WHITE DWARF?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:20 pm 

I am looking to pick up a few copies of the white dwarf(probably on ebay) and I was wondering if anybody has any recommmendations in regards to isssue #'s. Most interested in high quality modules for D&D and AD&D! Also interested in cool rules additions that are good enough to actually get used in a campaign! I know nothing about white dwarf so any feedback in relation to overall quality of this magazine would be greatly apppreciated!

Posted: seeking arcane knowledge, will pay well for old writings,books,scrolls,alchemist cookbooks, and other odds n' ends that will aid me in furthering my pursuits!

-Thenraine the silver magus

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:11 pm 

White Dwarf Issue 34 is relatively cheap and contains Paul Vernon's Trouble at Embertrees (Paul Vernon of Starstone fame). If you're not wanting to but the collection, you may be better off buying Best of Articles 1-3 and Best of Scenarios 1-3.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:16 pm 

Thenraine wrote:I am looking to pick up a few copies of the white dwarf(probably on ebay) and I was wondering if anybody has any recommmendations in regards to isssue #'s. Most interested in high quality modules for D&D and AD&D! Also interested in cool rules additions that are good enough to actually get used in a campaign! I know nothing about white dwarf so any feedback in relation to overall quality of this magazine would be greatly apppreciated!

The issue numbers with the series on a typical AD&D town were pretty good...the name of the series (and the town) escapes me right now, but it ran in the 40's for about five issues.  Pretty much any issue from #30 to about #70 you can't go wrong. Very skimpy in content as regards to Dragon magazine at the same time, and the scenarios are of extremely varying quality (whereas the scenarios typical of Dragon mag at the same time were uniformly superior quality), but they make for good reads if you like old time 1st edition D&D and haven't read through them before. In regards to rules additions most of the White Dwarf stuff (IMO) was pretty far out there, as was the monsters previewed in their Fiend Factory inserts (many went on to be used in the Fiend Folio, so you sort of know where that is coming from).  If you can pick them up cheap, say a lot for $5 or so apiece, I doubt you will be disappointed.  Beyond issue #90 or so there is really no reason for the AD&D gamer to pick up any issue.

Mike B.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:38 pm 

That would be Irillian, Issues 42 through 47, and reprinted in Best of Scenarios 3. With regard to Dragon Magazine, you're probably best to but the Archive CD set (the first 250 issues on a 5 CD set). The early issues of Dungeon are also good.

What sets White Dwarf apart is the 'flavour' of the magazine. It is tayloured to a British audience and the articles and scenarios just seem to 'feel' different.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:27 pm 

I prefer White Dwarf (<90) to its equivalent Dragon.

Although WD was a lot smaller, for me there was always a hell of a lot of filler in the typical Dragon issue.

In some ways WD was far more cultured - for example, Dave Langfords "Critical Mass" fantasy/sci-fi fiction review columns are several trillion time better than the reviews in Dragon/