Please help identify this art
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:57 pm 

We need help identifying what these pieces of art are from. This is the info we have:

-Bryan Gibson piece(B&W ninja chick) is possibly from a Polyhedron
-Dzczudlo(B&W wizard at alter) we have seen this on an ad for G. Gygax's Dangerous Journeys, but we think it was used somewhere else.
-Erol Otus(pencil drawing of MU/Thief & ink drawing of Drow Captain) were used for miniature design but were they ever published?
-James Holloway(OA painting?) possibly from a Dungeon or Dragon magazine.
-Jeff Dee(Salamander) any ideas?
-Jeff Dee(characters) possibly counters from a mini-game?
-Lakey(ettin attack) possibly used in a TSR catalog
-Lakey(lizardman?) card art?
-Monte Moore(Skeleton painting) ?

Here is a link to the photos of the art:

Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shawn
&
Devon

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:28 pm 

burntwire wrote:-Erol Otus(pencil drawing of MU/Thief & ink drawing of Drow Captain) were used for miniature design but were they ever published?

I know I've seen that piece in one of the D modules -- D3 perhaps.

Monster Manual.

Foul

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:32 am 

burntwire wrote:-Erol Otus(pencil drawing of MU/Thief & ink drawing of Drow Captain) were used for miniature design but were they ever published?

I don't recognize them, but I'll do some digging and see what I can turn up.  You could always email Erol to ask him; if you need his info, shoot me an email.

I think this one's from a module, actually, perhaps C2???

-Jeff Dee(characters) possibly counters from a mini-game?

The Dee thief looks similar to one from Rogues Gallery I think.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 6:18 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:

I know I've seen that piece in one of the D modules -- D3 perhaps.

That's a representation of someone who's grafted on the Claw/Eye of Vecna, obviously ... so maybe from some of those modules?

WWW ICQ  

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:12 pm 

I was referring to the Drow captain.  Haven't seen the MU/Thief one before.

Foul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:55 pm 

Thanks guys. If you see any of these pieces please let us know. Some of these pieces seem familiar but we can't seem to locate what they are from.

-The MU/Thief w/Hand and Eye of Vecna also has a description sheet with it and was probably used as a miniature(if anyone has a mini like this please let us know)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:59 pm 

IMHO, I think that the Jeff Dee Thief looks like something that was maybe intended for Deities & Demigods, but for whatever reason was left out. I say this because the artwork is almost identical to many of the pictures that he drew for the book. In researching this, I was able to find an Art gallery with a lot of of his 1st edition work, although unfortunately none of it seems to match up. :( Here is his home page:

IO - The Modular Data Center Technology Leader

And here is a link to a lot of his early AD&D/D&D artwork :

The Unofficial Jeff Dee Gallery | V&V Emporium

For reference, look at the Deities & Demigods page, the thief looks very very similar to those drawing. I also must say that the latter site is very impressive because the pics just bring back floods of memories. :D Looking further, the Jeff Dee shield and staff may also fall into the same category as the Thief, being something that was ommitted from Deities & Demigods. I am going to continue to try and find some more info, in which I will update my post later. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:17 pm 

burntwire wrote:Thanks guys. If you see any of these pieces please let us know. Some of these pieces seem familiar but we can't seem to locate what they are from.

-The MU/Thief w/Hand and Eye of Vecna also has a description sheet with it and was probably used as a miniature(if anyone has a mini like this please let us know)

I've never seen a minature exactly like that, but the figure's general look is close to one of the Grenadier Action Art MU/Thf figures---I think the same set that the Drider and Drow Captain appear in.  He wields a wand and a crystal ball IIRC.

FWIW, the MU/Thief drawing actually reminded me first of Tomorast from WG5 rather than someone sporting the Hand and Eye of Vecna.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/