authors) is pleased to announce that it has negotiated a deal with Hasbro Inc. to take over Birthright Roleplaying Game of Wizards of the Coast. The BIRTHRIGHT campaign setting for the D&D game makes this possible as never before. Role-play warriors, wizards, priests, and thieves descended from royal bloodlines, command imperial powers, and control the destinies of far-reaching lands.
Anuire Press will begin by releasing a revised edition of the core rulebook which will contain material previously found in the original game.

The revised edition of BIRTHRIGHT will be released in Nov 2005.

ShaneG.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:10 pm 

Plaag wrote:Anuire Press Inc.(The joined BRnet community authors) is pleased to announce that it has negotiated a deal with Hasbro Inc. to take over Birthright Roleplaying Game of Wizards of the Coast. The BIRTHRIGHT campaign setting for the D&D game makes this possible as never before. Role-play warriors, wizards, priests, and thieves descended from royal bloodlines, command imperial powers, and control the destinies of far-reaching lands.
Anuire Press will begin by releasing a revised edition of the core rulebook which will contain material previously found in the original game.

The revised edition of BIRTHRIGHT will be released in Nov 2005.

ShaneG.

No, actually it isn't.  As a rule, April Fools jokes should not keep living on until May.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:41 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:

I currently have a Birthright Campaign Setting for sale . . . it's not complete and is missing the BattleCards, and the Quad fold screen (as well as the lame little fold up treasure chest to hold the BattleCards). It does have both poster maps, the BattleMat, all three Rulebooks, the box and the cardstock sheets . . . Yours CHEAP if you want it Halaster, just $9.00 - PM me if you are interested.

Be lookin' for that PM sir!  :wink:  :D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:01 am 

Tolkienesque? hardly. The mood was not dark, but brooding, a sort of idea that things are getting worse, as I perceived it.

I played quite a bit of Birthright. It had a very strong early middle ages feel, with the whole concept of everyone grabbing for a crown. Throw in cool powers and strange monsters, and the game was fun.

It is true that the idea of adventurer kings was strange, but it is not uncommon in fantasy literature; The game actually was very fun, and I would highly recommend it.

I have never known the box to be rare. Just wait it out until a couple og up at once.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:50 am 

We've been discussing trying to play out George RR Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" fantasy series using Birthright rules.  (For those who haven't read these, the adventuring King/Queen concept would fit perfectly!)

I have a pretty beat up copy of the main box set, but I'm trying to upgrade myself.  Knowing ebay one day 10 copies will show up at once and the price will drive down temporarily.  =)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:49 am 

I'm looking forward to reading the material again (thanks to Beyondthebreach). I remember a friend getting it when it first came out and it intrigued me, especially how elves were different and the bloodlines and powers and so on. Never did have time to read it thoroughly though or to play. I've been wanting to read the setting material again for awhile, so hopefully it'll capture my attention as much as it did back then.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:43 am 

Here's one, mixed in with some other stuff:

cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a ... 6&rd=1

YIM  
Next