Gen Con
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:44 am 

deimos3428 wrote:
ExTSR wrote:
Nowadays I usually call her simply "The PoG" (Person Ousting Gygax), preferring to condemn her to oblivion instead of perpetuating the name in infamy.

Damn it. I bet you just caused the D&D pogs I posted earlier this month to skyrocket in value...I knew I should have gone for them. :lol:

Personally I prefer PoS. I am sure if you use your imagination, you can figure that out. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:25 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:*blows around in hurricane* :lol: :lol:

I hope everything is still okay in I/O land. :wink:  I would hate to have I/O's lair become the Ruins of I/O. 8O :(

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:39 am 

bclarkie wrote:
invincibleoverlord wrote:*blows around in hurricane* :lol: :lol:

I hope everything is still okay in I/O land. :wink: I would hate to have I/O's lair become the Ruins of I/O. 8O :(

:!: black humor to follow :!: :  Yes, but think of the adventures it would spawn as we search the Ruins for treasure.  It would be better than White Plume Mountain.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:54 am 

killjoy32 wrote:lightening things up a tad, what was the best dungeon you ever played?

Sounds OT to me ;>

Gotta be good ol' Tomb of Horrors. Used up a lotta conjured/summoned crits in there. Got to the finale and hunkered down in an AM shell and we called it a draw (but only after looting the rest of the place).

btw, to be proactive: I do lotsa Q&A on Dragonsfoot.org... easier than starting on multiple sites.

-->back to topic

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:39 pm 

The bugbear.

THE bugbear. Mr. Pumpkin-head Himself.

The ORIGINAL black & white pen 'n' ink artwork published in the Greyhawk supplement to the original set, circa 1976...

Artist: Greg Bell

Low-res JPG attached. :)

(text overlaid top & bottom; it's not on the original, duh.)

Photo taken of the actual piece, displayed to the public at GenCon 2005. It's at least 2 feet tall, matted & protected; specs to come.

Disclaimer: The private owner of this piece currently intends to sell it at public auction at the GenCon Game Fair 2006 in Indianapolis, IN but has not formally committed to that sale and reserves the right to alter those plans for any reason.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:43 pm 

Bugbears were originally pumpkin-headed humanoids?  :o

Well, I'm not a fan of everything that was changed in later editions of D&D, but I think I can say that losing the pumpkin-head was not a bad call :P

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:53 pm 

The miniature of Mr. Pumpkinhead Bugbear (Heritage?) is also quite rare.

Anybody got one?

F

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:57 pm 

GenCon 2005 Results: Detail

Unpublished Larry Elmore

ORIGINAL Pen & Ink artwork

and on reverse:

Ltd. Ed. signed & numbered color print

by Larry Elmore

Donated by Mr. Elmore

for Charity sale

All handling costs & fees waived by The GenCon Auction

High bid $700.00

Saturday 20 August 2005

100% of all proceeds donated to:

Legends of Gaming Inc.

a non-profit corporation

315 Haskins Street

Lake Geneva, WI 53147

Designated for use within:

The David C. Sutherland Scholarship

for artists who plan

to enter the game industry

For more information on the Sutherland Scholarship

or other future projects of Legends of Gaming (a 501c3 corp.)

please contact the Treasurer at the address above

We suggest that you consult your tax advisor

on the amount and timing of your contribution.

Please attend GenCon 2006 to bid on

Original Artwork by Mr. Elmore and other major artists

(and 100% tax-deductible!)

to continue our broad support for this worthy cause.

Low-resolution .jpg image attached.

Text added to protect the artist and the purchaser.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:26 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:Bugbears were originally pumpkin-headed humanoids? :o

Well, I'm not a fan of everything that was changed in later editions of D&D, but I think I can say that losing the pumpkin-head was not a bad call :P

i think the pic totally rocks to be honest :)

tell you what frank, youre pulling all the stops out for 2006 here aint ya :)

i had better get saving man!

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:45 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
GraysonAC wrote:Bugbears were originally pumpkin-headed humanoids? :o

i think the pic totally rocks to be honest :)

tell you what frank, youre pulling all the stops out for 2006 here aint ya :)

i had better get saving man!

Yea Al, save all your money to spend on all of the artwork and leave the rest of the stuff for me. :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:26 pm 

Well, its no GenCon, but I'm reporting live from the Canadian National Expo here in Toronto this weekend.  

It's been mostly kids in funny costumes, cards, comics and d20 so far, but I'm having fun at my first con ever...no "fun finds" to report yet -- except for Mars from Acaeum whom I just ran into at a vendor booth!

Gary Gygax and Ed Greenwood aren't around today, but other spied notables include Kevin Sorbo, Marina Sirtis, and Margo Kidder.  I'll write more when I'm not on my Blackberry...if you're in the Toronto area come by the Metro Convention Centre and check it out!

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:03 am 

bclarkie wrote:
Yea Al, save all your money to spend on all of the artwork and leave the rest of the stuff for me. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

well i am real serious about going next year. defo on the planning list. if you can rest assured, that if i am gonna travel that far to go, rest assured that i aint gonna come home empty handed thats for sure :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:37 am 

bclarkie wrote:Hey, btw, who all ended up getting together there. Obviously Gus and Blackmoor did :wink: , but who else did?
         the burntwire brothers, blackdougal, my fiancee and i met for lunch on saturday.  it was a lot of  fun to meet them and we had a good time swapping stories. i had brought some of my rare stuff (which ken fonarow asked me to display in one of the glass cases) which i was showing the burntwire bros on friday, and they brought some of their VERY cool artwork for me to see on saturday. and after a talk about foreign editions, blackdougal produced 2 hebrew only modules. the auctions (as always) were great.  frank mentzer (as well as most of the auction team) does a wonderful job, and i was able to pickup some really nice stuff there. i`m already looking forward to next year and hoping to meet more acaeum members.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:59 am 

Actually, back in the day I found the pumpkin-headed bugbear to be rather more frightening than his tubby replacement.   8)

I mean, I can probably deal with a sneaky teddybear who wears garbage can lids as armor.....but a huge dude with a pumpkin for a head?  No way!     8O

I like the menacing bugbear in the 3.5 monster manual, but I find his strength too low for his hugely muscular picture.  Anyway, talk about off the topic..... :cry:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

PreviousNext