Hardback covers
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:20 am 

Yesterday I was sorting through my hardbacks, and began asking myself why the 1st edition Deities & Demigods are of such an inferior production than the others, even the ones produced earlier.

I can notice that the paper glued to the cardboard stock is NOT coated and varnished, as in earlier HBs, and probably of inferior weight too.

Anyone has an answer to this?

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:28 pm 

Probably a good question for the "research commitee"...

You know, the guys with multiple copies.

IO, Badmike, Killjoy, and (until recently) Aneoth.

PM them and see if they can answer.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:49 pm 

rosenkav wrote:Yesterday I was sorting through my hardbacks, and began asking myself why the 1st edition Deities & Demigods are of such an inferior production than the others, even the ones produced earlier.

I can notice that the paper glued to the cardboard stock is NOT coated and varnished, as in earlier HBs, and probably of inferior weight too.

Anyone has an answer to this?

Interesting, the later printings of DDG (corrected ones) appear to be coated and varnished, but not the Cthulhu version.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:38 am 

Badmike wrote:Interesting, the later printings of DDG (corrected ones) appear to be coated and varnished, but not the Cthulhu version.

Mike B.

i just checked the three copies that i have and funnily, each of them feels slightly different. admittedly, they are not in pristeen condition and that may also be part of the reason, but just the way the cover feels and even the pages inside feel/seem slightly different to me. the latest one does look the better.

Al