DD & Hollywood
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:58 am 

Off topic but funny,
do you know how many times hollywood mentionned DD in movies or some other great references to this game ?

I was pretty sure that in the beginning of E.T. the guys played at DD and that a DMG screen was used but after watching it again (only the very beginning), it seems to be not the case, and the french dialogue let me think that there wasnot any DM. Have you an idea or theory about that ? What was this game ?

I recently watch extras from Lords of the Rings and in a bonus there is a funny interview with Peter Jackson made by Ben Stiller and Stiller talks about 'the D&D club' : a sort of integrist faction that will preserve the authenticity of Tolkien's opus vs Hollywood excess (a fourth episode  :wink:   made by Stiller  with a relation between Sam & Frodo etc.  :D )

And my last one: Mazes & monsters, one of the first movies with Tom Hanks (nearly 80') in which players were described as psychopaths.  :twisted:  Not nominated to Cannes anyway. But strange. It was played instead of a good Derrick  :)  in the middle of a day some years ago ! Oups, i don't know if you are familiar to Derrick.

Brainstorming ! Have you any other movies / references ?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:22 am 

Derrick :?:  :?:  :?:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:06 am 

The one movie I remember mentioning D&D was Airheads. The comedy with Brendan Fraser, Adam Sandler, and Steve Buscemi. The part I remember is where a ton of heavy metal groupies are standing in a radio station parking lot behind police barricades where the above mentioned actors are holed up inside with hostages. The FBI find out that Brendan's character was originally just a nerdy high school student. When it gets leaked to the public, all of the groupies are trying to identify with him and tell each other what kind of person they used to be. One of the guys (I think it was Lemmy from Motorhead) stands up and yells "I used to play Dungeons and Dragons".

But my favorite line is when Adam Sandler is practicing being a bad guy and screams "I'm gonna stab you in the head....with my dick". Second best Adam Sandler flick ever. :lol:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:14 am 

I was pretty sure that in the beginning of E.T. the guys played at DD and that a DMG screen was used but after watching it again (only the very beginning), it seems to be not the case, and the french dialogue let me think that there wasnot any DM. Have you an idea or theory about that ? What was this game ?

...fairly sure the game was D&D. One of their characters' is running along, pulls out a portable hole and jumps in. - argument ensures about being able to do it...then pizza arrives.

Hmmmm D&D Hmmmm  Pizza! , just full of memories!!  :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:35 am 

AdderMcOne wrote:

...fairly sure the game was D&D. One of their characters' is running along, pulls out a portable hole and jumps in. - argument ensures about being able to do it...then pizza arrives.

Hmmmm D&D Hmmmm Pizza! , just full of memories!! :D

Yes, that's close to how I remember it as well, though I'm not sure about the portable hole part.  I thought it had something to do with a magical weapon?  But there's definitely a D&D scene at the beginning of the film.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:02 pm 

If we are counting TV, I recall references in Buffy, X-Files and Jesse.

My favorite was Jesse, the show with Christina Applegate. She goes on a blind date and the guy takes her to his D&D game. She reluctantly decides to try it and then gets desperate to leave, but she doesn't know how. She calls her friend who knows about these things, and gets the best advice I ever heard for quickly exiting a D&D group.

"The fastest way to get out of there is to get your character killed, so attack the other player characters."

I thought the game on ET was Traveller rather than D&D.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:34 pm 

Somewhat not related, but I just love the Dead Ale Wives and their take on D&D. I can't seem to find their website anymore, but while looking I found a funny little movie someone did with one of the skits. Here's a link:

Movie Reviews & TV Show Reviews | Screen Junkies

And an 8-bit version here:

404 Error - Page Not Found

I know of only 2 MP3's out there that are from the DAW regarding D&D. The post about the Jesse episode reminded me of it.

Enjoy!

The Wraith - [email protected]

Yin & Yang Productions on eBay:
http://myworld.ebay.com/yinyangpro

WWW ICQ YIM  

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:24 pm 

dave wrote:If we are counting TV, I recall references in Buffy, X-Files and Jesse.

