Gen Con
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:48 pm 

harami2000 wrote:How many more orange B3s does he have to go, then?

Just have my 1 shrink'd 1 open. Again, keepers. Back in the '80s-'90s there was a former TSR employee who had grabbed a whole case when they were recalled, and those dribbled out, but he's keeping the ones he has left, too (not many, iirc).

F

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:53 pm 

ExTSR wrote: Lorraine destroyed many cases of 'em... ::sigh::

I can remember hearing that lots of stock was pulped at various times (like when TSR went under). It's too sad to think about.

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:02 pm 

Well, in this case it's the NIPI grudge match.

Gary got forced out in '85 by the internal hostile takeover, when LW bought out the Blumes and 'retired' him.

Kim Mohan & I left TSR in '86 to start New Infinities with Gary. LW sued at 1st opportunity and kept paying lawyers until we ran outta money. In the long run she ran out, too, due to many follies.

While that was going on, she had Gary & I written out of TSR history as best she could (a sudden and distinct change in credits for various products), shredded most of Gary's books and manuscripts & maps, and destroyed all the remaining "R" modules and other early RPGA items.

I at least rescued a lot of original artwork & mss and sold 'em at the 1986 GenCon auction before I walked out. Somebody oughta track down the estate & assets of one guy who bought most of it (now deceased), one Steve Glimpse, an RPGA master player at the time.

LW didn't like us. We didn't like her. So it goes...

Nowadays I usually call her simply "The PoG" (Person Ousting Gygax), preferring to condemn her to oblivion instead of perpetuating the name in infamy.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:04 pm 

ExTSR wrote:While that was going on, she had Gary & I written out of TSR history as best she could (a sudden and distinct change in credits for various products), shredded most of Gary's books and manuscripts & maps, and destroyed all the remaining "R" modules and other early RPGA items.

8O 8O 8O

A crime against humanity if ever there was one...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:08 pm 

ExTSR wrote:
LW didn't like us. We didn't like her. So it goes...

Nowadays I usually call her simply "The PoG" (Person Ousting Gygax), preferring to condemn her to oblivion instead of perpetuating the name in infamy.

very typical of many similar moments in history and such a shame. what an awful waste eh? all that money basically went everywhere else but the place it should have been invested in.

if that isnt a point of how wasteful politics can be, i dont know of anything else that is.

i tell you Frank, i dont envy you and Gary having had to go through all that.

Alan

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:09 pm 

I have spoken with James Ward about his version of TSR's slow de-volution.  A sad tale.   :cry:

Frank, (I feel like I should say, "Mr. Mentzer") was the PoG really trying to be personally vindictive, or did she have some business reason for destroying stock?

Destroying manuscripts sounds really careless.  Almost unforgiveable.   :evil:

And, are you sure your name is "Mentzer?"  I was sure it was "Metzner."   :wink:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:38 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Frank, (I feel like I should say, "Mr. Mentzer") was the PoG really trying to be personally vindictive, or did she have some business reason for destroying stock?

If anybody starts with "Mr." crap then I won't answer further questions from them. I'm a gamer, man.

There are always alleged business reasons... like the PoG really needed the 40 square feet of warehouse space the skids took up (1% or less of the place). Riiiiiight.... It was simply vengeance.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:08 pm 

ExTSR wrote:
There are always alleged business reasons... like the PoG really needed the 40 square feet of warehouse space the skids took up (1% or less of the place). Riiiiiight.... It was simply vengeance.

well either way - it was an insane move imo. what a total and utter waste. sounds like a business (and i use THAT word veeeeery loosely) woman who hasnt actually got a clue whatsoever about business at all.

so frank, lightening things up a tad, what was the best dungeon you ever played?

Al

ps. a particular scene from waynes world comes to mind, when they meet Alice Cooper :D

ah only kidding you sound like a good guy to me

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:20 pm 

*blows around in hurricane*  :lol:  :lol:

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:53 pm 

ExTSR wrote:I at least rescued a lot of original artwork & mss and sold 'em at the 1986 GenCon auction before I walked out. Somebody oughta track down the estate & assets of one guy who bought most of it (now deceased), one Steve Glimpse, an RPGA master player at the time.

