Gen Con
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:23 am 

See you guys (those that are attending) in about 8 hours, damn I am tired...game before 2 hour drive to convention on little sleep may prove to be a "not-so-good" idea.

~jeff

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:48 am 

GamersRest[FNG] wrote:See you guys (those that are attending) in about 8 hours, damn I am tired...game before 2 hour drive to convention on little sleep may prove to be a "not-so-good" idea.

~jeff

man i am so jealous. i wish i could have got a flight and gotten there :(

hope y'all have a blast.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:32 pm 

Am back from GenCon.

It was awesome, but can't write much as I have a lot of messages to wade through along with emails.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:55 pm 

Gen con is over now, I played in a huge varity of games, spent far to long at the auction, spent way to much cash in the dealer room, got almost no sleep, and the wife won some prizes in the painted competition. Overall great time.

Wife was in the Ace of Aces painting speed painting and the miniatures went for $750.00 at the auction on Saturday, WOW, good cash for that lot.

I got some original artwork in the dealers room from the artist for way to cheap (Heh Heh).

At the auction I would have won much more stuff if the guy from Troll and Toad went home (Ughh!) But I made him pay for some good stuff anyway. Still I ended up with some very obsure stuff as well as a dead mint shrink wrapped R3(yah!)

There were some cool things at the auction I lost such as a Guidon Games 2nd Chainmail ($450.00), an interesting varient of the OCE which included references to dragon magazine and other products in it ($250.00), an incomplete 1st,2nd mixed up vampire queen went for over $325, Mentzers photo copy manuscript of Temple went for $900.00 (holy cow, this is a photocopy already) Original pen and water color cover to Gods, Demi-gods and Heroes went for $1250.00(great price for that piece) and a few other things I can't remember.

Oh! How about an unused pack of matches from the early days of TSR with a Lizard Logo on it went for $42.00

Overall memborable time and well worth it. Definatly back next year!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:59 pm 

Thanks for those realisations. Did the Tamo not turn up, then?

Ah.... I might have won one of the above had my proxy bid been left with Frank. Oh well... :?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:07 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:At the auction I would have won much more stuff if the guy from Troll and Toad went home (Ughh!) But I made him pay for some good stuff anyway.

Hmm... and the money you "saved" involuntarily still wasn't quite enough for that intriguing 4th(-) set which finished just now; eBay.com Item Bid History

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:09 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Thanks for those realisations. Did the Tamo not turn up, then?

Ah.... I might have won one of the above had my proxy bid been left with Frank. Oh well... :?

No Tamo or Inverness, they had some on display with a mint vampire queen, a first woody, a mint Warriors from mars and some other cool display items.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:10 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:At the auction I would have won much more stuff if the guy from Troll and Toad went home (Ughh!) But I made him pay for some good stuff anyway.

Hmm... and the money you "saved" involuntarily still wasn't quite enough for that intriguing 4th(-) set which finished just now; eBay.com Item Bid History

Not a great bid on that lot, I have it all already I was just looking for a good deal!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:11 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:No Tamo or Inverness, they had some on display...

Those are Frank's copies, I thought?

Heh. So that Tamo is waiting for the /next/ auction, then?

Or eBay...

Will see :)

thx for the confirmation

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:14 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:No Tamo or Inverness, they had some on display...

Those are Frank's copies, I thought?

Heh. So that Tamo is waiting for the /next/ auction, then?

Or eBay...

Will see :)

thx for the confirmation

We will see, Menzter sold his copies of R2 and R3 both in shrink.  He is letting out the good stuff slowly.  THe copies of Tamo and inverness were in excellent condition, I almost cried when they told me there were just for display!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:14 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Not a great bid on that lot, I have it all already I was just looking for a good deal!

Final price might have been even more interesting w/o the names inside the covers (to put the purists off).

Might've been tempted to snipe higher if the set didn't have the address label. It did seem to be an earlier box.

Oh, btw, note the eBay category!

Listed in category:          Books > Fiction Books

Certainly didn't hurt: indeed, possibly seemed to pull in a raft load of new bidders not normally seen elsewhere. (Booksellers with large mark-ups, no doubt :P)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:17 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:We will see, Menzter sold his copies of R2 and R3 both in shrink. He is letting out the good stuff slowly. THe copies of Tamo and inverness were in excellent condition, I almost cried when they told me there were just for display!

Display and reference, if they are his copies... Uses them to check up any others which might be offered at auction!

Good to hear Frank's getting more serious $ for the Rs after all those he was selling cheap, a few years back.

How many more orange B3s does he have to go, then? :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:21 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:We will see, Menzter sold his copies of R2 and R3 both in shrink. He is letting out the good stuff slowly. THe copies of Tamo and inverness were in excellent condition, I almost cried when they told me there were just for display!

Display and reference, if they are his copies... Uses them to check up any others which might be offered at auction!

Good to hear Frank's getting more serious $ for the Rs after all those he was selling cheap, a few years back.

Your right, when the weird hybrid Vampire Queen went up for auction they compared it to the Mint copy that was on display, that is how it was confirmed that the copy for auction was missing a page and had a mix of 1st and 2nd printed sheets in it!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:22 pm 

harami2000 wrote:

I sat next to Gus Landt at the auction, he was wondering if you had received your orange B3 yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:24 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Your right, when the weird hybrid Vampire Queen went up for auction they compared it to the Mint copy that was on display, that is how it was confirmed that the copy for auction was missing a page and had a mix of 1st and 2nd printed sheets in it!

D'you mean "1st and 2nd" or "1st and 3rd". Noticed previous GenCon auctions got a bit confused on those, too! But who hasn't? :o

No black folder, then?

$500 sounds an interesting realisation, either way.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:25 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:Your right, when the weird hybrid Vampire Queen went up for auction they compared it to the Mint copy that was on display, that is how it was confirmed that the copy for auction was missing a page and had a mix of 1st and 2nd printed sheets in it!

D'you mean "1st and 2nd" or "1st and 3rd". Noticed previous GenCon auctions got a bit confused on those, too! But who hasn't? :o

No black folder, then? $500 sounds an interesting realisation, either way.

No it had the black folder but a different mix of pages, I am not an expert on this item but it was not all from the same printing.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:27 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
harami2000 wrote:How many more orange B3s does he have to go, then? :D

I sat next to Gus Landt at the auction, he was wondering if you had received your orange B3 yet?

Aww... small world! :D

Maybe I should've taken his cell 'phone number instead of Frank's! ;)

(And so much for the conference centre having a switchboard... closed by 5pm!! :roll:)

=

No. Am still waiting and hoping they should be OK after the amount of packing he used! *waves to Gus* (thx)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:32 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:No it had the black folder but a different mix of pages, I am not an expert on this item but it was not all from the same printing.

Hmm... not a bad price, IMHO.

PreviousNext