DM Guide 2nd Alpha error
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:59 pm 

I almost blew it today. I was looking through all the DM Guides I have to put together a large lot of D&D stuff and one of them I was going to throw into a lot this weekend has orange flyleafs and end sheets so I looked into it further and lo and behold it is one of the 2nd printing alpha error DMG's!  My wife would have killed me if I had sold that by error. It is in decent shape, I would say good to fine. It has the bubbling effect, a chaosium to hit chart taped into the front cover and a previous owner's name in ink on the front cover flysheet, but all pages (MM ones as well) are in good shape.

YAY!! Finally found a rare decent thing.
pleveich

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:23 pm 

pleveich wrote:YAY!! Finally found a rare decent thing.
pleveich

*YAY* indeed! Congrats. on the find! :D
More than just a bit "decent" given their current (and possibly, foreseeable?) rarity! :P

Spending some time looking through for such "details" can sometimes pay serious dividends... :)
(Pity that copy doesn't have any more "history" (does it??)).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:36 pm 

Thanks harami.  I am sure glad I did not let that go. I have no idea in which eBay lot I bought it, I may have to look back through and see. Maybe the person I bought it from is the original owner. I will try to find out. Does anyone have any idea exactly how rare this is or how many slipped into circulation?

John Pleveich

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:41 pm 

pleveich wrote:Thanks harami. I am sure glad I did not let that go. I have no idea in which eBay lot I bought it, I may have to look back through and see. Maybe the person I bought it from is the original owner. I will try to find out.

Would be good to know, that; so long as they don't get too suspicious as to why you're asking! ;)

pleveich wrote:Does anyone have any idea exactly how rare this is or how many slipped into circulation?

Even the regular printing figures are somewhat open to question, but as to how many of those escaped recall is anyone's guess!
At present, it's just as likely another hundred will eventually turn up in reasonable condition, as another fifty, or ten, or five...

(Just now, in half-decent shape, would be surprised if it was "worth" less than $225-250).

Are you away hunting for more now, John? :D
*watches bulk DMG purchases and /that/ question appearing on future eBay sales...*

Regards,
David.

p.s. The stated auction price on Page Not Found is still in error. That was Dave Sutherland's first print.
No "2nd Alphas" have been knowingly sold via eBay, afaik.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:59 pm 

Thank you for the information David. I have no plans to sell it at this time unless someone gave me an offer I could not refuse. It does make you wonder how many rarities like this slip in between the large lot cracks though. Hmmm maybe time to start a poll on how many of these are around. :?:

John Pleveich

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:02 pm 

pleveich wrote:Thank you for the information. I have no plans to sell it at this time unless someone gave me an offer I could not refuse. It does make you wonder how mnay rarities like this slip in between the large lot cracks though. Hmmm maybe time to start a poll on how many of these are around. :?:

John Pleveich

Don't think you'll need a poll; Paul has the only other copy, afaik.

*prods the forum*

But we're only a very small number of people here and this "error", just like our good friend ST1, is much more likely to be found in the hands of Joe Public than any serious "collector".

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:21 pm 

Wow pleveich! I am sooo jealous. How many 232 Dungeon Masters Guides must a body buy to find one with Monster Manual pages bound in?
(rhetorical)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:10 am 

ifearyeti wrote:Wow pleveich! I am sooo jealous. How many 232 Dungeon Masters Guides must a body buy to find one with Monster Manual pages bound in?
(rhetorical)

More than are currently owned by other members of the forum (plus lurkers), I'd guess, judging by the lack of response! 8)

Let us know if you find any more about the history, John, or whether you get that "offer [you] could not refuse". ;)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:37 pm 

* bump *  

(Found the thread with the other owner of one . . . pleveich)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:38 pm 

The guy's probably going to be flooded with PMs now.   :D

Let mirth prevail!