aside: Clock reset... ;)
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:32 pm 

Neat trick; reply appearing before the post it referred to...

Shady dealers of the past • Page 17 • Collecting General •  The Acaeum

Just noting here in case anyone else gets confused in the next few hours. Is a temporary "problem", only).

(Will remove this post when the time discontinuum has unravelled :)).

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:34 pm 

Yep, it's temporary.  But things are going to be wacky for the next twelve hours.  Sorry gang.  :(

Foul

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:36 pm 

(Well, at least time has started again; yeah that "flood post trigger" is a pain when time goes backwards! :P)

Thanks for the confirmation, Scott.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:36 pm 

And just think, this happens at the VERY SAME TIME that the forum readership record is matched (and maybe broken, in the next few minutes).  Why can't these things happen when everyone's out doing other things?  :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:43 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:And just think, this happens at the VERY SAME TIME that the forum readership record is matched (and maybe broken, in the next few minutes). Why can't these things happen when everyone's out doing other things? :)

*g*. Just increase the "active user" timespan from 5 minutes to 20 or 30, like many other forums use. :P
Anyhow, I suspect the peak numbers are higher now, since it no longer counts lurkers like myself, no?

(The other "useful" measure of forum "health" I've used elsewhere is the number of users signed on within the last week; this has grown from 90-95 to around 105-110 over the last couple of months, although still have to take into account those who don't (and will never) post :(. *waves hiya to y'all*).

Back to "business"... thx, again. :)

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:45 pm 

Unfortunately, it looks like the forum is smarter than I am.  If you reply to a message, it's going to post your reply based on your posting time.  Which means -- since we just lost twelve hours -- that your new post is not necessarily going to appear at the end of the thread.

Again, this will be completely cleared up in twelve hours.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:48 pm 

*nod nods*

If it were otherwise, you could've ended up with those twelve or so users stuck in a time loop for ever. Am sure you'd've gotten no thanks for that! :twisted:
(Probably the only way I'm gonna be able to outbid Mike <IO> any time soon, though! ;))

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:50 pm 

harami2000 wrote:*g*. Just increase the "active user" timespan from 5 minutes to 20 or 30, like many other forums use. :P
Anyhow, I suspect the peak numbers are higher now, since it no longer counts lurkers like myself, no?

Oh, there's lots of ways I could artificially boost the record, if my ego demanded it.  Increasing the "active user" timespan is certainly one avenue.  Counting guests (most of which are search engine spiders) is another -- at any given time, there's usually about a dozen (!) spider IPs on the forums.

The record does count "lurkers" -- hidden, registered users.  Hidden users don't count towards the "Registered users online" number, though.  That's why the forum record was just matched, even though the "registered users online" number didn't get over 11 or so.  Lots of folks like to remain hidden.  :)

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:53 pm 

Although it just occurred to me why the record was matched.  It's possible that the board is not logging *off* users.  Sigh.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:53 pm 

:?

aside: I don't know whether the PM "last message" clock is stored separately, Scott...

Tried to reply to a PM but it still wouldn't let me.
"You cannot make another post so soon after your last; please try again in a short while."

Thought this might've been because of the original timestamp on the message, but I tried again from scratch; still without luck...

Later will be OK, I guess.
(12 hours is a short time for anyone to wait for a PM from me, anyhow... :oops:)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:54 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:Although it just occurred to me why the record was matched. It's possible that the board is not logging *off* users. Sigh.

Or else, they're still in the future!
(Just de-lurked to check that... Will do a signout as well).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:54 pm 

FoulFoot wrote: Lots of folks like to remain hidden. :)

I do it because I just don't want everyone to know how much time(its a lot) I'm really on this forum. :oops: :wink: :lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:55 pm 

Dunno about the PMs.  It should be controlled by the same function, but perhaps it isn't.  I'm loath to mess with it, though, because the odds of me breaking it completely rise exponentially with each modification.

Already, we're down to 11 1/2 hours -- so it's not too bad.  :(

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:57 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Or else, they're still in the future!

Signout and lurk/delurk work fine.
Yeah, it seems to be counting those ten in the future, too, based on being active within the last five minutes... or next 12 hours! 8)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:01 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:Dunno about the PMs. It should be controlled by the same function, but perhaps it isn't. I'm loath to mess with it, though, because the odds of me breaking it completely rise exponentially with each modification.

Already, we're down to 11 1/2 hours -- so it's not too bad. :(

s'OK, Scott. I'm always glad of an excuse!

*dodges* ;)
sorry...!

(Oh well, just in case anyone else asks, if they've sent a PM in the twelve hours prior to that reset, I think they'll have to wait twelve hours from that last one...).

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:01 pm 

Well, I'll reset the record once this crisis has passed.  Though I also agree that forum visitorship is climbing!  Just maybe not today.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:04 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
FoulFoot wrote: Lots of folks like to remain hidden. :)

I do it because I just don't want everyone to know how much time(its a lot) I'm really on this forum. :oops: :wink: :lol:

*nods to that*
Have only had enough time to browse new messages the past week or so and even that is decidedly non-trivial.

The "last visit" date is a give away nowadays, however...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:23 pm 

Gad this messed up clock thing is killing me. I can't tell who the hell has posted what right now. Half the things I have already looked at like 5 times are still showing up as new posts. :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Next