... and The Simpsons, Futurama, and Reno 911, off the top of my head. There was also an old episode of Simon & Simon where the detectives try to track down a missing boy who was obsessed with the "Angels & Demons" game ... it was a pretty obvious MSU steam-tunnels reference.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:47 pm 

KingOfPain wrote: Second best Adam Sandler flick ever. :lol:

Surely that would be second least worst Adam Sandler flick ever. :-)

D&D is mentioned in Nightmare on Elm Street 3 as one of the kids dream power is to be a Wizard

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:22 pm 

Don't forget The X-Files:

"I didn't play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage."

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:39 pm 

The Wraith wrote:I know of only 2 MP3's out there that are from the DAW regarding D&D. The post about the Jesse episode reminded me of it.

There is only one MP3 by the Dead Alewives about DnD, the "sequel" was by some other group imitating the first one (according to thier site when it was still up).

~jeff

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:28 am 

dave wrote:If we are counting TV, I recall references in Buffy, X-Files and Jesse.

My favorite was Jesse, the show with Christina Applegate. She goes on a blind date and the guy takes her to his D&D game. She reluctantly decides to try it and then gets desperate to leave, but she doesn't know how. She calls her friend who knows about these things, and gets the best advice I ever heard for quickly exiting a D&D group.

"The fastest way to get out of there is to get your character killed, so attack the other player characters."

I thought the game on ET was Traveller rather than D&D.

On occasion my group still yells out "All hail the Dungeon Master!" in remembrance of that episode.  I'd love to have a tape of it, but since Jesse was a flop I doubt we'll see either a DVD collection of all the episodes or even reruns at any point, too bad.

Mike B.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:19 pm 

I'd love to have a tape of it, but since Jesse was a flop I doubt we'll see either a DVD collection of all the episodes or even reruns at any point, too bad.

Mike B.

Well, the run of Space: 1999 is out, so there's hope. My FLGS has it for $120 if you're interested.

Lloyd Brown

Just some guy

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:25 am 

Another TV references - That 70's Show

Another movie reference - Taps. As I recall, somewhere near the beginning of the film, I think Tom Cruise's characters asks Tim Hutton's character if their gonna play D&D that night.

They also talk about D&D in one of the "I Love the 70s" on VH1.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:19 pm 

The monster manual showed up more than once in the 1st and only season of Freaks and Geeks and then one of the last episodes, maybe the last, it was about 50% D&D.  Deities and Demigods makes an appearance.

It was a great show.

Pete

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:57 pm 

pjflores wrote:The monster manual showed up more than once in the 1st and only season of Freaks and Geeks and then one of the last episodes, maybe the last, it was about 50% D&D. Deities and Demigods makes an appearance.

It was a great show.

Pete

And this show IS available on DVD, the complete series.  I've toyed with buying it if only for the D&D references.

Mike B.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:48 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote in DD & Hollywood:

... and The Simpsons, Futurama, and Reno 911, off the top of my head. There was also an old episode of Simon & Simon where the detectives try to track down a missing boy who was obsessed with the "Angels & Demons" game ... it was a pretty obvious MSU steam-tunnels reference.

11+ yrs bumpage on this one  :lol:

Here's the intro to that Simon & Simon episode called "Trapdoors" in season 1

Watch Simon & Simon Online - Trapdoors | Hulu

I haven't watched this since it was probably on the air..I don't remember how much more D&D stuff there was in the episode but I think AJ or Rick track the kid down to some underground tunnel or something towards the end of the show and it's somehow tied into his D&D playing

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:01 am 

Big Bang Theory has a several episodes featuring D&D extensively.

I'm a big Buffy fan so I remember the fateful D&D game the night before the final battle against evil.
Giles:  "I used to be a highly respected Watcher.  Now I'm a wounded dwarf with the mystical strength of a doily."

The Gravity Falls cartoon has a fantastic episode about D&D, "Dungeons, Dungeons and More Dungeons!"

The owls are not what they seem...

Next