The Collector's Trove Presents The Robert J Kuntz Collection
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:20 pm 

Look at this guy, he is going crazy now, WTF? :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:22 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
bclarkie wrote: Welcome to eBay

Who the heck is this spivminder guy? Guy has 1 feedback in 3 years on EBay and he just got that a week ago, yet he has one quite a few of the RJK auctions and for some serious money at that. :?

Look at this guy, he is going crazy now, WTF? :?

I have sent him an email ... maybe we have a new member for our forum.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:57 pm 

I don't know him, although several RJK/GH fans/collectors did write to me over the course of the auctions.  I hope he/she decides to join us.

I was kind of surprised that the Domesday book sold so cheaply, and that the 1975 GenCon tourney also didn't go for more....

As for the song, I'm sure I'll add it to my GH site.  I don't sing well, although my wife does, so perhaps I'll be able to arrange my first GH multimedia download :D :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:46 am 

bclarkie wrote:Welcome to eBay
Who the heck is this spivminder guy? Guy has 1 feedback in 3 years on EBay and he just got that a week ago, yet he has won quite a few of the RJK auctions and for some serious money at that. :?

Oh, with just a "little" bit of pushing from the underbidder, in some cases...
eBay.com Item Bid History

grodog wrote:I was kind of surprised that the Domesday book sold so cheaply, and that the 1975 GenCon tourney also didn't go for more....

Somewhat as expected, though, due to the format. (i.e. "too much" at once, most of the serious money items towards the end).

*nods*. I would have bid/paid quite a lot more for a few of those items as "one offs", but look at my bidding sheet;
Welcome to eBay
($2,500 of my snipes actually registered on eBay: if more than a few of the big ones had "landed", it was goodbye summer holiday and/or "round 2").

As it was, that made for some "bargains" in the lowballing department.

For example, $68 for the first Sorceror's Scroll ms.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5200495294
(well done Mike; wish I could've bid higher! ;))

Or $21 for Ayelarach. (Thought you had a chance there, Allan, so left well alone).

Picked up one or two that way myself, anyhow.
Think my best one had to be the "Wand of Fogs" ms. at $21 (one of the earliest magic items and some very interesting looking 1973-74 "stats" on the "monster").
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5200499976

Thanks, Paul. Shall we say that was an "interesting" experience...? :D

As for the next batch...

grodog wrote:As for the song, I'm sure I'll add it to my GH site. I don't sing well, although my wife does, so perhaps I'll be able to arrange my first GH multimedia download :D :D

*lol* :lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:20 am 

harami2000 wrote:Oh, with just a "little" bit of pushing from the underbidder, in some cases...

Now that's just silly money for a piece of hex paper with very little on it. :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:49 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
harami2000 wrote:Oh, with just a "little" bit of pushing from the underbidder, in some cases...

Amen :wink:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:36 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:

I don't wanna criticize the auctions, but this thought occured to me too.  

In terms of content, even I could have drawn better maps/character sheets/etc than some of these...but that's not where the value lies, of course.  It's in who made them, when, and why.  Obviously some people are going to go crazy over this stuff more than others...

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:57 am 

deimos3428 wrote:In terms of content, even I could have drawn better maps/character sheets/etc than some of these...but that's not where the value lies, of course. It's in who made them, when, and why. Obviously some people are going to go crazy over this stuff more than others...

And it is for that reason that we all await the publication of Badmike's  Undiscovered Undermountain campaign.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:35 am 

johnhuck wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:Now that's just silly money for a piece of hex paper with very little on it. :D

Amen :wink:

Had really been hoping everyone else was thinking along those lines, so I could've bagged a HOLY ARTIFACT for $50 or thereabouts. :o
Oh, well... ;)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:43 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:In terms of content, even I could have drawn better maps/character sheets/etc than some of these...but that's not where the value lies, of course. It's in who made them, when, and why. Obviously some people are going to go crazy over this stuff more than others...

And it is for that reason that we all await the publication of Badmike's Undiscovered Undermountain campaign.

I'm not famous yet, so the value would be limited.  Wait until I publish my first novel, then I'll be auctioning off all my old hex sheets, scrap paper with monster stats, doodles, and character sheets with massive erasure marks under "Hit Points" ...

Mike B.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:18 am 

Howdy All,

Well fought battles by all. Improvstone, what happened on the Maze of Zayene 2 artwork? Congrats to bros. burntwire on that one.

Rob is quite pleased, as am I.

