miniatures
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:31 am 

8O

Well, that's one of the nicest setups I have ever seen.

My (humble) congrats for all that.

Now I feel miserable with mine... and there's a strange voice resounding in my head... BUY MINIATURES AND PAINT THEM... FORGET WORK AND FRIENDS... BUY.... MINIATURES... BUY...

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:40 am 

one of the funniest moments of that self-same module, came when i was DM'ing it. The party entered the cavern and took the offensive, which was rather surprising, considering the amount of opposition.

Then to my horror, the magic-user in the party, let off a fireball. trouble was, he directed it straight ahead *through* the party and into the mass ahead of them. sure he made charcoal of everything there pretty much, but he singed the party REAL bad - thief was the only one who didnt get it (hidden off to the left somewhere as i recall)..... the other thing that happened, was that he made the cavern unstable and the roof ended up collapsing.

they barely got out alive and we didnt play again for a few weeks, cos everyone was sooooo pissed at the guy for what he did :D

i thought it was hilarious! :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:11 am 

Why is it that its always the magic users with a fireball in their books that are the most devastating enemies to the party *looks at his own group*. I think once they reach the level where they get fireball they already went barmy....

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:22 am 

Jupp wrote:Why is it that its always the magic users with a fireball in their books that are the most devastating enemies to the party *looks at his own group*. I think once they reach the level where they get fireball they already went barmy....

Hey Jupp, you are totally right there!!!

Mind you, thats not even the best one. I always play a rule, that when a magic-user is casting, if he is hit/distracted, it doesnt necessarily negate the spell, there is a chance (i do 1 in 4) of it being misdirected at a crucial moment.... which happened when the party were battling Lolth in Q1..... he got hit with a glancing blow from a Dryder, whilst casting "flesh to stone" on Lolth, and therefore mis-directed his casting and ended up turning the cleric to stone :D

amazingly...they actually managed to get out of that calamity with some ultra-fast thinking, which really did impress me i have to say..... they still didnt win in the end tho..... as if! :)

i gotta say tho, back in them days, i really wish i had stormie's mat with miniatures available for the scenario....that would have seriously rocked!

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:28 am 

Fireballs and mistargeted party members just go hand in hand. It is woven into the core fabric of D&D. Anyone who has never been on the receiving end of a "friendly" fireball has simply not played the game!

I have to say lightning bolt is usually just as bad. Those things nearly always have a way of bouncing back! That spell should have named "lightning boomerang." :lol:

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:12 am 

dathon wrote:That was simply awesome! Have you invested in any Dwarven Forge products to give it that last extra oomph? I think we all want to play at stormber's place now... especially with the original DMG painting on the wall too. And I thought I had a lot of minis, whew!  :wink:

I looked and looked, but I can't see the painting you're referring to ... although it does look like there is a semi-nude lady, which is definitely after my taste in art (just ask the wife, heh).

The setup is indeed awe-inspiring.

WWW ICQ  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:10 am 

bbarsh wrote:Fireballs and mistargeted party members just go hand in hand. It is woven into the core fabric of D&D. Anyone who has never been on the receiving end of a "friendly" fireball has simply not played the game!

I have to say lightning bolt is usually just as bad. Those things nearly always have a way of bouncing back! That spell should have named "lightning boomerang." :lol:

oh yeah i forgot.... most of the party armour/weapons/belongings were destroyed too.... try telling a paladin that his lovely +4 defender, is now nicely welded to his plate mail, to which he also had restricted movement as the pommel kept hitting him in the privates if he went too quick :D

oh the good ol days :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:20 am 

beermotor wrote:
dathon wrote:That was simply awesome! Have you invested in any Dwarven Forge products to give it that last extra oomph? I think we all want to play at stormber's place now... especially with the original DMG painting on the wall too. And I thought I had a lot of minis, whew! :wink:

I looked and looked, but I can't see the painting you're referring to ... although it does look like there is a semi-nude lady, which is definitely after my taste in art (just ask the wife, heh).

The setup is indeed awe-inspiring.

That was my imagination running amok.   :wink:
I'm sure it's around there somewhere.... though I'm curious if the other paintings on the wall are from gaming products.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:55 pm 

stormber wrote:Howdy Mike,

Well...

