Who currently owns a Woodgrain Box Set.
Poll: Which Woodgrain Box Set do you own?

1st Print Woodgrain Set. 3%       3%  [ 2 ]
2nd Print Woodgrain Set. 8%       8%  [ 6 ]
3rd Print Woodgrain Set. 11%       11%  [ 8 ]
1st & 2nd Woodgrain Sets. 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
1st & 3rd Woodgrain Sets. 1%       1%  [ 1 ]
2nd & 3rd Woodgrain Sets. 4%       4%  [ 3 ]
1st, 2nd & 3rd Woodgrain Sets. 1%       1%  [ 1 ]
Multiple copies of each. 4%       4%  [ 3 ]
None. 36%       36%  [ 26 ]
Are you freakin' Crazy, I can't afford any of them!!! 32%       32%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 73

Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:29 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:WHAT?! BLASPHEMY!!! :twisted: :P :wink:

sorry chummer what can i say? whilst i like all that kinda old stuff, there are other things which pique (sp?) my interest more than that does.....cant all be the same you know :)

now if someone sold me one for £100 then ok i would prb take it :)

I'm with Kill. Boxed sets of rules, Rulebooks, different printings, etc really dont' do anything for me.  I mean, if one fell into my lap it would be great.  But I wouldn't pay over, say, $100 for a Mint 1st print woodgrain.  Rulesets and Rulebooks just dont' do anything for me. I'm far more interested in scenarios, modules, adventures, etc, particularly non-TSR offerings of the time (since I didn't buy these when they came out).  These are what really bring me back and get the nostalgia machine in my mind going, especially when it's a 20+ year old scenario I've never read through before.  There was just something about the late 70's/early 80's and picking up a brand new module like G3 or D1 or S2 and tearing off the wrapper to read through and mentally fit your party into that adventure (oh, man, these new evil elves the Drow are going to KICK MY PARTY'S ASS!).  My group was run through practically all the "letter" series as soon as they came out, and that's what I still enjoy looking at. A first print PHB or DMG or MM, OCE set, woodgrain, etc, well they are undoubtedly worth quite a bit and fun to own, but personally I spend virtually no time looking at these items, while I have been known to pull out GDQ1-7 or T1-4 or the Slavers series and waste an hour or so re-reading and basking in past adventures.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:14 pm 

Badmike wrote:
A first print PHB or DMG or MM, OCE set, woodgrain, etc, well they are undoubtedly worth quite a bit and fun to own, but personally I spend virtually no time looking at these items, while I have been known to pull out GDQ1-7 or T1-4 or the Slavers series and waste an hour or so re-reading and basking in past adventures.

Mike B.

I am agree with that, even if i would be very excited to get one relic, i spend more time reading modules... because of lack of translation, i have played only a few of them. And the discovery is great.

This afternoon, we began UK2 the Sentinel. Great ! Those monsters from FFolio are so vicious -what, a symbiotic jelly? 8O
Yes man! :P

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:03 pm 

youffie404,

You DMing or playing?

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:56 pm 

Badmike wrote:I'm far more interested in scenarios, modules, adventures, etc, particularly non-TSR offerings of the time, Mike B.

you hit the nail right on the head there chummer. gimme modules and scenarios any day of the week over rulebooks. i make my own rules up anyway, so whatever :D

i read back over the old modules quite often and reminisce over the times they were played and consider the different styles i have seen them play/be DM'd. THAT is probably what has been my biggest passion of RPGing...the interpretation of the material and how it was all pieced together by others.

rulebooks to me, is like being back at college again, studying for exams :)

sod that for a game of soldiers :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:41 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
Badmike wrote:I'm far more interested in scenarios, modules, adventures, etc, particularly non-TSR offerings of the time, Mike B.

you hit the nail right on the head there chummer. gimme modules and scenarios any day of the week over rulebooks. i make my own rules up anyway, so whatever :D

i read back over the old modules quite often and reminisce over the times they were played and consider the different styles i have seen them play/be DM'd. THAT is probably what has been my biggest passion of RPGing...the interpretation of the material and how it was all pieced together by others.

