eBay selling advice sought - best way to get started?
Author

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:45 pm 

Hi, sorry if its cheeky to ask this here, but the combined ebay expertise
must rival the D&D knowledge..

Just tried "selling for the first time" any helpful feedback on my first
attempt to do this appreciated..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RK:MESE:IT

but more important, if someone tries to pay me with paypal, will it
automatically direct them to send payment to the same account I set
up automatic payment of fees from?

any help appreciated.. ta..

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:07 pm 

I'd say that's an excellent job for a first attempt. It makes me ashamed to remember my first few listings: no HTML, no photos, no exciting description ... frankly, other than my innate coolness, I'm not sure why anyone bid on my stuff. :wink:

If I were to get nit-picky, I'd say the photo could be better. The lighting is a little bit soft and it appears to be a fraction out of focus.

And, yes, PayPal will link your winning bidder up to your PayPal account (assuming they choose to use PayPal, of course). One advantage of the eBay/PayPal merger is that the links between seller and buyer are more accurate and reliable than they were in the "old days."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:19 pm 

Ah, you are overly sincere about item condition. Not that I don't appreciate honesty, mind me, but that goes a bit to your detriment.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:40 pm 

guerret wrote:Ah, you are overly sincere about item condition. Not that I don't appreciate honesty, mind me, but that goes a bit to your detriment.

Agreed.  It's good to err on the side of caution regarding condition, but in my opinion, none of those modules rate "Poor" -- which really should be called "ripped apart".  Fair might be more reasonable.

One very minor nitpick:  You're selling a "Tsojcanth".  Definitely not "Tsojconth", which is far less common...

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:46 pm 

This might be just me, but I tend to get more interested in an item if there are multiple pictures of it? Is that weird?? I've always felt that additional pictures shows that seller is (in my mind at least!) treating the item as "special". I always appreciate, for example, a picture of the contents of a boxed set as well as the contents as it gives me more confidence to buy.

I realise you powerseller guys don't have time to do this but when you're feedback's 1000+ people trust the item is as described just from a simple scan. :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:08 am 

Hey!  Some of us Powerseller guys waste hours of time putting up large scans and always takw pics of box set contents!  (We even right our own html)  :wink:

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:45 am 

As an almost exlcusive buyer rather than seller (I generally sell to my friends first although I will be unloading some comics, SW and baseball cards on ebay soon), I study a seller's feedback rating thoroughly for anything over $10.

Also, I leave appropriate feedback promptly upon receipt. If there's a problem, I email first.

I don't have any problem with a seller refraining from giving me +FB before I give a response after getting my item(s). It only seems fair to my mind. The seller has much more to lose by a damaged reputation than I.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:16 pm 

Lewisexi wrote:I've always felt that additional pictures shows that seller is (in my mind at least!) treating the item as "special".

You're right, but a seller has to gauge the insertion fees to the item(s) being sold.  If you're selling a lot of common items, you don't want to pay extra fees for additional pictures.  If it's something like that Tamoachan up right now, I'd want to see several high-quality scans.

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:24 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
Lewisexi wrote:I've always felt that additional pictures shows that seller is (in my mind at least!) treating the item as "special".

You're right, but a seller has to gauge the insertion fees to the item(s) being sold. If you're selling a lot of common items, you don't want to pay extra fees for additional pictures. If it's something like that Tamoachan up right now, I'd want to see several high-quality scans.

Just to be clear . . . you all know that if you write your own html and upload your own photos to a hosting site, you could show any number of photos (any size) for free? Just to be clear . . . (it's not like I'm paying ebay anything for all those big pics I put up!)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:45 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:You're right, but a seller has to gauge the insertion fees to the item(s) being sold. If you're selling a lot of common items, you don't want to pay extra fees for additional pictures. If it's something like that Tamoachan up right now, I'd want to see several high-quality scans.

Just to be clear . . . you all know that if you write your own html and upload your own photos to a hosting site, you could show any number of photos (any size) for free? Just to be clear . . . (it's not like I'm paying ebay anything for all those big pics I put up!)

Hi, just to say thanks for all your help on this one.. I had not realised
how to stick all the pictures in for free - so great tip! Hopefully
have corrected all the errors now too - Thanks Deimos!

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:04 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:You're right, but a seller has to gauge the insertion fees to the item(s) being sold. If you're selling a lot of common items, you don't want to pay extra fees for additional pictures. If it's something like that Tamoachan up right now, I'd want to see several high-quality scans.

Hi, just to say thanks for all your help on this one.. I had not realised
how to stick all the pictures in for free - so great tip! Hopefully
have corrected all the errors now too - Thanks Deimos!

Previous