The Collector's Trove Presents The Robert J Kuntz Collection
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:07 pm 

Howdy Folks,

Just posted the first announcement of this auction: viewtopic.php?t=2170

It's been a lot of hard work so far but there are some true relics of the game and some Holy Grails for Greyhawk collectors. Over 200 lots!

I just thought I'd post this link for any discussions or questions you might have.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:11 pm 

*watches Ian don his Full Plate armour, readying himself to do battle with the hordes*

:D

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:24 pm 

Won't help.   :twisted:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:43 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Won't help.  :twisted:

Hehe.  Well, to carry the analogy too far, I'm donning my leather and wielding my wooden practice sword, but you gotta try...  I warn you now...nobody gets stuff for less than $0.05!

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:50 pm 

stormber wrote:Domesday Book 13 Castle & Crusade Society '72

DIBS!

Somehow I do not think that is going to work.... :(

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:53 pm 

Hey! Allan. There's a lot there for your ongoing Greyhawk research.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:52 pm 

Wow, just wow.

Can't wait to see the auctions themselves.  Going to be a lot to look at.

Lucky you to be able to look at all the stuff.  :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:35 am 

i've vowed to cut back on my spending atm, due to other commitments, but there are 4-5 items in that lot i really want, so nobody will be getting THEM items cheaply :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:52 pm 

That's a sweet list.

Question for you:  is he willing to transfer copyright for the manuscripts?  Or would that have to be negotiated with Robert separately?

Lloyd Brown

Just some guy

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:57 pm 

Howdy Lloyd,

LloydBrown wrote:That's a sweet list.

Question for you: is he willing to transfer copyright for the manuscripts? Or would that have to be negotiated with Robert separately?

No. The purpose for the auction is to generate funds to get some major publishing accomplished for his vast collection of gaming materials. However, I am sure Rob would be willing to entertain proposals for any such work as he is still an active writer and designer in the RPG industry.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:23 pm 

Howdy,

beyerun wrote:Wow, just wow.

Can't wait to see the auctions themselves. Going to be a lot to look at.

Lucky you to be able to look at all the stuff. :D

Oh yeah! The Greyhawk items are just amazing. Rob spent an hour on the phone with me just explaining how Demonworld came to be. Erac and Ayelarach, Fraz-Urb'luu and the great misadventure that followed from the bowels of Greyhawk Castle.

One of the great treasures is the 1972 map created after an adventure run by Gary. Their idea was to create fictional stories from previously played games. Rob sat down and drew out the map for the adventure after it had been played! This adventure was run by Gary two weeks after he, Ernie, and Rob went up to see Dave Arneson to play in Castle Blackmoor using modified Chainmail rules. Thus this map is a relic of the creation of D&D. Quite incredible.

There is also Rob's completed manuscript for the original City of Brass, not the one "finished" by Kenzer and Co. with a ghost writer while Rob was out with a shattered leg. There was some additional 50,000 words from Rob that never made it to print and now, probably never will!

Then there is the original artwork, the letters, the manuscripts, the Greyhawk and Empire of the Petal Throne adventures, THE BOTTLE CITY LEVEL for Greyhawk Castle, Rob's dice, yes the ones that laid Mordenkainen low in Maure castle over 30 years ago, the same ones that determined that a gated Zeus wanted nothing to do with helping Erac and Ayelarach on Demonworld against Fraz-Urb'luu, the ones that saved Jim Ward's wizard Bombadil from an untimely death at the hands of Yeenoghu while retrieving the Invulnerable Coat of Arnd, the ones that were rolled to shatter the doors of Zuggutmoy's prison, the one's that rolled successful dispels to free the 9 demigods imprisoned within Greyhawk Castle, the ones that helped Robilar survive the first playtest of Tomb of Horrors and WIN the lich's treasures!!! (Hold on the dice are glowing and floating around the room again!)

(There, back in their tin. Relics are so darn pesky sometimes!)

Where was I... Ah yes, in the immortal words of Howard Carter, "Wonderful things!"

Futures Bright,

Paul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:17 am 

Will there be an annotation as to which items will probably never get published and which may be published in the future?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:26 pm 

Given Rob's tumultuous publishing history, I wouldn't expect many of the unpublished gems to see the light of day.  Also, based on a response from EGG on ENWorld, all of the original Castle Greyhawk maps are being completely redrawn for the Castle Zagyg project, therefore these are probably about the only chance to own authentic levels from the true Castle....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:39 am 

I don't see any Castle Greyhawk stuff up yet? Maybe eBay haven't updated their servers. I can only see as far as City of Brass, and those have no pictures. :(

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:00 am 

Howdy,

mbassoc2003 wrote:I don't see any Castle Greyhawk stuff up yet? Maybe eBay haven't updated their servers. I can only see as far as City of Brass, and those have no pictures. :(

It's coming... There are over 200 lots. I'll post more tonight, Tuesday, and Wednesday night. Rob discovered some things that are quite amazing and is mailing them today. I paced the listings to account for slipping these new things into the stream of listings by tommorrow or Wednesdsay night.

There are two real crown jewels yet to be listed.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:01 am 

And the crown jewels are?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:28 am 

Yeah, come on, don't leave us hanging!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:34 pm 

Howdy All,

I posted a few more games tonight. The Ragnarok board design is just too cool! He and Terry did it up for TSR in '78 or so. Wow!

Rob found the original painting for the City of Brass module commissioned by Creations Unlimited in 1988!

As to Crown Jewels, the Bottle City level of Greyhawk Castle, Demonworld map, and the Pit of Guburah are on the diadems. The last is a D&D tourney from '75-'76 after the release of Gods, Demigods, and Heroes Rob created a Pit Fiend in a mountain dungeon (to be set in the Draschengrab Hills of Greyhawk). To have high enough level characters for the dungeon, Rob created a set of pre-generated PC's for the adventuring party. These heroes were taken directly from Gods, Demigods, and Heroes and include Fahfrd, Grey Mouser, Conan, etc. !!

Erik Shook helped fill out certain details and possibly did some maps for it.

Rob has really gotten enthused about the auction and has been digging for things all over Milwaukee. The City of Brass painting was at the printer since 1988 for an outstanding balance of $41 for the printing of the City of Brass flyer for Creations Unlimited. The balance was left unpaid by Erik Shook and Rob never bothered to get it because it was Erik's responsibility! They kept it all these years, Rob went over today and they still had it. Rob paid the bill and the painting is on it's way to me.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Next