Blatant Selling of PDFs on Ebay... what to do?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:38 am 

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 3118629719  This guy has done this a few times.  And he has GOOD ratings!?  Someone needs to step on his balls.  (IMHO)  Any volunteers?

-------------------------------------------------

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:13 am 

Hi Jon, I too have noticed this guy blatantly selling lots of these pdfs. Looks like he is making money off of doing this. I am not sure of the rules concerning pdfs, are you allowed to freely distribute pdfs?  Either case, sick your twin brother on this guy! hehe. Go and contact ebay.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:18 am 

Mkman wrote:Hi Jon, I too have noticed this guy blatantly selling lots of these pdfs. Looks like he is making money off of doing this. I am not sure of the rules concerning pdfs, are you allowed to freely distribute pdfs?
 No, you're not allowed to freely distribute PDFs. They are covered under the same copyright laws as printed material.  EDIT: From looking at this auction, it's also pretty clear that some of the PDFs were obtained surreptitiously. There's a LOT of 3e stuff that I'm certain has not been released on PDF (like the DMG, PHB, etc.).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:51 am 

There's a LOT of 3e stuff that I'm certain has not been released on PDF (like the DMG, PHB, etc.).
 This guy has some balls then to do what he is doing. Someone go get him!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:43 pm 

I brought the auction to the attention of WOTC legal. They are looking into it.  Cheers, Curt CGOULD42

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 03, 2003 4:58 pm 

I haven't been looking too hard on ebay for the pdfs of everything D&D but they are certainly easy to obtain using a lot of the peer-to-peer file sharing programs.  It seems like you can find just about all of 1st, 2nd and D20 D&D stuff, MERP, etc.  Surprisingly enough you can find a lot of rare items such as Jade Hare and the RPGA, R series modules. original Supplements, etc.  I was just wondering how much of an impact you think this has on the collectable price of things.  Consider Jade Hare, a lot of people just want to read it and see why does it sell for so much.  If I can download it for basically nothing,  then why would I bid on it for $600+?  But I guess there are the real collectors who want to hold the original in there hot little hands and will pay that much.  I know I am definitely on a fixed budget and for some of the rare items having a pdf is great.   But, on the note of copyright infringement.  Yes it is totally illegal.  WOTC sells these for personal use only, and then someone on ebay makes several copies and resells them?  I would think WOTC would want to go after as many of these people as they can who try to sell them for profit.  But to go after the peer-to-peer software programs, you will end up with another napster lawsuit that really results in a lot of money spent and the file sharing continues with another program.  Ah the good ole internet, where everything is freeware :)