Gen Con
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 812, 3, 4, 5, 678
Author

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3597
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Nov 26, 2022
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:24 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:Line drawn cover, no indication of the printing on it. It is a nice addition to my collection, it is getting harder and harder to find reasonably priced stuff to buy that I do not own so this type of stuff is a real find for me.


Sounds like the first print cover; Page not found | ICEWEBRING



Quite a few people on the look out for a half-decent copy of either, mind you.

Surprised you got it for $20! :)




Yes that is it!


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:27 pm 
 

Blackmoor wrote:Yah, Menzter had to tell me and Gus to settle down when we were bidding on the Guidon Chainmail, we were trying to pull each others cards down and Frank said we should be seperated :lol: :lol:  Neither me or Gus won that auction though, we both went down at $400.00 :lol:


*g*. Fun spectator sport, huh? 8)



I'd've been left in the dust on that one: was thinking to leave a proxy bid ~$225-275. Bet it was in better condition than Frank's cautious "unseen" assessment.

Still only got a photocopy of the 2nd, but know I didn't pay that much for the 1st which makes it a bit more difficult...

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:29 pm 
 

Blackmoor wrote:Yes that is it!


:) :)

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3597
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Nov 26, 2022
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:33 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:Yah, Menzter had to tell me and Gus to settle down when we were bidding on the Guidon Chainmail, we were trying to pull each others cards down and Frank said we should be seperated :lol: :lol: Neither me or Gus won that auction though, we both went down at $400.00 :lol:


*g*. Fun spectator sport, huh? 8)



I'd've been left in the dust on that one: was thinking to leave a proxy bid ~$225-275. Bet it was in better condition than Frank's cautious "unseen" assessment.

Still only got a photocopy of the 2nd, but know I didn't pay that much for the 1st which makes it a bit more difficult...




A guy sitting behind the owner of the chainmail overheard his dissapointment with the auction price.  I thought it was high as well but it was a very nice copy.


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:42 pm 
 

Blackmoor wrote:A guy sitting behind the owner of the chainmail overheard his dissapointment with the auction price. I thought it was high as well but it was a very nice copy.


*nods in agreement re. price*



Was just a small scuff according to the seller (<OldLarue>) but guess Frank was being very cautious when I caught up with him.



Maybe they'd seen the price that one fetched when Giorgio (<radagast>) went all-out for the minty white box, too. ($791 including whatever else was in the sale).

Don't know quite how much they might've been expecting, although it certainly had an interesting history, having been bought first-hand at GenCon! :o

  

User avatar

Active Collector

Posts: 84
Joined: May 05, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 20, 2019
Location: Manitowoc, WI

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:34 pm 
 

FYI, I got the Vampire Queen for $320.  It is missing the one map, but it did include a photocopy of that page.  I figures it was worth it just for that.  One of the more experinced collectors (the guy who owns the mint Vampire Queen that was there for display) told me he examined it and it is basically a 1st print with the second print cover sheet also there as well.  As far as I'm concerned, I got the steal of the auction.



Now to buy all the archiving materials to do justice to this baby.



Mark

 ICQ YIM  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3597
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Nov 26, 2022
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:02 am 
 

yaya wrote:FYI, I got the Vampire Queen for $320. It is missing the one map, but it did include a photocopy of that page. I figures it was worth it just for that. One of the more experinced collectors (the guy who owns the mint Vampire Queen that was there for display) told me he examined it and it is basically a 1st print with the second print cover sheet also there as well. As far as I'm concerned, I got the steal of the auction.



Now to buy all the archiving materials to do justice to this baby.



Mark




My bad, lost of action Friday night.


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8241
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2022
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:13 am 
 

harami2000 wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:and there was a set of Tac Cards from judges guild that went for $110.00 I really wanted (actually it was 3 sets and two were uncut).


*LOL* :lol:

Ya better duck now!




awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww feck :(



man that sucks


Are we nearly there yet?

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:07 am 
 

yaya wrote:FYI, I got the Vampire Queen for $320. It is missing the one map, but it did include a photocopy of that page. I figures it was worth it just for that. One of the more experinced collectors (the guy who owns the mint Vampire Queen that was there for display) told me he examined it and it is basically a 1st print with the second print cover sheet also there as well. As far as I'm concerned, I got the steal of the auction.


Read above/previous page. I think you may have, Mark.



And it had a photocopied map, possibly like Tadashi's...? Hmm. Did I guess in advance that that might be the same sheet, too? *waits eagerly to find out*



Please could you join in the PotvQ thread and compare notes with Mike <IO>.

Still want to know what Frank means by "2nd print cover sheet", too!



(Oh, and think yourself lucky I didn't get through on the 'phone, 'coz you would've had to have found at least another $200 if I had ;)).

