The Collector's Trove Presents The Robert J Kuntz Collection
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:56 pm 

stratochamp wrote:congratulations mike, well done from bill77197719. i was trying to put in 3987 at the last second but dialup did me in. ack. but anyway, a job well done with all of your wins !

Well to be honest you would have won with that sort of bid ...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:58 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:So maybe we'll have the pleasure of seeing the Pit published some day?

Rob expressly retained all rights to publish his works, he just had Paul sell the originals. The idea behind the auction is to raise funds so that we can all, eventually, have copies of these wondrous artifacts in our collections (though in bound and printed form, of course).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:11 am 

Well all congratulations to all who won big tonight, especially Paul, I am hitting the sack. :wink:

Brian

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:13 am 

Yeah, me too.  And congratulations to Paul on a tremendously well done job!  Very interesting, and VERY entertaining!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:17 am 

Ah, 'tis the lurker on the threshold of the forum who bid me up an astronomical amount on Fo(r)malhault. (Well, big dollars here, anyhow!).
Thanks for the competition. ;)

That, and the "Seven Cryptical Books of Hsan" were the "largest" items I'd hoped to win; which is how things turned out (surprisingly? :)).

eBay.com Item Bid History
eBay.com Item Bid History

Here's me thinking I'd've been bidding mostly against those from other (non-Acaeum) realms...

stratochamp wrote:congratulations mike, well done from bill77197719. i was trying to put in 3987 at the last second but dialup did me in. ack. but anyway, a job well done with all of your wins !

Hrr.... major pain when that happens. :( :(

Glad to see you managed to pick up a few other "choice" items, though. :)

=
thx for those auctions, Paul, even though I could swear yer trying to give some of us heart attacks (with $6k of "live" bids on the table!). ;)

(Now; how many more Greyhawk levels does Rob have stashed away...? *waves*)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:02 am 

Howdy All,

Well it looks like it will all wrap up at $20,000! A few straggling items left here and there. 201 items were sold, 24 items went unsold, and I have about 3-4 miscellaneous items to put up.

Please be aware: SECOND CHANCE offer scams will surely follow. Always confirm with me first! I deputize all of you to instruct other folks to do the same. (There is not a second copy of Bottle City!)  8O

Thanks everyone. Truly an unprecedented auction. Your wives and girlfriends will hate me!  :P

I am tired and the real work has yet to begin!

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:18 am 

I might have forgotten to mention that I cleaned the toilets at TSR during their first year. I happen to have a few modules I wrote while on the job.

Whirlpool of Yellow Death
Attack of the Brown Turtle
DM's LOGbook
Quest for the Holy Shiite
In Search of the Smelly Starfish

I'll be posting them on eBay soon, though I don't expect to get shyte for them.
All in fun........
Serious question, though, what prevents anyone from copying the notes/maps/etc. and selling them? I'd be much more comfortable buying an R prepub. I don't question the authenticity of the items that just sold, but I hope you guys are planning on keeping them!

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:56 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Serious question, though, what prevents anyone from copying the notes/maps/etc. and selling them? I'd be much more comfortable buying an R prepub. I don't question the authenticity of the items that just sold, but I hope you guys are planning on keeping them!

Frank, trust you to put a negative spin on things  :roll:

I for one will enjoy the items I have won.  :D  

The enjoyment of walking into my study and seeing these artifacts hanging on the wall more then makes up for the small amount of money I have spent. I expect this is the same enjoyment Invincible <* waves*> has every time he walks into his den or the enjoyment Harami <* waves*> has when his research leads to a new discovery.

To all that have won today enjoy your wins :!:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:47 am 

:) Thanks for a great auction Paul!

:) And Congrats all, I think everyone in the gang got something…and that's way cool!

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:57 am 

1 bid, 1 win - five Dungeon mags and a letter with Rob's John Hancock on it  :D

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:16 am 

Negative? Me? Never! I'm out of the business, so I have no reason to piss on anyone's Cheerios, not that I ever did.
I AM taking ofers on the Toilet mods though. I want to be flush with cash.
Honestly, congrats to all the winners. It is a shame to see a cracking collection of unique artifacts broken up, but that is the name of the game!

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:45 am 

i really fancied some of the module items there....but sadly, my funds definately wouldnt have stretched that far. am glad they will be well taken care of tho!

well done to all the winners...you now (or will do anyway) hold a very specific piece of history and imo, well worth every penny, even if "its just a scrap of hex paper with some notes on it" etc...

improv...when you frame it, show us a pic of it, so we can all feel envious of you together :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:34 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Negative? Me? Never! I'm out of the business, so I have no reason to piss on anyone's Cheerios, not that I ever did.
Honestly, congrats to all the winners. It is a shame to see a cracking collection of unique artifacts broken up, but that is the name of the game!

Frank, I'd make you an offer on those mods, but I'm already kind of "wiped"...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:39 am 

afoolandhis$ wrote:
Deadlord36 wrote:Negative? Me? Never! I'm out of the business, so I have no reason to piss on anyone's Cheerios, not that I ever did.

ooh a bidding war!!  :D

hey frank, youre in there chummer....$$$ here we go :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:08 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:

ooh a bidding war!! :D

hey frank, youre in there chummer....$$$ here we go :)

Al

Oh, dont get to crazy with your offers. I have read those modules before and they are all pretty crappy. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:16 am 

bclarkie wrote:Oh, dont get to crazy with your offers. I have read those modules before and they are all pretty crappy. :wink:

well it would still be a shame, seeing them go to WASTE wouldnt it? Seen as there is so much SHITE about already  :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:05 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Serious question, though, what prevents anyone from copying the notes/maps/etc. and selling them? I'd be much more comfortable buying an R prepub. I don't question the authenticity of the items that just sold, but I hope you guys are planning on keeping them!

In my (non-legal, but hopefully somewhat informed) understanding of copyright law, copying and selling the auctioned works is a publication and distrubition of the maps/modules/notes/whatever, and this would be an infringment on Rob's copyright, therefore it is illegal without Rob's permission.

My old DM from out here just graduation from the Berkeley law school, and he specialized in intellectual property law.  I'll see what he has to say about this, too.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:40 am 

grodog wrote:

In my (non-legal, but hopefully somewhat informed) understanding of copyright law, copying and selling the auctioned works is a publication and distrubition of the maps/modules/notes/whatever, and this would be an infringment on Rob's copyright, therefore it is illegal without Rob's permission.

My old DM from out here just graduation from the Berkeley law school, and he specialized in intellectual property law. I'll see what he has to say about this, too.

I believe you're correct, grodog, but DL didn't say anything about legally.  ;)  

It's a valid concern if you're collecting rough, unpublished manuscripts/artifacts...of course the only real answer is buy from someone you trust.  These items would not be so difficult to copy/forge, and copyright law isn't going to help after someone's taken your money and vanished.

YIM  
PreviousNext