eBay selling advice sought - best way to get started?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:19 pm 

Hope it all survives the trip Grodog! :)

My 3 cents on the feedback issue (I'm Canadian, damn exchange rate) - I honestly don't even manually leave feedback as a seller anymore. Once a buyer leaves me a positive, he gets one automatically in return, thanks to eBay automation. I sell too much stuff to handle it individually. And follow-up emails? God, I wish I had the time for something like that, heh. Since yesterday morning, I've had 150+ emails. About half of that is automated eBay stuff I can make a note of and ignore, the other half is questions from buyers/sellers, offers, etc. Email already takes up waaay too much of my day. I don't even want to know what the big stores, like Badmike, go through ;)

This also protects me from buyers holding the threat of a negative over my head. Buyers already have nearly 100% power on eBay - the ability to make a no-contest chargeback. I know some folks don't like having to leave FB first as a buyer, and that's fine. I understand that, and agree to a certain point. However, I know that I'm not going to screw anybody over. I've got absolutely no such confidence in my potential buyers ;)  99.5% of the buyers I've dealt with have been fine, or at least reasonable and workable with. But as a seller, I have to care about that 0.5% way more than a buyer does. And the majority of my buyers are <100 feedback folks - most make the occasional purchase on eBay, and as someone already said - buyer feedback isn't particularily important, and often isn't even something you can filter out (using BIN).

As any large seller does (I expect), I deal with my fair share of goofy buyers. Most are just well-intentioned folks that are new to eBay, or get excited about buying something and rush through things. The most common example - I routinely get people making up their own shipping costs and paying before being invoiced. I'm not going to leave a positive feedback for that person until I'm sure they're happy with the purchase.

Fwiw, as a buyer, I always leave feedback once I've received the item in good shape.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:38 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:Hope it all survives the trip Grodog! :)

My 3 cents on the feedback issue (I'm Canadian, damn exchange rate) - I honestly don't even manually leave feedback as a seller anymore. Once a buyer leaves me a positive, he gets one automatically in return, thanks to eBay automation. I sell too much stuff to handle it individually. And follow-up emails? God, I wish I had the time for something like that, heh. Since yesterday morning, I've had 150+ emails. About half of that is automated eBay stuff I can make a note of and ignore, the other half is questions from buyers/sellers, offers, etc. Email already takes up waaay too much of my day. I don't even want to know what the big stores, like Badmike, go through ;).

The same....although most of the stuff can be quickly answered.  Someone inquiring about a package sent, a confirmation number, a shipping cost, these are typical.  Sometimes a buyer wants to monopolize a lot of your time, and actually most of the time I might give it to them if I think I'm helping a potential customer. For example today a buyer wanted to know which Dungeon magazines had Dark Sun adventures. Typically this would take a lot of time, but I was somewhat caught up this morning, a few minutes of clicking through my listings (which the buyer could have done, I grant) came up with the answer, which I emailed to them.  Now, I've had people ask for stuff like all the Dragon mags with Top Secret articles, or all the Dungeon magazines with 1st level adventures, or the like.  I just can't take the time to research these questions, and of course the way it usually happens is when I do spend the time, they don't buy anything anyway!!!
    Like Grayson, I have just recently went to a system of "Leaving feedback after getting feedback" as a seller.  This is 180 degree turn from where I used to be, but as pointed out pretty much all the power is in the Buyer's hands anyway, and more and more I was being subjected to types of subtle feedback blackmail.  I agree with a the thought that a lot of buyers are newbies and just not knowledgable to the ways of Ebay, but that's no reason why I should have to waste time spending an inordinate amount of support on an order for a $9 D&D module because if the buyer doesn't see the item in the next 48 hours they are going to leave a negative, contact ebay, file with Paypal, etc etc (Yawn).  
   I used to leave feedback first because the buyer had done their part, i.e. pay for the item. However, as has been seen, this is NOT the case with paypal orders made by credit card.  The Buyer hasn't actually paid for anything...it's as if the payment is attached to an invisible rubber band they can yank back out of your wallet at any moment for any reason at all.  Since this has become a problem, I recently went to leaving feedback only when I get it.  Guess what?  Things are better than they have been in a long time...no feedback blackmail threats for one thing, also no "Where is my item it better get here soon or you're going to get a neg" notes I typically get from a newbie about two days after they have paid....  I only leave feedback first when it's the case of an Acaeum member or someone I have dealt with before.  When someone leaves feedback, I know they are happy with the order and respind accordingly (I always leave feedback as soon as I receive an item from a seller, myself).

Mike B.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:39 pm 

Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe my lovable, good nature :D has earned me a bit of a Karma bonus . . . but I ride along on a blissful wave of good feelings on eBay. I have never had a complaint from a buyer (possibly one or two polite inquiries from mistakes I made which I quickly rectified). I've never had a chargeback, never a harsh word spoken to me and I even send out orders as soon as checks arrive (I never wait for them to clear and I have never had one bounce). Sometimes I don't hear from a buyer for weeks or payment doesn't arrive for over a month . . . but I just patiently wait it out and send out polite emails now and then and sooner or later they just pay . . . and everything is fine . . .

As long as they don't beat me to it, I leave feedback first and have never had a negative. I don't overcharge for shipping and have never had a complaint. I ship out quickly and have never had an order (domestic or international) lost or delayed or held up in customs.

Sometimes I read all the posts of bad experiences from everyone and wonder if I am on the same eBay?

