TSR-UK Hobby Newsletter?
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:29 pm 

TSR-UK Hobby Newsletter... Anyone here got these?

Must admit I hadn't delved deeply enough to spot they were "missing" from the official periodical listings. Can't seem to find any reference (Acaeum listings or fora).
Apologies in advance if I'm missing the obvious, somewhere.

Anyhow; six issues from 1980, "through which the D&D Players Association UK (=> "Players Association News") was eventually launched".
(see Imagine #1, page 31)

Seems to be at least as "official" as the likes of the Strategic Preview on the U.S. side of operations, anyhow... ;)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 6:58 pm 

second call...

(would certainly explain why they're not listed, if no-one has a copy... ;))

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:11 pm 

harami2000 wrote:second call...

(would certainly explain why they're not listed, if no-one has a copy... ;))

i never seen one mate, so cant help here, sorry!

Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 10:48 pm 

Wow, that's kinda cool. I've never heard of these, or most likely I just never paid attention if I had seen them. What do they look like? Are they similar to the layout of the Strategic Review? Or maybe digest size?

I've been getting a thing lately for the old UK stuff. It just gives me different feeling than the US counterparts. Not that there better in anyway…or anything like that. I enjoy the US zines just as well. (IMO) It just brings our whole scene a little closer reading about people halfway around the world with the same interests then and now. I especially love flipping through old Beholder's. We have a small box full, many of which I picked up a few years back in Melbourne, FL at a game store right off the interstate. I remember the proprietor had a strong English accent, and told me he was from Liverpool. I got some nice early Warhammer goodies as well.

BTW Issues #6 and #7 of the Players association just sold on the Bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT

David, I just noticed you lost the Starstone. I was going to bid on that, but when I last checked my items being watched list you were in the lead so I didn't bid. I remember reading awhile back that you were after these.

Quick question, I know you won another Starstone awhile back. Are there different Starstones? Printings?

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 11:13 pm 

Heya, Mike,

> Wow, that's kinda cool. I've never heard of these, or most likely I just never paid attention if I had seen them. What do they look like? Are they similar to the layout of the Strategic Review? Or maybe digest size?

Presumably A4 stapled or something like that... But they are stated to be numbered issues and official publications with that hook into later work.
Sounds good enough for listing, I'd've thought.

But waiting for anyone who's actually seen a copy... :?

> I've been getting a thing lately for the old UK stuff.

Tell me that's nothing to do with those zines arriving from Mike <mdr003>? ;)
Those UOs were original prints, too?

> It just gives me different feeling than the US counterparts. Not that there better in anyway…or anything like that. I enjoy the US zines just as well. (IMO)

Heh, heh... You've read the EGG interview in "Thunderbankrupt" (*g/jk*) and his comments on UK fanzines vs. US. :p
Must be true, then!

Not sure whether A&E & TWH being well established so early stifled the development of other zines over with yourselves.
Or else many/most of the other U.S. titles are mostly "local" in nature and hence pretty much unknown.
Any thoughts?

> It just brings our whole scene a little closer reading about people halfway around the world with the same interests then and now. I especially love flipping through old Beholder's.

Agreed. Was certainly one of the best as testified to by the numerous reprints! :)
One of TBHs few flaws was that it knew that, too, and basically had a "stick with us (alone)" approach which surfaced from time-to-time. Off-hand, I can't recall a review of any other zine on their pages.

> We have a small box full, many of which I picked up a few years back in Melbourne, FL at a game store right off the interstate. I remember the proprietor had a strong English accent, and told me he was from Liverpool. I got some nice early Warhammer goodies as well.

Neat...

Amazing what turns up in FL, isn't it? 8)

> BTW Issues #6 and #7 of the Players association just sold on the Bay.
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT

Used to studiously avoid these. One of these days I'll change my mind.
Quite liked that folder, however...

> David, I just noticed you lost the Starstone. I was going to bid on that, but when I last checked my items being watched list you were in the lead so I didn't bid. I remember reading awhile back that you were after these.
> Quick question, I know you won another Starstone awhile back. Are there different Starstones? Printings?

Just the one printing.

Ah; please don't hold back on your bids, Mike. Sorry 'bout that :(
(Is always a good one to have spare copy of, to give away as a "freebie").

If anything, would rather that you didn't bid on the items I'm not bidding on (but where I have a snipe prepared *g*). :roll:

Cheers,
David.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 11:38 pm 

I've always preferred the UK fanzines to the US ones.  A&E and TWH were more like compilations of posts from various fans across the US, kind of foreshadowing electronic bulletin boards except the conversation would unwind much more slowly, of course.  There was very little coherence to them and I ended up selling all my copies of them a while ago.  
The UK 'zines, on the other hand, were coherently edited and generally well-written.  Particularly good were the Beholder, Trollcrusher and Dragon Lords.  I have a pretty large collection of them and am always pleasantly surprised at the splendid and witty writing on gaming along with their joyful enthusiasm for gaming and humour with a "u."  Maybe I'm just some kind of Anglophile, but I always find myself enjoying the 80's UK 'zines and keeping them in my collection, while usually selling the 80's US 'zines.  They just seem really different in content and form.  My two coppers...  :D