miniatures
Author

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:21 am 

Great thread! I wasn't originally into the RPG minis but then figured it would be really nice to play 1st & 2nd edition rules with some of the original minis from the same era. Well, next thing I know I just bought a huge collection of 600 original Ral Partha, Grenaider and TSR miniatures from a guy selling his collection off. I just took them all. They are sitting on my table in my game area right now, all 600 of them staring at me in rows and in huge piles, waiting to be painted and used in some game 2 years from now!  8O I am simply IN LOVE with the figs for the various classes, fighters, rangers, etc. They represent so well what I think of when I think AD&D. I'm really excited with this collection and really glad I got it. Now for that painting part though...  :?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:53 am 

One word HERITAGE :) I have been collecting these damn things for years now. I don't collect all the lines ( Pirates, John Carter ) or the older Elan Merch ( although I seem to have a boatload of them :? ).

I didn't start seriously until I bought out a Colorado Distributor in 1997 in which I got about 100 sealed Dungeon Dweller/LoTR/Knights & Magic/pre-painted heritage boxsets plus another 200 blisters of Dungeon Dwellers/Knights & Magic blisters. I've sold/traded alot of the box sets for rare D&D stuff but still have probably around 1K+/-  loose/sealed Heritage.

Painting thats another story.....only about a fifth are, just no time  :cry:

My all time favorite Heritage is #1241 "oriental Hobgoblin"

Probably because they were the first ones I ever bought...I still can remember picking them up at good old Woolworth's  :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:02 pm 

Stormber's blow-by-blow account of the Giants battle was very cool.  
I posted this Dwarven Forge forum link in another thread a long while ago but I think it's worth it again to see how IO sets up his battles:

dwarvenforge.com/dwarvenforums/viewforu ... m.php?id=3

Anything posted there by IO is truly amazing, but I particularly like the lizardmen ziggurat, castle on the lake and the lost caverns of Zoroaster.  

I can't imagine playing D&D without miniatures, they add a beautifully visual dimension to the game, plus resolve most spatial issues that arise (I was/was not standing within the fireball radius type of stuff).  
Maybe time for a poll...  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:02 pm 

Apologies if you've seen this before, but I have a site listing all the old Citadel AD&D figures at http://www.otherworld.me.uk.

A very cool range if you need 6 different Liches, 30 different Hobgoblins, Mites, Xvarts, Measels & Snyads, Stirges (I've neever seen them made by another manufacturer), and some of the best Bugbears ever made!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:03 pm 

I like most of the old minis. My favourite has to be this one 'cos one just like it was the first character I ever played in D&D. Looking back I spent far too much time being the DM. I should have enjoyed being a PC more.

I was lucky enough to buy three of these about a year ago, all unpainted but only this one in ints packet. They are still one of my best eBay wins.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:04 pm 

Now, I'll tell you, despite my crowing about my Grenadier #5009 win I go almost exclusively with Reaper minis these days.  I have about 60-80 Citadel plastics (WHFB regiments): skeletons, zombies, black orcs, standard orcs, goblins, Bretonian Militia and Empire Regulars and some skaven and they do fine for massed armies but for characters, some monsters and central bad guys I say Reaper all the way.

Firstly, to my eye, most Grenadier minis and their contemporaries are as ugly as sin.  I find them to be bad sculpts overall.  Grenadier's quality didn't start to pick up until they were out of the TSR license, to be frank.  (Which is weird because Sandra Garrity and a few others at Reaper are ex-Grenadier.)

Reaper covers the gamut.  If you're some addlepated "dungeonpunk" fanatic, the spikey, curvelinear armor and huge swords are present in some Reaper sculpts but they have a lot of "old school" style monsters, characters and so forth.  Look at their Fire Giant, for example.  It looks like a 3d representation of Dave Trampier's drawing in the Monster Manual!  Their line of "templar" fighter types would (assuming a consistent 28mm scale for all parties) look fantastic in a Chainmail battle!

Additionally, Reaper has been pulling out a lot of the old books (I think) when it comes to monsters in general: dark creepers, duregar, derro, a purple worm and a whole lot more cool old-school looking monsters have recently cropped up in their line.

So I'm a Reaper man.

Oh, and someone else in the thread mentioned Dwarven Forge...let me just say that you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't get your hands on even a few sets of this amazing stuff.

Go Reaper and go DF! :)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:06 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I like most of the old minis. My favourite has to be this one 'cos one just like it was the first character I ever played in D&D. Looking back I spent far too much time being the DM. I should have enjoyed being a PC more.

I was lucky enough to buy three of these about a year ago, all unpainted but only this one in ints packet. They are still one of my best eBay wins.

I just picked this one up in a lot I grabbed from a local comic shop. Of the 100+ heritage I grabbed this was the only non-Heritage one I bought. I rerally liked the look as it's probably the only fig I have seen 2handing what looks like a bastard sword...plus for the 25 cents I couldn't go wrong. :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:24 pm 

Daimajin wrote:I just picked this one up in a lot I grabbed from a local comic shop. Of the 100+ heritage I grabbed this was the only non-Heritage one I bought. I rerally liked the look as it's probably the only fig I have seen 2handing what looks like a bastard sword...plus for the 25 cents I couldn't go wrong. :)

They also produces exactly the same fig holding a two handed spiked mace in exactly the same pose. I guess that one was the cleric.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Previous