:D :D :D :D :D :D

( Luckily, I don't have a drop of superstition in my blood or I'd think I was jinxing myself. )

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:45 am 

Badmike wrote:   Like Grayson, I have just recently went to a system of "Leaving feedback after getting feedback" as a seller. (SNIP)
(I always leave feedback as soon as I receive an item from a seller, myself).
Mike B.

Mike, you can set it up so that eBay automatically leaves positive feedback once someone's left you one. You can even add in a bunch of different feedback messages, and it'll randomly pick one, so it's not *quite* so impersonal ;)

And yeah, when leaving feedback for a seller, don't be a moron and do what I did today - leave feedback without flipping through the book you just bought. I know better, but was pressed for time, didn't want to forget to leave FB, and was talking with the guy about international shipping methods and he seems like a good guy.

Then I opened the book to flip through, and it was missing the maps, and had huge coffee stains in a large portion of the book!  :lol:

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:45 pm 

Hi, sorry if its cheeky to ask this here, but the combined ebay expertise
must rival the D&D knowledge..

Just tried "selling for the first time" any helpful feedback on my first
attempt to do this appreciated..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RK:MESE:IT

but more important, if someone tries to pay me with paypal, will it
automatically direct them to send payment to the same account I set
up automatic payment of fees from?

any help appreciated.. ta..

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:07 pm 

I'd say that's an excellent job for a first attempt. It makes me ashamed to remember my first few listings: no HTML, no photos, no exciting description ... frankly, other than my innate coolness, I'm not sure why anyone bid on my stuff. :wink:

If I were to get nit-picky, I'd say the photo could be better. The lighting is a little bit soft and it appears to be a fraction out of focus.

And, yes, PayPal will link your winning bidder up to your PayPal account (assuming they choose to use PayPal, of course). One advantage of the eBay/PayPal merger is that the links between seller and buyer are more accurate and reliable than they were in the "old days."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:19 pm 

Ah, you are overly sincere about item condition. Not that I don't appreciate honesty, mind me, but that goes a bit to your detriment.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:40 pm 

guerret wrote:Ah, you are overly sincere about item condition. Not that I don't appreciate honesty, mind me, but that goes a bit to your detriment.

Agreed.  It's good to err on the side of caution regarding condition, but in my opinion, none of those modules rate "Poor" -- which really should be called "ripped apart".  Fair might be more reasonable.

One very minor nitpick:  You're selling a "Tsojcanth".  Definitely not "Tsojconth", which is far less common...

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:46 pm 

This might be just me, but I tend to get more interested in an item if there are multiple pictures of it? Is that weird?? I've always felt that additional pictures shows that seller is (in my mind at least!) treating the item as "special". I always appreciate, for example, a picture of the contents of a boxed set as well as the contents as it gives me more confidence to buy.

I realise you powerseller guys don't have time to do this but when you're feedback's 1000+ people trust the item is as described just from a simple scan. :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:08 am 

Hey!  Some of us Powerseller guys waste hours of time putting up large scans and always takw pics of box set contents!  (We even right our own html)  :wink:

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:45 am 

As an almost exlcusive buyer rather than seller (I generally sell to my friends first although I will be unloading some comics, SW and baseball cards on ebay soon), I study a seller's feedback rating thoroughly for anything over $10.

Also, I leave appropriate feedback promptly upon receipt. If there's a problem, I email first.

I don't have any problem with a seller refraining from giving me +FB before I give a response after getting my item(s). It only seems fair to my mind. The seller has much more to lose by a damaged reputation than I.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:16 pm 

Lewisexi wrote:I've always felt that additional pictures shows that seller is (in my mind at least!) treating the item as "special".

You're right, but a seller has to gauge the insertion fees to the item(s) being sold.  If you're selling a lot of common items, you don't want to pay extra fees for additional pictures.  If it's something like that Tamoachan up right now, I'd want to see several high-quality scans.

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:24 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
Lewisexi wrote:I've always felt that additional pictures shows that seller is (in my mind at least!) treating the item as "special".

You're right, but a seller has to gauge the insertion fees to the item(s) being sold. If you're selling a lot of common items, you don't want to pay extra fees for additional pictures. If it's something like that Tamoachan up right now, I'd want to see several high-quality scans.

Just to be clear . . . you all know that if you write your own html and upload your own photos to a hosting site, you could show any number of photos (any size) for free? Just to be clear . . . (it's not like I'm paying ebay anything for all those big pics I put up!)

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:45 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:You're right, but a seller has to gauge the insertion fees to the item(s) being sold. If you're selling a lot of common items, you don't want to pay extra fees for additional pictures. If it's something like that Tamoachan up right now, I'd want to see several high-quality scans.

Just to be clear . . . you all know that if you write your own html and upload your own photos to a hosting site, you could show any number of photos (any size) for free? Just to be clear . . . (it's not like I'm paying ebay anything for all those big pics I put up!)

Hi, just to say thanks for all your help on this one.. I had not realised
how to stick all the pictures in for free - so great tip! Hopefully
have corrected all the errors now too - Thanks Deimos!

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:04 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:You're right, but a seller has to gauge the insertion fees to the item(s) being sold. If you're selling a lot of common items, you don't want to pay extra fees for additional pictures. If it's something like that Tamoachan up right now, I'd want to see several high-quality scans.

Hi, just to say thanks for all your help on this one.. I had not realised
how to stick all the pictures in for free - so great tip! Hopefully
have corrected all the errors now too - Thanks Deimos!

Previous