Treasure of the Dragon Queen - seeking info/pointers
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:10 am 

OK folks, while home in NJ (as reported in the thread at http://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2163), I found my old box of gaming correspondence, as well as my brother Phil's old folder of PCs.

Inside this box were my long-lost personal letters to and from Gygax and Kuntz while they were running NIPI and CU, respectively (as well as my two NIPI Realms of Adventure newsletters, which I literally just replaced prior to my trip to NJ...). These letters started my long friendship with Rob, and I'd thought that they were mistakenly thrown away many years ago. My brother Brian and I found them in a TSR shipping box while we were hunting for Phil's PCs (which we also found).

Relative to TotDQ, among Phil's PC's was his tourney copy of Turpin Masewelder, the 9th LG Cleric he played in TotDQ. (I have a very vague recollection that they asked for the PCs back after the tourney, and I think that I was a goody-two-shoes and turned mine in...).

In my box with the gaming letters were convention programs from the Northeaster 1-3 shows, including the listing for TotDQ, as well as my EastCon '83 program (listing Rob's Maze of Xaene as the AD&D Open).  (My Saga of Old City poster from Dragon 100 appears to be missing, although one of my two Grenadier Solid Gold posters appears to still be around).

I've updated my tourney history page and my TotDQ page with the new info, but I'm now beginning to think that the mists of my memory may have elided two tourney together. It's possible that all of the stuff about the beholder named Claude may be from a different tourney. So, I'm going to run through the tourneys listed in the prereg and onsite programs to see what I played in (I highlighted and made notes throughout, fortunately), and will report back with some thoughts on that when I get a chance (hopefully by next weekend).

In the meanwhile, here are the updated links to the details on my page:

GH Tourneys: http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh_tourneys.html
and Treasure of the Dragon Queen: greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh_tourneys_d ... queen.html

If any of the details for this make anyone remember that they do in fact have a copy of this, please get in touch :D (Frank, do the new details sound like the TotDQ tourney you thought you had before???).

(I'll also add the various up-for-auction RJK tourneys to the GH tourneys page that I don't already list, as well).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Last edited by grodog on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:39 pm 

*bump*

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:27 am 

Periodic bump.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:16 am 

No further updates on my end, alas.  Anyone else ever get any further info?

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:31 am 

Dam Al.. I almost got excited then...

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:09 am 

grodog wrote:In my box with the gaming letters were convention programs from the Northeaster 1-3 shows, including the listing for TotDQ, as well as my EastCon '83 program (listing Rob's Maze of Xaene as the AD&D Open).

TotDQ? Temple of the Dairy Queen? :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:51 am 

i did too brette. and there was me thinking Allan was finally onto a lead...

shame on you Mr Grohe :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:19 pm 

Nothing here, Gro-man. I do remember picking up some Eastcon stuff, but I can't recall when or what, it was a long time ago.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:59 pm 

Whale Tagger wrote:Nothing here, Gro-man. I do remember picking up some Eastcon stuff, but I can't recall when or what, it was a long time ago.

Eastcon stuff, he?  That sounds interesting, even if it's not TotDQ :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:54 am 

I'm not sure if I still have it, but I will run across it soon if I do. You're welcome to whatever I may have.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:27 pm 

So, anyone by chance come across caches of NJ 1983-era tournament info? :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:50 am 

After these many years, I may have an additional Tom Moldvay lead on Treasure of the Dragon Queen.  More details forthcoming, probably after GaryCon!

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:01 am 

I'm still looking for additional information about, and copies of, the Treasure of the Dragon Queen tournament adventure.  I'm posting this in the non-TSR thread so that folks can reply (instead of in Classifieds), in case anyone digs up any info/details.  

Adam over at the Tome found some evidence that the tourney was run at Origins as late as 1985, which means that it was run from 1983 to 1985 for sure, which lends me some additional modicum of hope that copies may still exist, somewhere.  See Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Origins XI (1985) for more info about this:

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:43 pm 

Not to get hopes up but I was wondering if you have tried anyone mentioned in The Wild Hunt zine. I'm currently going through some issues to put up for sale and was reminded that these were East Coast gamers. In the zine they talk about the local conventions they've been to and games they played. The issues I'm going through are from 80' and 81' but I may have some from the 83 to 85 time period. If I come across them I will look over them for mentions of Cons they attended.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote in Treasure of the Dragon Queen - seeking info/pointers:Not to get hopes up but I was wondering if you have tried anyone mentioned in The Wild Hunt zine. I'm currently going through some issues to put up for sale and was reminded that these were East Coast gamers. In the zine they talk about the local conventions they've been to and games they played. The issues I'm going through are from 80' and 81' but I may have some from the 83 to 85 time period. If I come across them I will look over them for mentions of Cons they attended.

I never read TWH back in the day, Jason, and don't own any issues of it.  If you run across anything in your indexing process, I'd love to hear about it, of course.  Thanks for thinking of me :D

I don't know how to follow-up on the Origins events leads, since I assume they still lead back to RUG (Rutgers University Gamers) in the end, and that well ran dry ages ago....

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:25 pm 

grodog wrote in Treasure of the Dragon Queen - seeking info/pointers:
JasonZavoda wrote in Treasure of the Dragon Queen - seeking info/pointers:Not to get hopes up but I was wondering if you have tried anyone mentioned in The Wild Hunt zine. I'm currently going through some issues to put up for sale and was reminded that these were East Coast gamers. In the zine they talk about the local conventions they've been to and games they played. The issues I'm going through are from 80' and 81' but I may have some from the 83 to 85 time period. If I come across them I will look over them for mentions of Cons they attended.

I never read TWH back in the day, Jason, and don't own any issues of it.  If you run across anything in your indexing process, I'd love to hear about it, of course.  Thanks for thinking of me :D

I don't know how to follow-up on the Origins events leads, since I assume they still lead back to RUG (Rutgers University Gamers) in the end, and that well ran dry ages ago....

I grew up in East Brunswick so a lot of my friends from high school went to RU. I will have to check around and see if they know anyone from RUG at that time. The Wild Hunts would be in the #80+ issues I think. Steve Marsh was a big contributor at least in the #40-#60 issues so I wonder if he would be in touch with some of the old east coast guys who were hitting the NJ conventions.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:56 pm 

I have issues of the TWH 61 and 62 in an auction with A&E that I can check for you too.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:46 am 

Thanks guys!---I appreciate any help on this, and would definitely provide a nice finders fee of some sort if someone help me or found me a copy of the tourney!  (I have no idea what, offhand, but I'm sure I could make it worth your while :D ).

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Next