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 517
Joined: Oct 03, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 07, 2007
Location: windy south florida

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:24 am 
 

harami wrote:



And it had a photocopied map, possibly like Tadashi's...? Hmm. Did I guess in advance that that might be the same sheet, too? *waits eagerly to find out*




It would be interesting if so.



*waits as well*


"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

  


Active Collector

Posts: 28
Joined: Dec 02, 2002
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2005
Location: Suburban Chicago

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:28 pm 
 

Blackmoor wrote:One other thing I just remembered, the auction also included a 10th anniversary combo pack of a bunch of Gangbusters stuff including the boxset. Well the auction caller dropped it on the floor and broke the shrink wrap right open. The peice still went for $70.00 or so, but should have gone for more. Real bad break for the guy who owned the set.




Larry, the auctioneer who dropped it, felt awful about it backstage.  He tracked down the seller, and matched the $70 it went for.

  


Active Collector

Posts: 28
Joined: Dec 02, 2002
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2005
Location: Suburban Chicago

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:29 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:Missing page was a map, probably inside some DM's binder somewhere, I doubt that there is a different printing missing that page.


This one?

Palace of the Vampire Queen • Collecting General •  The Acaeum



Hmm... Is almost as likely that, as with Tadashi's copy, they might've distributed a few minus that map and had to send tri-folded photocopies along later, to those who noticed.

(Would love to know if it was the same map that was missing! :))




The PotVQ was missing the DM map for Level 4.

  


Active Collector

Posts: 28
Joined: Dec 02, 2002
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2005
Location: Suburban Chicago

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:31 pm 
 

Blackmoor wrote:
harami2000 wrote:
:D :D



Sounds like you and others had a great time just at the auction, far less everything else...



Presume some people are still making their way back (or have collapsed on their return! :o).




Yah, Menzter had to tell me and Gus to settle down when we were bidding on the Guidon Chainmail, we were trying to pull each others cards down and Frank said we should be seperated :lol:




ahem... that was me that told you guys to calm down. very funny, though.

  


Active Collector

Posts: 28
Joined: Dec 02, 2002
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2005
Location: Suburban Chicago

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:33 pm 
 

Blackmoor wrote:A guy sitting behind the owner of the chainmail overheard his dissapointment with the auction price. I thought it was high as well but it was a very nice copy.




Strange... there wasn't a reserve on the item.  He should've put a reserve on the item if he wanted a specific amount.

  


Active Collector

Posts: 28
Joined: Dec 02, 2002
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2005
Location: Suburban Chicago

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:43 pm 
 

yaya wrote:As far as I'm concerned, I got the steal of the auction.





As the auctioneer, and having seen all the items first hand, I might agree with you.  But, the missing map was not the only issue.  There were also tears in the top and bottom of the folder (about an inch each.)  Good buy, but not the steal.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8241
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2022
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:52 pm 
 

jtotheb wrote:
yaya wrote:As far as I'm concerned, I got the steal of the auction.





As the auctioneer, and having seen all the items first hand, I might agree with you. But, the missing map was not the only issue. There were also tears in the top and bottom of the folder (about an inch each.) Good buy, but not the steal.




so what was the steal then?


Are we nearly there yet?

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 289
Joined: Feb 20, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 15, 2022
Location: Green Bay, WI

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:06 pm 
 

jtotheb wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:


Yah, Menzter had to tell me and Gus to settle down when we were bidding on the Guidon Chainmail, we were trying to pull each others cards down and Frank said we should be seperated :lol:




ahem... that was me that told you guys to calm down. very funny, though.


That was you, eh?  I was afraid you were mad at us..  :(

Honestly, sitting with Jeff during the auction was one of the highest highlights of GenCon for me.  He is the single most fun guy I know!!

The auction was a BLAST.  You auctioneers did a fantastic job of getting the most money possible for the sellers.  If not for you guys, a number of the rarer items wouldn't have gotten half the money they did!

Next year I plan to bring a number of things to get sold.  8)

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Posts: 1896
Joined: May 01, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 25, 2022
Location: Almost Lake Geneva, WI

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:30 pm 
 

Gus Landt wrote:You auctioneers did a fantastic job of getting the most money possible for the sellers... Next year I plan to bring a number of things to get sold.




Thank you sir, very sincerely. High praise indeed.



I'm in serious brainfade, having just gotten back to Rockford IL, so I won't thank the auctioneers by name, I'd probably miss a couple. Although I started this system back in '84 when we went to downtown Milwaukee, and have been at it ever since (running things most of the time), it rests on the backs of the hard-working volunteers, including those auctioneers.



I made it crystal-clear this year in our (only) staff meeting, with all 50+ present: we're not just 'helping' the sellers, they're paying us to be their agents. We can't do it without buyers with lotsa bucks, of course, but the sellers are our bosses. Period.



Frank

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 812, 3, 4, 5, 678