Treasure of the Dragon Queen - seeking info/pointers
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:45 am 

Wow, original post was 13 years ago...Talk about a relentless hunt for a long lost tourney adventure.

--Thor

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:43 am 

And, The Quest for the Hunt of the Search for Grodog's Saga of the Treaure of the Dragon Queen continues...

Good luck, hopefully it's out there somewhere :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:31 pm 

The only thing I could find aside from what has already been posted is a reference to the Origins XI tourney in an issue of The General. A repeat of the info already covered, unfortunately. I'll PM you with the details, as it's on a not-likely-legal-PDF.

So, in essence, nothing new really.

Oddly, that particular Origins happened not to far from where I lived then, and now. I had just grajemacated from HS the previous month. It's also where my sister attended college.

And she didn't get me anything...  :cry:

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:30 am 

Thor wrote in Treasure of the Dragon Queen - seeking info/pointers:Wow, original post was 13 years ago...Talk about a relentless hunt for a long lost tourney adventure.

Heh.  My original hunt for the module began in the summer of 2001, to attempt to run the adventure for my younger brother's 30th birthday that fall.  Didn't happen ;)

Thunderdave wrote in Treasure of the Dragon Queen - seeking info/pointers:And, The Quest for the Hunt of the Search for Grodog's Saga of the Treaure of the Dragon Queen continues...

Good luck, hopefully it's out there somewhere :)

I keep thinking that I should dig further into Rutgers' records sometime, but I don't get up to North Jersey very often, so....

SimperingToad wrote in Treasure of the Dragon Queen - seeking info/pointers:The only thing I could find aside from what has already been posted is a reference to the Origins XI tourney in an issue of The General. A repeat of the info already covered, unfortunately. I'll PM you with the details, as it's on a not-likely-legal-PDF.

So, in essence, nothing new really.

Thanks Paul. I have a copy of that issue simply for the TotDQ listing, but I appreciate the thought!

SimperingToad wrote in Treasure of the Dragon Queen - seeking info/pointers:Oddly, that particular Origins happened not to far from where I lived then, and now. I had just grajemacated from HS the previous month. It's also where my sister attended college.

And she didn't get me anything...  :cry:

LOL.  My sister went to Towson too, and I attended a few Origins cons BITD, but never saw anyone else running this scenario.  If they would only have ID'd the DM name, I would likely have been able to  track that person down through old Rutgers University Gamers (RUG) contacts.  C'est la vie.

I have started giving thought to writing the adventure myself, just haven't carved out time to do so thus far....

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:07 pm 

Hey Allan,

did you try looking into any archive of the University's campus newspapers for a listing of the (then upcoming) tournament? Maybe it would have a contact name for someone who attended? I know that's a long shot

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:55 pm 

Thunderdave wrote in Treasure of the Dragon Queen - seeking info/pointers:And, The Quest for the Hunt of the Search for Grodog's Saga of the Treaure of the Dragon Queen continues...

At least he hasn't claimed that it's the original Greyhawk dungeon. Yet.

grodog wrote in Treasure of the Dragon Queen - seeking info/pointers:I have started giving thought to writing the adventure myself, just haven't carved out time to do so thus far....

Until you have time, we'll help you start. It's not a bad idea to make the real-world quest into the story itself. Then when you're at Hollywood parties trying to pitch the idea to Hollywood types, they'll say, "Ooh, that's so meta." Then Quentin Tarantino approaches you & says he'll finance your movie of TotDQ so long as you'll help him perform the stunts for a James Dean biopic he's doing. Leading you out of the party, he takes you to a ramshackle car parked 100 feet in front of a brick wall. "Go ahead & drive the car as fast as you can into the wall. Don't worry, we'll use special effects to make sure you don't get hurt. You want to see TotDQ get made, don't you? Don't you?!!!" You notice he's discreetly removed a large handgun from his waistband.

misterspock wrote in Treasure of the Dragon Queen - seeking info/pointers:TotDQ? Temple of the Dairy Queen? :)

Not a bad idea either. The tournament module is actually an encoded map to a stash of money that originally came from robbing a Dairy Queen. (Don't tell anyone I stole this story thread from The Detectorists.) Or so certain antagonist characters believe, cause when they find it, it's actually a portal from another dimension which brings true peace & enlightenment, then the antagonists' faces melt because they're too non-self-actualized to dig the heavy truths of life. Then the main protagonists show up, still driving the car from the earlier scene (except now it's heavily stained with Tarantino's blood & viscera). Stopping & getting out of the car, our hero runs up to the inter-dimensional aliens. The lead alien pulls off his face to reveal it's a mask (the other aliens are revealed as Dairy Queen employees in uniform) & that the TotDQ tournament was actually...  (Cliffhanger ending to be revealed in the next exciting episode.)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:19 am 

