Ebay & the Current Conflict
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:57 pm 

Hi  I've noticed a few American RPG sellers on EBay obviously have some strong views:  some sellers wont ship to France or Germany  some sellers are offering discount shipping to the UK   Cheers, Malcolm

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:32 pm 

The conflict is most likely due to the French and German views of the United States war with Iraq. Political mumbo jumbo

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:23 pm 

I only except money orders from the Axis of Evil... otherwise, I'm cool with everyone. :)

-------------------------------------------------

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:21 pm 

lawrenson wrote:Hi  I've noticed a few American RPG sellers on EBay obviously have some strong views:  some sellers wont ship to France or Germany
 But they don't mind shipping to Iraq?? ;)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:55 pm 

USPS won't let you ship anything over 12 ounces to Iraq, due to sanctions.  So, unless you are sending an early D&D module, approx. 175 magic cards, or a couple of computer chips, it ain't gonna go by the Post Office.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:55 am 

I know a few ebay sellers who won't ship to France and Germany because of bad ebay (not UN) experiences they have had.  Am off to Paris for a few days soon - what's french for 'old roleplaying shop?' - vieux magasin de jeu? (or something like that).

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:38 pm 

[quote="lawrenson"]Hi  I've noticed a few American RPG sellers on EBay obviously have some strong views:  some sellers wont ship to France or Germany  some sellers are offering discount shipping to the UK   Cheers, Malcolm[/quote]  This is a joke, right? Please, tell me this is a joke... I can't imagine something so absoluely stupid and offensive (regarding to game collecting, I mean) than a moronic 'policy' like this.   So sad...   :cry:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:12 pm 

No joke.  I didnt bookmark it for an exact quote, but it went something along the lines of: "I am willing to ship to those members of the armed forces who are unfortunate enough to be stationed in one of these ungrateful nations."  And from the seller who I bought some modules from: "Yes sir, you are correct on the shipping, a bonus to my friends (in the UK)in the war against terrorism"  I don't look much at the American auctions (cos of postage), but I would assume that if you searched through Ebay there would be many similar in different categories.   Cheers, Malcolm    
Sotterraneo wrote:
lawrenson wrote:Hi  I've noticed a few American RPG sellers on EBay obviously have some strong views:  some sellers wont ship to France or Germany  some sellers are offering discount shipping to the UK   Cheers, Malcolm
 This is a joke, right? Please, tell me this is a joke... I can't imagine something so absoluely stupid and offensive (regarding to game collecting, I mean) than a moronic 'policy' like this.   So sad...   :cry:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:39 pm 

Stupid policy and stupid American sellers, what you expect? Were the same ones who are calling french fries, freedom fries to piss of the french, etc.  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:18 pm 

I fail to see what's so "stupid" about a person's decision to not sell to French or German buyers. Anyone with half a brain will realize that there is no clear "right" or "wrong" view of the current policies that the US or France or Germany have adopted. Pretending that there is shows either an amazing lack of thought or tendency to promote some pre-existing view. Given that, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. A seller who decides not to sell to certain countries because they feel it shows support for their country has as much of a valid view (or as much of an invalid one depending how well you can argue it) as someone who writes "Stupid policy and stupid American sellers, what you expect?"  Here's a suggestion - how about we stick to talking about RPG in here and leave the politics out. But, as Dennis Miller says, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 12:10 am 

Amen, Brother!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:50 am 

[quote="evl"]I fail to see what's so "stupid" about a person's decision to not sell to French or German buyers. Anyone with half a brain will realize that there is no clear "right" or "wrong" view of the current policies that the US or France or Germany have adopted. Pretending that there is shows either an amazing lack of thought or tendency to promote some pre-existing view. Given that, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. A seller who decides not to sell to certain countries because they feel it shows support for their country has as much of a valid view (or as much of an invalid one depending how well you can argue it) as someone who writes "Stupid policy and stupid American sellers, what you expect?"  Here's a suggestion - how about we stick to talking about RPG in here and leave the politics out. But, as Dennis Miller says, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.[/quote]  This seller has decided to how support for his country attacking indiscriminately all French or German gamers that, I suppose, perhaps had not so a great say in shaping their countries' position about War on Iraq. So I could consider that boycotting US goods and insulting American citizens here in Italy, regardless of their opinion on the matter, is absolutely right. I always strive not to generalize anything but this STUPID seller has decided to strike to all the French and German people he can reach.   So sad, for Europe and for US, seeing such ideas circulating.  :(   This is my opinion of course.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:18 am 

:evil: What the.... :evil:   Being as I am in the Air Force and on the chopping block to deploy to unknown classified locations I guess I'll throw my 1 cent of 5 in.   Some of these sellers might be acting out of patriotism and others might be acting out of spite. But we as Americans live on the principle of freedom of speech and expression. If they wish to expess themselves by not selling to the Germans :x  or the French :x  or whoever than that is there right. If we badger them on their decisions and demand they change their ways then we are no better that any other dictatorship or regime that limits freedom of speech or expression of its people!!!!  On the other hand they could be just shooting themselves in the proverbal foot and miss out on some possible high bidders on their products. :twisted:  DUMBASSES!!  I also agree that this is not the place for political debats. This is (WAS) one place I could go and not have to deal with that CRAP!!!  As for forgiving those who would bring about the destruction of the American philosophy and way of live I give you this quote:  "I BELIEVE THAT FORGIVING THEM IS GODS FUNCTION. OUR JOB IS SIMPLY TO ARRANGE THE MEETING"  God bless the coalition force troops, the UK and the USA!  Kosh  PS Read my quote and you'll see my stance on things and your damn right this is MY opinion!!

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:57 am 

[quote="Kosh Vorlontay"]:evil: What the.... :evil:  Some of these sellers might be acting out of patriotism and others might be acting out of spite. But we as Americans live on the principle of freedom of speech and expression. If they wish to expess themselves by not selling to the Germans :x  or the French :x  or whoever than that is there right. If we badger them on their decisions and demand they change their ways then we are no better that any other dictatorship or regime that limits freedom of speech or expression of its people!!!! PS Read my quote and you'll see my stance on things and your damn right this is MY opinion!![/quote]  Let's put it this way: collective 'punishment' is not the best feature of democracy.