David (harami), that 1972 hex map is the earliest example of D&D play of any kind, ever! And it was the earliest surviving adventure run by Gary Gygax and played by Rob Kuntz and Ernie Gygax. I think you rightly placed your value on that one!

Like I have told Rob, I really didn't have any idea how people would react to such artifacts - this auction is fairly unprecedented. It was really very wide open as far as what people considered valuable.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:04 pm 

Badmike wrote:I'm not famous yet, so the value would be limited. Wait until I publish my first novel, then I'll be auctioning off all my old hex sheets, scrap paper with monster stats, doodles, and character sheets with massive erasure marks under "Hit Points" ...

Mike B.

If that's the case, you wanna start keeping all your trash. Put it in a lockup or something. You could retire on it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:06 pm 

:)
Thanks, Paul. That's one I'd've liked to have bid more on "just in case"- actually thinking I might have been up against <IO> although I was hoping for <$100- but had to chicken-out given the other auctions/bids that followed.

(Similarly tonight; plus I need to be up at 5am tomorrow, so it's kinda difficult to baby-sit snipes through until 4.30am...).

=
*takes a look at the current bids on tonight's auctions*

Sorry, Allan, I couldn't see any option but to lob in a hefty bid on the "Bottle City"...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5200885984

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:17 pm 

harami2000 wrote:*takes a look at the current bids on tonight's auctions*

Sorry, Allan, I couldn't see any option but to lob in a hefty bid on the "Bottle City"...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5200885984

No worries David, I have time to check out the bids after I get home from work, after you've gone to bed :twisted:

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:33 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
grodog wrote:I was kind of surprised that the Domesday book sold so cheaply, and that the 1975 GenCon tourney also didn't go for more....

Somewhat as expected, though, due to the format. (i.e. "too much" at once, most of the serious money items towards the end).

As it was, that made for some "bargains" in the lowballing department.

For example, $68 for the first Sorceror's Scroll ms.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5200495294
(well done Mike; wish I could've bid higher! ;))

Or $21 for Ayelarach. (Thought you had a chance there, Allan, so left well alone).

Hi David -

Yeah, I was very happy to snap up the Scroll manuscript for $68 - I thought for sure it would go for about double that. I'd put in my max snipe with that in mind, and when it finished it meant I had some cash left to spend, so I had to have a quick look around to see what else I could put some bids on.

I thought I'd snagged the Greyhawk contract cheaply too, for about 3.5 seconds until your bid came in over the top. I had to be content with the royalties document only. And Burnie Bros were conspicuous with their relatively few bids - unfortunately for me one of their targets was one of Tom Wham's character sheet - I was keen to grab Tomovar but it's off to Indianapolis.

All in all, a fantastic collection of auctions and it was great to watch the action while it lasted. More to come today of course, but I think I'll just be watching from the sidelines as a couple of real artifacts go under the hammer.

Thanks Paul for all the hard work in putting the auctions together.

Regards

Mike

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:52 pm 

mdr003 wrote:Yeah, I was very happy to snap up the Scroll manuscript for $68 - I thought for sure it would go for about double that. I'd put in my max snipe with that in mind, and when it finished it meant I had some cash left to spend, so I had to have a quick look around to see what else I could put some bids on.

Good to hear: no, I wouldn't had matched that bid of your's, regardless. Just cost you more money...

mdr003 wrote:I thought I'd snagged the Greyhawk contract cheaply too, for about 3.5 seconds until your bid came in over the top. I had to be content with the royalties document only.

Urrr, sorry... was a declared intent, that one (both research and "nice to have", even if they are photocopies).
Ended up costing more than all my other successful bids put together. ;)

mdr003 wrote:More to come today of course, but I think I'll just be watching from the sidelines

*g*. Don't think anyone would hold you to that, if you've still got money burning a hole in your pocket! :P

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:45 pm 

Great:  thanks to my old laptop's touchpad, I now have a typo in one of my bids:   Evil Wizard's tower - item 5200852471 should NOT have been a $3712 bid.  Is there any way for me to fix that?  I already emailed and called Paul, but he's not home at the moment :/

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:49 pm 

grodog wrote:Great: thanks to my old laptop's touchpad, I now have a typo in one of my bids:  Evil Wizard's tower - item 5200852471 should NOT have been a $3712 bid. Is there any way for me to fix that? I already emailed and called Paul, but he's not home at the moment :/

I will fix it for you!!  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

*<jacks up allan's bid>* {j/k} :wink:

Sorry Allan, there isn't much that you can do except hope Paul gets home before the auctions end and cancel your bid.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

PreviousNext