rulebooks to me, is like being back at college again, studying for exams :)

sod that for a game of soldiers :D

Al

I have to say guys, I'm in agreement.  I just LOVE taking out those old modules and poring over them.  ESPECIALLY my recently-acquired Lost Tamo!   8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:39 pm 

Don't you just love the Tamo cover art?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:59 am 

youffie404 wrote:
Badmike wrote:
A first print PHB or DMG or MM, OCE set, woodgrain, etc, well they are undoubtedly worth quite a bit and fun to own, but personally I spend virtually no time looking at these items, while I have been known to pull out GDQ1-7 or T1-4 or the Slavers series and waste an hour or so re-reading and basking in past adventures.

Mike B.

I am agree with that, even if i would be very excited to get one relic, i spend more time reading modules... because of lack of translation, i have played only a few of them. And the discovery is great.

This afternoon, we began UK2 the Sentinel. Great ! Those monsters from FFolio are so vicious -what, a symbiotic jelly? 8O
Yes man! :P

Im envious, I love UK2/UK3 series, I've run them both a few times together and separately.  Last time I ran UK2 was a couple years ago, just used the lair of the Half orc bandits, it was the final foe of a low level party that was clearing out an island inhabited by pirates and bandits.  Great stuff!

Mike B.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 6:59 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:youffie404,

You DMing or playing?

DMing, as usual!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:13 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Don't you just love the Tamo cover art?

Swear to god, man, I've already spent more time looking at that module than any of the others.  It's incredible.  I'm not worthy!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:08 pm 

Not me. And at $2k, I am not about to get one soon. I do have early books but not box, So my incentive is not huge.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:45 pm 

Badmike wrote: ....I wouldn't pay over, say, $100 for a Mint 1st print woodgrain....

Man I would...... 8O  and then some...... 8)

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:14 pm 

I have a second printing which I bought when it came out.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it is very dark.  (Groucho Marx)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:07 am 

I got my 3rd print woody last year off from ebay for 500something including Supplements 1-5, some of them 1st prints (Blackmoor was even signed by Mr. Arneson). All in Ex to VFine condition. Given those insane prices we have now for OCEs I wonder what a 3rd or 2nd print might bring now on ebay  :?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:24 am 

Don't have one of any kind, just an early white box.

I didn't buy it new because we were mostly playing 1st Ed. But I remember one sitting on the hobby store shelf for what seemed like a year...with a discounted price tag! It was most likely a third.

I am afraid you are gonna have to pay big bucks for one now...or scramble high and low and become "lottery" style lucky to find one at a garage sale...therefore, for me anyway, luck is out the window, and I will have to lay out big bucks.

But, since I am mainly a 1st Ed. collector, I am not in a hurry to get one...but it would be nice. :D

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:50 am 

bbarsh wrote:I am afraid you are gonna have to pay big bucks for one now...or scramble high and low and become "lottery" style lucky to find one at a garage sale...therefore, for me anyway, luck is out the window, and I will have to lay out big bucks.

But, since I am mainly a 1st Ed. collector, I am not in a hurry to get one...but it would be nice. :D

I can't remember how I voted, but bbarsh brings up a good point.  If you don't pay big bucks for one of these, (or any other rare), the temptation to sell is always there, gnawing at you.  If you paid a hefty sum, you're more likely to hang onto it, I should think...

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:37 pm 

*looks at the voting again*

Could the other person who just voted "multiple copies of each" please confirm the relative constancy- or not- of the cover points (+ apparent ink colors on the relevant M&M and M&T), if they have both 1st print versions (or more, if there are others, too).
per post;
Re: OCE question

Thank you, in advance.
David.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:38 pm 

eh... this one's due a bump, I think.
*looks around for any more woodgrains amongst our new forum members*

PreviousNext