Server Upgrade?
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:20 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:
As rosenkav mentioned, it'd be nice to have an acaeum.com address, for "prestige factor".

This hadn't even occurred to me. When I spoke of e-mail addresses above, it was in the vein of "[email protected]". However, "[email protected]" is very easy to do. I'd limit it to people who actually donated, but it's an easy addition to the package. Done.

Foul

I think this would have considerable "attraction" value.  I'd contribute annually for that added perk.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:03 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:I think this would have considerable "attraction" value. I'd contribute annually for that added perk.

Yes, [email protected] would be nice  :) . Count me in!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:13 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:However, "[email protected]" is very easy to do. I'd limit it to people who actually donated, but it's an easy addition to the package. Done.

Woot! I'm in either way, but give me an aceaum.com address and my eyes glaze over from the coolness factor. Count me in, big-time.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:12 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
FoulFoot wrote:However, "[email protected]" is very easy to do. I'd limit it to people who actually donated, but it's an easy addition to the package. Done.

Woot! I'm in either way, but give me an aceaum.com address and my eyes glaze over from the coolness factor. Count me in, big-time.

Hey guys, I work in marketing and communications...

To spot (and help selling) cool things is second nature to me.

8)

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:46 pm 

For cheap webspace and domain registration, I would suggest the following:

Melbourne Florida Web Design | Website Designers Brevard County Florida | Melbourne FL | Space Coast - JoeUSA.com

-and-

Nomorewebmasters  Domains Names and do it yourself websites

Check them out and see what you think. I got my site (unlimited bandwidth, unlimited hosting, unlimited web space, domain registration) for around $20 for the whole year!

The Wraith - [email protected]

Yin & Yang Productions on eBay:
http://myworld.ebay.com/yinyangpro

WWW ICQ YIM  

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:49 am 

Count me in.

So lets see... once every two or three months, instead of hitting the local Burger King on the way from work, I head home to a nice hot bowl of Ramen soup and there's $30 a year. I think I can manage that.

The acaeum.com address sounds mightly appealing as well.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:53 am 

It shall be coming very shortly.  We're now on the new server, and it's simply a matter of working out the specific details.

Foul

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:55 am 

Foul, just wondering:

Is a subdomain of the acaeum for free? Because fluffmaister.acaeum.com sounds a lot better then fluffmaister.com (and would save me 7.95$ as well)

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:10 am 

With a donation, yes, a subdomain would be free (whateveryoulike.acaeum.com). But you lose some functionality, which may or may not be important to you.

With your own domain (whateveryoulike.com), you have complete control over your web space, e-mail addressing / forwarding, statistics, etc. All of this is accessed via your own control panel. The Acaeum e-mail address I'm giving you is separate from this, and is controlled by me... i.e., you tell me what name and password you want, where you want it forwarded, etc.

With a subdomain, that's something that I set up for you. Think of it as a subdirectory off the main Acaeum directory (which it is), that you have the ability to upload files to. You don't get a control panel, you aren't able to setup your own e-mail addresses, etc.  You still get an Acaeum e-mail address, and it's handled just like the example above.

So, it's just a matter of preference, really. Not having your own domain does save you domain-name-registry fees, which through this site are $10.95/yr (though I've found another site, 1&1 Internet - Home, which will do it for $5.95/yr). Up to you.

Foul

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:34 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:With a donation, yes, a subdomain would be free (whateveryoulike.acaeum.com). But you lose some functionality, which may or may not be important to you.

I was mistaken when I said this.  I've just figured out how to give you your own control panel on a subdomain -- which means, you'll have full control over your website and e-mail addresses, just like a regular domain.  The only difference being, of course, that your domain name will end in "subdomain.acaeum.com", as well as your e-mail addresses ("subdomain.acaeum.com").

This might make the decision to just go with a subdomain easier (and save you the yearly domain registration fees).

Foul

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:37 pm 

Count me in!
It'll probably only be a one time donation, but my bank account owes a lot  :D  :D  :D  to this site (instead of a lot... read at least  $20 anyway!)
Cheers (ST1) Jon

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:38 pm 

jonjhargreaves wrote:Count me in!
It'll probably only be a one time donation, but my bank account owes a lot :D :D :D to this site (instead of a lot... read at least $20 anyway!)
Cheers (ST1) Jon

Twenty bucks is nothing compared to the amount of excellent information this forum provides.  Count me in.....

Mike B.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:17 pm 

See, I knew I'd want all this acaeum web space sooner or later.  My web host has been "down" for over 15 hours now.  Luckily I have all this back up space to use!  (and I've been listing on ebay all morning).

I think it's more reliable than my own service too so, I'll probably be switching my primary host to the acaeum.

Thanks Scott!

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:39 pm 

You're welcome!

Previous