Weird stuff you notice flipping through your collection
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:11 pm 

Thought I'd share one I came across lately while going through several OD&D Greyhawk supplement printings:
pg. 28, top wrote:Meteor Swarm: A blast of four Fire Balls (Jim!). thrown in whatever pattern the caster desires, each of 10-60 points of damage--or eight Fire Balls (Jim!) of one-half normal diameter and 5-30 points damage may likewise be thrown.  Range: 24" .
Who is "Jim"?  :?

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:21 pm 

He's either referring to James Ward, or James T. Kirk.  I'm leaning towards Jim Ward.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:29 pm 

Traveller wrote:He's either referring to James Ward, or James T. Kirk. I'm leaning towards Jim Ward.

That would make sense.  Anybody know if James Ward invented the Meteor Swarm?  If sort of looks like he's being chastised here for the number of fireballs thrown...  :)

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:31 am 

Who is "Jim"? :?

Pretty sure the OD&Ds predated Jim Ward. He was not part of the original gang that used to hang out at Gary's & play. I'm trying to remember the exact circumstances of his arrival, but nothing's coming to mind.

Lloyd Brown

Just some guy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 7:55 am 

LloydBrown wrote:
Who is "Jim"? :?

Pretty sure the OD&Ds predated Jim Ward. He was not part of the original gang that used to hang out at Gary's & play. I'm trying to remember the exact circumstances of his arrival, but nothing's coming to mind.

Check the date of M Alpha or ask Jim over on the Dragonsfoot thread.

Rob Kuntz ought to know the details on that. I always thought it was an exclamation (like "darn" or "wow") and not someone's name.

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 7:28 pm 

I asked Jim.  Let's see what he says.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:27 pm 

Well, the official word from Jim is this:

James M Ward wrote:There is kind of an amusing story behind that. Yes it does refer to me. Back in the good old days when the AD&D game was being playtested I wasn't high enough level to actually have a Meteor Swarm but I could get them on scrolls. At the time I needed something more substantial than fire to do the job against my enemy. It wasn't clear what the spell did and I maintained (as long as it wasn't written down any where) that the spell generated a huge mass of flying rocks. Rob Kuntz as the referee disagreed with me, but had to give me my due because it wasn't written down yet. When those rules came out, suddenly my interpertation was 'legally' wrong, sigh and the once useful Meteor Swarm became less usefull. That's life in the rough and tumble world of AD&D and D&D. ;)

Jim Ward

So there y'all go.  Gary's humor at work.