Server Upgrade?
Author

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:53 pm 

The server upgrade, along with the donations-for-web-hosting program, has gone into effect. Details can be read at this post:

viewtopic.php?t=2120

Thanks for everyone's continued support!

Foul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:04 am 

Foul,

I don't know that I need server space or any of the other things you mentioned - simply because I have my own web-site and hosting service.  Perhaps there are others who have a similar situation?  

So, you should also keep the offer open for outright donations (which I am sure you would accept  :D  )  As long as I am as active on the acaeum as I have been over the past two years, I would have no problem donating at least $20.00 - in fact, I would feel better about it!

Thanks for everything!

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:05 am 

Considering that I already have 1.2 gig of space, 30000 file limit and unlimited bandwidth on my current site (of which about a gig is unused) all for under $30 a month, can I just donate w/o benefits? :)

~jeff

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:08 am 

I agree 100%. I don't necessarily have a specific need at this point for my own server space or what not, but I certainly would not have any problem donating the $20.00 a year to help out.  I figure this site has so much good info and people on it, that I am getting a bargain for $20.00 a year, so its the least I could do.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:14 am 

Count me in for $20 and I'm not even sure I would use the space... though it could come in handy at a later date.   :wink:

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:20 am 

Outright donations will of course be accepted.  :)  However, the system needs to be self-sustaining, which is why a one-time-donation drive won't necessarily work.  If I'm giving you web space, then I can send you a "bill" on a yearly basis.  If you choose not to donate after the first year, then I reclaim your web space, and everything's fine.  But I'm guessing that most people who end up using their web space will want to keep it around.

If you donate, you'll have earned at least a year's worth of server space.  If you choose not to use it, that's fine, but it will be there for you to use (or to give to a friend, your sister, etc).

Foul

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:24 am 

GamersRest[FNG] wrote:Considering that I already have 1.2 gig of space, 30000 file limit and unlimited bandwidth on my current site (of which about a gig is unused) all for under $30 a month, can I just donate w/o benefits? :)

Well, since $30 a month is $360/yr, you could get an equitable amount of space on The Acaeum (since you're only using 200mb of space) for just $40/yr.  Spend the remaining $320 on some nice collectible module.  :)

For those interested in more room, that could be worked out, too.

Foul

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:37 am 

FoulFoot wrote:[quote="GamersRest[FNG]"]Considering that I already have 1.2 gig of space, 30000 file limit and unlimited bandwidth on my current site (of which about a gig is unused) all for under $30 a month, can I just donate w/o benefits? :)

Well, since $30 a month is $360/yr, you could get an equitable amount of space on The Acaeum (since you're only using 200mb of space) for just $40/yr. Spend the remaining $320 on some nice collectible module. :)

For those interested in more room, that could be worked out, too.

Foul[/quote]

Sadly I actually pay for my site more or less to keep my email address, heh.  I used to host two domains there digitalalloy.com (which is up in a state of perpetual stagnation) and gamersrest.com(now defunct, I no longer pay for the domain name) which hosts my no longer updated, yet revised version, of my first poorly named site (I believe it was The Ghostlords Cyberpunk Site).

Ehh, its worth the email account I guess, if nothing more.  The host hostway.com is pretty nice, and with the platinum plan I get a lot of nifty toys to play with (even if I have not put them to much use).  Ya never know, I might actually use the site for something creative again.

~jeff

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:11 am 

Count me in for out right donations. Maybe someday I will need the other services, but not at the moment.

Mike

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:04 am 

I'd love not to have space or another mail - I have several of these as one of the things I do is designing websites.

I'm ok for the donation - whatever you call it: I'd love to have a [email protected] address instead.

I think that the Acaeum truly qualifies for excellency in the field of AD&D and D&D knowledge and collecting, so to have a mail address testifying you belong to it would be a "medal of honor" - at least for me.

Just my .02 of course!  :)

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:30 am 

Foul,

Think of it as "sponsorship" and not donations.   Maybe an annual sponsorship drive as well as the web space purchasing?

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:28 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:Foul,

Think of it as "sponsorship" and not donations.  Maybe an annual sponsorship drive as well as the web space purchasing?

I agree.  I'm as cheap as they come and I'm thinking of donating...  :wink:

I personally have no use whatsoever for additional bandwidth/hosting resources, and the concept of per-usage throughput seems foreign and hostile to me.

As rosenkav mentioned, it'd be nice to have an acaeum.com address, for "prestige factor".

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:35 am 

I'd be more than happy to host my miniscule site on your server, and donate $30+ a year. I get about 20 hits a month on my site, and 18 of those are from me. :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:25 am 

If you build it they will come, count me in!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:47 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I'd be more than happy to host my miniscule site on your server, and donate $30+ a year. I get about 20 hits a month on my site, and 18 of those are from me. :D

i visited it twice, so i made up the difference then :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:57 am 

Foul,

Count me in too! You know, I use these boards as much as the next collector (I can't count how many times) for comparison, pricing and research guides.

I think it's only fair; how easily it is forgotten that places like this are free but  take so much work and technology to remain "free"... Foul, think of it as a support fee :wink:

I would LOVE to have the email and webspace as I only work through personal emails at this time and have limited acces to the web through work  :roll:  (after building my new home and running the cat cable, I should improve on this current setback). You've made a generous offer to people like myself, thank you.  :lol:

think that the Acaeum truly qualifies for excellency in the field of AD&D and D&D knowledge and collecting, so to have a mail address testifying you belong to it would be a "medal of honor" - at least for me.

AMEN rosenkav!  :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:42 pm 

I would be more than happy to help the forum expand by way of a membership fee.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:17 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:...and the concept of per-usage throughput seems foreign and hostile to me.

Actually, most sites that offer you "unlimited bandwidth" are anything but.  Try running 20GB of file transfers through your host, and they'll probably suspend your account.  The web host themselves do not have unlimited bandwidth -- they're allocated a certain amount of bandwidth by their provider.  They've just gambled on the fact that most of their clients won't use even a fraction of their bandwidth, so they can afford the occasional client who does.  Not that they'll be happy about you serving game demos from your account.

As rosenkav mentioned, it'd be nice to have an acaeum.com address, for "prestige factor".

This hadn't even occurred to me.  When I spoke of e-mail addresses above, it was in the vein of "[email protected]".  However, "[email protected]" is very easy to do.  I'd limit it to people who actually donated, but it's an easy addition to the package.  Done.

Foul

Next