Allan has never been forthcoming about the possibility of lysergic acid diethylamide usage coinciding with his recollection of TotDQ.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:53 am 

Yeah, you're right - TotDQ should be written as something more down-to-earth, like a romantic comedy. The main character pursues the treasure through all manner of adventures, only to realize in the end that the real treasure is his beautiful assistant who's patiently & faithfully complied his campaign notes & dungeon maps. Flashing back to the planning session they shared together at a Dairy Queen earlier in the story, the beautiful assistant removes her glasses & lets down her hair in slow motion, only to reveal that the TotDQ tournament was actually... [To be revealed in the next installment. Come on, people, I can't write this all by myself!!]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:39 pm 

Hi Allan,

I realize that you have found this information before (see below) about Treasure of the Dragon Queen:
RU03 TREASURE OF THE DRAGON QUEEN,
Find and secure the fabled cache before the forces of darkness subjugating the region stumble across it. God knows what will happen if they do. AD&D. 40 Players. 8/Game. TR=C3. W: P. R=5 Hrs. Fee=SS. Prizes: MC/Att.. 1st: $30 MC. 2nd: $25 Me. 3rd' SIS MC. 4th, SIO Me.

I found this in a copy of General magazine Vol. 21 #5, but on page 33 I also found this information:
https://www.vftt.co.uk/Games/Avalon%20H ... No%205.pdf
NORTHEASTER 3, New Brunswick, New Jersey
Contact: Edward Sullivan, Rutgers University Gamers, 320 New York Avenue, Apt. 8, Elizabeth, NJ 07201

Upon further research, I found an Edward Sullivan who could be a match to this guy, as he was at Rutgers at the time.
Article with photo: Matrix News & Press
LinkedIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ed-sullivan-25154824/

Hope this gets you closer to your lost "Treasure of the Dragon Queen"  :D

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:51 am 

I believe you just gave Allan a 3-day chubby. If the guy is one of the people who was in/ran the tourney, he may have some copies or know who would. Well done, Knight!

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:41 am 

PM-Knight wrote in Treasure of the Dragon Queen - seeking info/pointers:I found this in a copy of General magazine Vol. 21 #5, but on page 33 I also found this information:
https://www.vftt.co.uk/Games/Avalon%20H ... No%205.pdf
NORTHEASTER 3, New Brunswick, New Jersey
Contact: Edward Sullivan, Rutgers University Gamers, 320 New York Avenue, Apt. 8, Elizabeth, NJ 07201

Upon further research, I found an Edward Sullivan who could be a match to this guy, as he was at Rutgers at the time.
Article with photo: Matrix News & Press
LinkedIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ed-sullivan-25154824/

Hope this gets you closer to your lost "Treasure of the Dragon Queen"  :D

Many thanks, Paul!  I have reached out to Ed Sullivan; hopefully if he was in RUG, he's still interested in talking to another gamer! :D

Allan.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:26 pm 

Hi Allan,

If Ed does not reply from LinkedIn, which he may not as I typically delete messages from those I do not know, there was a phone number for his work in the article  about him in the link above. I couldn't hurt to just reach out, especially on a Friday, and ask if he is the guy you've been searching for ... that doesn't sound right, but you get the idea  :wink:

Good Luck - Paul

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:59 pm 

Looks like he started a new job since then, but I re-pinged him via a reply on one of his public FB posts, hopefully that catches his eye better than a blind Messenger PM (which goes into that bucket for non-friends and is easy to miss....).  

Allan.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:22 pm 

grodog wrote in Treasure of the Dragon Queen - seeking info/pointers:Looks like he started a new job since then, but I re-pinged him via a reply on one of his public FB posts, hopefully that catches his eye better than a blind Messenger PM (which goes into that bucket for non-friends and is easy to miss....).  

Allan.

As weird as it might be, send him a friend request. Maybe if he accepts, you can at least let him know what you're looking for.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:24 am 

I posted scans of the Turpin Masewelder PC sheet from TotDQ to my blog post @ From Kuroth's Quill - grodog's AD&D blog: Kellri's 18 Module Challenge - Day 12: "Treasure of the Dragon Queen" by Rutgers University Gamers

I do have a few other new leads that I'm following up on too.  So far, though, no news is still no news....

Allan.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:22 am 

After some Qs from Gabriel Meister on FB, I emailed the editor in chief of Rutgers Magazine, their alumni magazine, to see if they'd be interested in a story about RUG and the Northeaster conventions from the 1980s.  I think that there's a decent chance that he'll bite---it's a way to talk about the old RUG org and contemporary gaming at RU.  We'll see ;)

I also wrote to some RUG alumni I've met to see if they have any other old newsletters, etc. that would be of interest to the article.

Allan.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:24 pm 

Sir Grohe and the Beast Glatisant!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:25 pm 

Actually I've always got my eyes open for this too... knowing how important it is for you.

PreviousNext