I think we could get a team together to manage that :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:49 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
ExTSR wrote:

well either way - it was an insane move imo. what a total and utter waste. sounds like a business (and i use THAT word veeeeery loosely) woman who hasnt actually got a clue whatsoever about business at all.

so frank, lightening things up a tad, what was the best dungeon you ever played?

Al

ps. a particular scene from waynes world comes to mind, when they meet Alice Cooper :D

ah only kidding you sound like a good guy to me

Frank's a standup guy...years ago when Gary Gygax auctioned his old TSR stock off, Frank barely beat me out for Gary's hoard of Divine Right games stillin the SW (I believe there were ten in all). Frank graciously offered to sell me a couple at a very reasonable price, and my brother and I still have those copies.  It's a very nerdy blast to run a game with my set (yes, we still play regularly and easily manage to entice others to join us, it's a fun game) and tell the fellow players that this set has been in the possession of both Gygax AND Mentzer in it's storied history!!!! Sort of like playing on a set of drums that both Bun E. Carlos and Charlie Watts have used...(I was going to say Keith Moon and John Bonham, but I didn't want to jinx the pair of you.....)

As for LW...well, living good is the best revenge.  Years from now the RPG industry greats will be remembered well and hopefully two or three of the RPG museums in the planning stages will sing their praises in exhibits and histories, while human crap like LW will always be remembered the way most of us do now (truthfully, have you EVER seen a kind or good word written about LW?  Ever? There's her legacy right there.)

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:12 am 

ExTSR wrote:

Damn it.  I bet you just caused the D&D pogs I posted earlier this month to skyrocket in value...I knew I should have gone for them.  :lol:

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:44 am 

deimos3428 wrote:
ExTSR wrote:

Damn it. I bet you just caused the D&D pogs I posted earlier this month to skyrocket in value...I knew I should have gone for them. :lol:

Personally I prefer PoS. I am sure if you use your imagination, you can figure that out. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:25 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:*blows around in hurricane* :lol: :lol:

I hope everything is still okay in I/O land. :wink:  I would hate to have I/O's lair become the Ruins of I/O. 8O :(

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:39 am 

bclarkie wrote:
invincibleoverlord wrote:*blows around in hurricane* :lol: :lol:

I hope everything is still okay in I/O land. :wink: I would hate to have I/O's lair become the Ruins of I/O. 8O :(

:!: black humor to follow :!: :  Yes, but think of the adventures it would spawn as we search the Ruins for treasure.  It would be better than White Plume Mountain.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:54 am 

killjoy32 wrote:lightening things up a tad, what was the best dungeon you ever played?

Sounds OT to me ;>

Gotta be good ol' Tomb of Horrors. Used up a lotta conjured/summoned crits in there. Got to the finale and hunkered down in an AM shell and we called it a draw (but only after looting the rest of the place).

btw, to be proactive: I do lotsa Q&A on Dragonsfoot.org... easier than starting on multiple sites.

-->back to topic

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:39 pm 

The bugbear.

THE bugbear. Mr. Pumpkin-head Himself.

The ORIGINAL black & white pen 'n' ink artwork published in the Greyhawk supplement to the original set, circa 1976...

Artist: Greg Bell

Low-res JPG attached. :)

(text overlaid top & bottom; it's not on the original, duh.)

Photo taken of the actual piece, displayed to the public at GenCon 2005. It's at least 2 feet tall, matted & protected; specs to come.

Disclaimer: The private owner of this piece currently intends to sell it at public auction at the GenCon Game Fair 2006 in Indianapolis, IN but has not formally committed to that sale and reserves the right to alter those plans for any reason.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:43 pm 

Bugbears were originally pumpkin-headed humanoids?  :o

Well, I'm not a fan of everything that was changed in later editions of D&D, but I think I can say that losing the pumpkin-head was not a bad call :P

PreviousNext