Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil...
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:45 pm 

I was wondering why the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil has become such a collecable item in such a short time. I'm looking for it on eBay, but it sells more than the Temple of Elemental Evil itself...
Amazone goes even higher with the price of the sequal: US$ 86 while the old module does US$ 50...[/i]

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:36 pm 

Availability. Greyhawk setting.

That about sums it up. Like the H series, publication run was low (relative to other modules).

For this particular item, it is more about percieved scarcity than actual collectable value.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:49 pm 

Reizla wrote:I was wondering why the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil has become such a collecable item in such a short time. I'm looking for it on eBay, but it sells more than the Temple of Elemental Evil itself...
Amazone goes even higher with the price of the sequal: US$ 86 while the old module does US$ 50...[/i]

*meh*. Paid $114 for my copy... :?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5189349274

==
bbarsh wrote:Availability. Greyhawk setting...

*waves "hiya" to returning "old-timer"* ;)
Good to see ya back!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:14 am 

RTTTOEE isn't rare or uncommon, you'll find a copy (or more) of it on eBay any time. But it's a supermodule, 192 pages and it has the references to the old supermodule. Thus, demand is high. You should be able to find one for between $25 and $30, less if you only need a playing copy. Reminds me, I need to upgrade mine.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:48 am 

Its also a kickass module, took my group 9 months to get through it.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:13 am 

Ralf Toth wrote:RTTTOEE isn't rare or uncommon, you'll find a copy (or more) of it on eBay any time. But it's a supermodule, 192 pages and it has the references to the old supermodule. Thus, demand is high. You should be able to find one for between $25 and $30, less if you only need a playing copy. Reminds me, I need to upgrade mine.

I bought mine straight out of a store for whatever the list price was ($20?) a few years ago... It seems goofy for people to be paying outrageous prices for d20 crap.

WWW ICQ  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:37 am 

beermotor wrote:I bought mine straight out of a store for whatever the list price was ($20?) a few years ago... It seems goofy for people to be paying outrageous prices for d20 crap.

Ok, time for my "d20 jab of the day":  If you take out the words "outrageous prices", your statement is still true...  :P

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:45 pm 

Guess I'm lucky to have found mine some in at my used book store, so I picked it up while it was still relatively low, plus my employee discount.

:twisted:

The Wraith - [email protected]

Yin & Yang Productions on eBay:
http://myworld.ebay.com/yinyangpro

WWW ICQ YIM  

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:36 pm 

Ralf Toth wrote:RTTTOEE isn't rare or uncommon ...

That's what I was thinking, too. Sometimes, it seems as if these items have sort of a "regional" factor to them — for example, when I lived in Southern California, I frequented both a games shop and a comic shop that, almost always, had at least two copies available for the entire "Return" series. And here in Reno, I'm pretty sure my favorite store has a copy of RTTTOEE just sitting there, gathering dust, as we speak (I actually haven't visited in a couple of weeks, so I couldn't say for sure).

Anyway, I can't help but wonder if some items tend to more popular in some areas, if some items have occasional distribution problems, or if there's some other factors at play here. It strikes me as odd that I've had zero problems finding RTTTOEE and have never paid more than cover price for any of my copies.