Hello Everyone
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:34 am 

Hi, I just "found" the forums here, was reading them last night and this morning and decided to sign up and join in.  My name is John Pleveich and I am another of the old timers at 41. I first played D&D way back in 79 (I think) with a few friends, then ran my own campaign through the early to mid 80's. I at one time had a very large collection of D&D stuff but it was lost years ago. I just started getting back into acquiring D&D stuff a couple months ago. I also just started selling off some surplus D&D stuff a couple weeks ago on eBay. I recently married the most beautiful oriental demoness in history who tolerates my hobbies and eagerly watches each of my auction's end to see who bids on what at the last minute. My coolest thing (sorry, I have no orange B3) is probably Gamescience's The First DungeonMaster's Ditty-Bag of Dirty, Low-down, Sneaky Tricks I won on eBay a while back. It is sooooo neat and funny I love it.
Talk to everyone more soon.... JP

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:32 am 

Hello John, welcome in and enjoy.

What does it mean "lost" regarding to your collection?
Did someone (like your mum) throw it away or whatever?

I have "lost" in this way a lot of painted miniatures - an owner of a shop asked me to provide the minis for exhibition, and I did - and then one day I found the shop closed and the previous owner disappeared with everything that was in it... my miniatures included.

I have lost a full 30/40 of my best then...  :evil:

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:19 pm 

Hello, Thank you for the welcome.  By "lost" I mean my collection- which was very large in size since I had been buying every TSR and other D&D thing out there from ~ 1980 to 1990- was in a storage shed located hundreds of miles away from where I live that I fell behind in rent to and its contents were sold to the highest bidder.  I also had a significant collection of other FRP games and accessories and my book collection of mostly fantasy novels that numbered somewhere around 2k books.  Someone scored a major gain in that storage shed. I hope they realized what they ended up with. Oh what I would not give to go back in time to prevent that loss. I can say wih 100% certainty that I had everything TSR and most other major companies made during those years in my collection along with everything I could find produced before those years. But it is all water under the bridge and I am slowly rebuilding my collection of D&D stuff now after spending the last year rebuilding my library collection.

Bye for now and thank you, JP

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:34 pm 

pleveich wrote:By "lost" I mean my collection- which was very large in size since I had been buying every TSR and other D&D thing out there from ~ 1980 to 1990- was in a storage shed located hundreds of miles away from where I live that I fell behind in rent to and its contents were sold to the highest bidder. I also had a significant collection of other FRP games and accessories and my book collection of mostly fantasy novels that numbered somewhere around 2k books.

Oh, rats... you mean you had all the rares?????  8O  8O  8O

Looks like a REAL LOSS to me - my miniatures' loss pales by comparison  :(

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:00 pm 

I had everything and then some. I did not have the orange B3 or all the RPGA modules though I had some. I did have all the old, old TSR stuff, an original Chainmail, the Barsoom TSR module (just saw one go off on eBay for a small fortune) and Divine Right, Empire of the Petal Throne, and a few other TSR odds and ends. I also remember having all the Grenadier miniatures of the Giants and Dragons series still in their boxes plus a few hundred painted figurines as well.  I also had a card game that was very limited in number made by Rowena? or someone like that. I remember that because the art work was so beautiful I had to buy one. Someday I will have everything again, it is just going to take a while. I was a student at the time and broke as most putting themselves through college are. Paying the storage fees for something far away was not as big a priority as say eating and paying rent was at that time in my life.