Futures Bright,

Paul

SWEET!  Now I'm pumped up for some 1ST EDITION GIANTS ACTION!  I'm going to dust off the Giant series this afternoon...! The paint jobs on the figures look great, I saw a lot of my same minis in there, I guess my brother is a better mini painter than I thought because his look pretty similar.  Nothing like seeing a great setup like that to make you want to grab the pencils, dice, rulebooks and gm screen and get cracking!
     BTW, on the subject of pictures, my group actually taped going through Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits when I ran it for them in the mid 80's.  It was such a high point because this was their original party rolled up in the late 70's that had adventured all through the original G1-3, D1-3 series.  Of course, like always, the tape has been misplaced or lost for many years.  It would be worth looking at again just for the hairstyle and clothing chuckle factors alone.....
    I wish I could afford more of the Dwarven Forge sets, I got a few when a hobby store (the local WOTC store) went out of business a few years ago.  Those are great, in my group they have taken the place of the "drawing on the grid".  I also like the "spell effects" that duplicate the radius of stuff like a ice storm, fireball, etc.  
 Of course we want MORE pictures Paul...show us the G3 Troll army attack!

Mike B.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:31 pm 

Howdy dathon,

dathon wrote:That was simply awesome! Have you invested in any Dwarven Forge products to give it that last extra oomph? I think we all want to play at stormber's place now... especially with the original DMG painting on the wall too. And I thought I had a lot of minis, whew!  :wink:

We bought over $3,000 worth of Dwarven Forge and quickly found out that they are entirely impractical. So too, they are most definitely not AD&D. The 1" = 5' does not allow for three characters abreast. We use the 1" = 3 1/3'. Also, try representing a 20' wide, giant-sized, hallway and you'll run out of Dwarven Forge quicker than you can say range dowel.

(Did you see my range dowel? I have to keep it away from the players lest they start swinging it around like Bruce Lee.)

The only way to make Dwarven Forge practical is to make your dungeons match what you have and do a pre-setup of the dungeon covered with construction paper or something similar.

Finally the place we play is my friend's house. We play on his pool table which he had a special cover made for us to play on. Then he called Chessex to get the Mega-matt, a special order 8' x 4' eraseable grid map. With that baby you can represent just about anything!

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:59 pm 

I bought a bunch of Dwarven Forge as well, we save it for very special occasions with easy maps.  It is cumbersome to work with.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:24 pm 

Jupp wrote:Why is it that its always the magic users with a fireball in their books that are the most devastating enemies to the party *looks at his own group*. I think once they reach the level where they get fireball they already went barmy....

Been thinking about this a little more...

Jupp hits the nail on the head, albeit inadvertantly. Remember the good old days of 1st edition when fighters would fight, clerics would fight, even theives could go toe to toe with many monsters and humanoids. Then came the pathetic Magic User. No armor, a dagger, staff or dart, needing at an 19 to AC 2 even at 4th level (or 5th???) and on average about 3 HP. Oh yeah, they could throw spells...basically one per level. After just a couple minor scuffles he was out of spells and pretty much out of action. Then our man finally hits 5th level and he can go after that elusive fireball. He has been waiting what could have been months...Guess who is gonna use it first chance he gets? Payback is hell...for everyone involved.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:16 am 

Blackmoor wrote:I bought a bunch of Dwarven Forge as well, we save it for very special occasions with easy maps. It is cumbersome to work with.

Dwarven Forge stuff seems to work best with pre-set encounters where the DM has already set aside the pieces he needs, and can plant them on a grid map when the encounter comes up. Otherwise, they babies are impractical to haul around for gaming purposes...as you said, very cumbersome.  But I love to use them for long, straight, 10x10 hallways that seem to occur in every old school dungeon setting...!

Mike B.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:45 pm 

Not sure if these are the special gold miniatures or just painted.  Evidently juliabulia thought they were.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8749008305

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:12 pm 

:o  :o Hey Paul- (if I can call you that) : What are the chances of having a monthly episode of "Actionous Miniatures Theatre" like you just did- it was entertaining as hell, plus you could show off your mindboggling collection (I felt my skull cave in at that 5,000+ figure post.....400 orcs no less!)

I think it would be cool...... :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:02 am 

If you know anything about superheroes, pick up Twisted Toyfare. You will bust a kidney. I remember one part where a drunken Iron Man pisses in the snow-covered park, and accidentally hits Ice Man who was sleeping in the snow. I think he wrote his name on his chest.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:23 am 

Aw, geez...that rings some bells....is that the toy prices mag? Yeah- I seem to remember that very episode! And the Hulk makes some totally out there appearances....that stuff kills!

I seem to remember some sort of Star Wars series, where ALL the stormtroopers were named Carl.

OK, I guess you guys want your thread back.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:18 am 

I got the same jones at one point for Warhammer 40,000 miniatures.  It reached the point where I could represent armored infantry company battles on a miniature for miniature basis.  

I am sure I used to be smarter before I started handling all those lead miniatures!

:x Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

PreviousNext