Gen Con
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:47 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:Well it was missing a page, hard to complete.

$300 discount for a photocopied page ain't bad.

Anyhow, is not the only copy that was missing one page. ;)

Would have thought there might've been a connection, there, even given the stated-hybridness of that one up for sale.

Missing page was a map, probably inside some DM's binder somewhere, I doubt that there is a different printing missing that page.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:48 pm 

(you still haven't mentioned how much your "obscure" SW'd R3 set you back, btw? ;))

congrats on that, no doubt!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:51 pm 

One other thing I just remembered, the auction also included a 10th anniversary combo pack of a bunch of Gangbusters stuff including the boxset.  Well the auction caller dropped it on the floor and broke the shrink wrap right open.  The peice still went for $70.00 or so, but should have gone for more.  Real bad break for the guy who owned the set.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:52 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Missing page was a map, probably inside some DM's binder somewhere, I doubt that there is a different printing missing that page.

This one?

Palace of the Vampire Queen • Collecting General •  The Acaeum

Hmm... Is almost as likely that, as with Tadashi's copy, they might've distributed a few minus that map and had to send tri-folded photocopies along later, to those who noticed.

(Would love to know if it was the same map that was missing! :))

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:54 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Well the auction caller dropped it on the floor and broke the shrink wrap right open. The peice still went for $70.00 or so, but should have gone for more. Real bad break for the guy who owned the set.

8O No insurance.... :( :(

That's very sucky, indeed...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:56 pm 

harami2000 wrote:(you still haven't mentioned how much your "obscure" SW'd R3 set you back, btw? ;))

congrats on that, no doubt!

The R3 went for $270.00, it was real sweet.  I also got an old ICE module called the Iron wind for $20.00 from 1980 and a few minor items I was missing.  Next time I will be more aggresive on the auction floor, I never should have let Troll and Toad buy the shrink R2(slightly torn shrink) for $240.00 and there was a set of Tac Cards from judges guild that went for $110.00 I really wanted (actually it was 3 sets and two were uncut).

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:02 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:The R3 went for $270.00, it was real sweet.

*g*. A bit rich for me! Wonderful provenance, though; just a pity you couldn't really get Frank to sign it! :)

Blackmoor wrote:I also got an old ICE module called the Iron wind for $20.00 from 1980

Original cover/1st print? Usually goes for $45-55 and the replacement cover no that much less. Nice snag, that.

Blackmoor wrote:and there was a set of Tac Cards from judges guild that went for $110.00 I really wanted (actually it was 3 sets and two were uncut).

*LOL* :lol:

Ya better duck now!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:06 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:The R3 went for $270.00, it was real sweet.

*g*. A bit rich for me! Wonderful provenance, though; just a pity you couldn't really get Frank to sign it! :)

It was a little pricing but is so gorgeous, no a better one could possibly exist.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:10 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:I also got an old ICE module called the Iron wind for $20.00 from 1980

Original cover/1st print? Usually goes for $45-55 and the replacement cover no that much less. Nice snag, that.

Line drawn cover, no indication of the printing on it.  It is a nice addition to my collection, it is getting harder and harder to find reasonably priced stuff to buy that I do not own so this type of stuff is a real find for me.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:12 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:It was a little pricing but is so gorgeous, no a better one could possibly exist.

:D :D

Sounds like you and others had a great time just at the auction, far less everything else...

Presume some people are still making their way back (or have collapsed on their return! :o).

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:14 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Line drawn cover, no indication of the printing on it. It is a nice addition to my collection, it is getting harder and harder to find reasonably priced stuff to buy that I do not own so this type of stuff is a real find for me.

Sounds like the first print cover; Page not found | ICEWEBRING

Quite a few people on the look out for a half-decent copy of either, mind you.

Surprised you got it for $20! :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:16 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:It was a little pricing but is so gorgeous, no a better one could possibly exist.

:D :D

Sounds like you and others had a great time just at the auction, far less everything else...

Presume some people are still making their way back (or have collapsed on their return! :o).

Yah, Menzter had to tell me and Gus to settle down when we were bidding on the Guidon Chainmail, we were trying to pull each others cards down and Frank said we should be seperated :lol:  :lol:   Neither me or Gus won that auction though, we both went down at $400.00 :lol:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:24 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:Line drawn cover, no indication of the printing on it. It is a nice addition to my collection, it is getting harder and harder to find reasonably priced stuff to buy that I do not own so this type of stuff is a real find for me.

Sounds like the first print cover; Page not found | ICEWEBRING

Quite a few people on the look out for a half-decent copy of either, mind you.

Surprised you got it for $20! :)

Yes that is it!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:27 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Yah, Menzter had to tell me and Gus to settle down when we were bidding on the Guidon Chainmail, we were trying to pull each others cards down and Frank said we should be seperated :lol: :lol:  Neither me or Gus won that auction though, we both went down at $400.00 :lol:

*g*. Fun spectator sport, huh? 8)

I'd've been left in the dust on that one: was thinking to leave a proxy bid ~$225-275. Bet it was in better condition than Frank's cautious "unseen" assessment.

Still only got a photocopy of the 2nd, but know I didn't pay that much for the 1st which makes it a bit more difficult...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:29 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Yes that is it!

:) :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:33 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:Yah, Menzter had to tell me and Gus to settle down when we were bidding on the Guidon Chainmail, we were trying to pull each others cards down and Frank said we should be seperated :lol: :lol: Neither me or Gus won that auction though, we both went down at $400.00 :lol:

*g*. Fun spectator sport, huh? 8)

I'd've been left in the dust on that one: was thinking to leave a proxy bid ~$225-275. Bet it was in better condition than Frank's cautious "unseen" assessment.

Still only got a photocopy of the 2nd, but know I didn't pay that much for the 1st which makes it a bit more difficult...

A guy sitting behind the owner of the chainmail overheard his dissapointment with the auction price.  I thought it was high as well but it was a very nice copy.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:42 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:A guy sitting behind the owner of the chainmail overheard his dissapointment with the auction price. I thought it was high as well but it was a very nice copy.

*nods in agreement re. price*

Was just a small scuff according to the seller (<OldLarue>) but guess Frank was being very cautious when I caught up with him.

Maybe they'd seen the price that one fetched when Giorgio (<radagast>) went all-out for the minty white box, too. ($791 including whatever else was in the sale).

Don't know quite how much they might've been expecting, although it certainly had an interesting history, having been bought first-hand at GenCon! :o

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:34 pm 

FYI, I got the Vampire Queen for $320.  It is missing the one map, but it did include a photocopy of that page.  I figures it was worth it just for that.  One of the more experinced collectors (the guy who owns the mint Vampire Queen that was there for display) told me he examined it and it is basically a 1st print with the second print cover sheet also there as well.  As far as I'm concerned, I got the steal of the auction.

Now to buy all the archiving materials to do justice to this baby.

Mark

ICQ YIM  
PreviousNext