Storage materials
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:54 am 

I recently picked up a package of storage bags to protect my meager collection (which has seen a bit of damage from moving five times in as many years).  The bags said they were "Magazine" size, however with the exception of my early Shadis copies, none of my other 'zines fit nicely into the bags.  In fact the bags are pretty much useless for anything but the smallest items in my collection (High Passage and BESM books fit good, but copies of Pegasus and early modules by TSR are a hair too big).

For those of you that do bag your books/'zines, what size bags do you mostly use (I understand things like boxed sets and hardcovers require specialty bags).  

To give a little more info, I have a number of JG items and 'zines, a lot of early TSR modules, as well as other gaming rags like Challenge, Pyramid and Dungeon.  Is there a "catch all" size for these kinds of items?  Sorry about posting this in Collectin General, but not sure where else to make this post.

~jeff

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:23 am 

Use THICK style magazine bags - there are two types of these as well. A 8 3/4" x 11" and a 8 7/8" x 11" - Look for the slightly larger one for that little extra bit of space. These will enable you to keep all you magazine, modules, accessories, etc.

You may also want to invest in a package (or more) or of SHEET MUSIC BAGS. These are 9 1/2" x 12 1/4" in size and will fit all of your hardcover or large softcover books. I can even just fit in a Monstrous Manual or a Dark Sun module/box . . . so they are pretty large.

I luck out with my job as all of our 'scripts for the printer are packaged in stacks of 100 and the bags they come in are perfect for Box sets. I think that LIFE magazine bags might serve your purpose, though I have never tried it.

This is what you want (I have bought from him on many occassions)

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... eName=WD1V

For sheet music use:

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:25 am 

Hi Jeff -

I get magazine bags that are sized 10.75" by 8.5". I think they are a bit larger than the 'standard' magazine size, and they seem to be a good fit for most gaming mags (Dragon, Pegasus etc) and a module fits in neatly too.

Regards

Mike

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:07 am 

Hiya,

I dont use bags, but I use special boxes, by Volstor (VOLSTOR).

These seem really good, and means that all my modules are out of the sun as well as dust-free, and they look all neat and tidy (so Mrs Malcolm tells me).

Each box holds between 12 - 20 modules. The Q size fits best.

Cheers,
malcolm

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:13 pm 

I actually got game collector bags (really) from my local game store  for bigger modules and hardcovers and used treasury sized bags for my box sets.  Your local game/comic store may be able to order them, just ask.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:39 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:Use THICK style magazine bags - there are two types of these as well. An 8 3/4" x 11" and a 8 7/8" x 11" - Look for the slightly large for that little extra bit of space. These will enable you to keep all you magazine, modules, accessories, etc.

You may also want to invest in a package (or more) or of SHEET MUSIC BAGS. These are 9 1/2" x 12 1/4" in size and will fit all of your hardcover or large softcover books. I can even just fit in a Monstrous Manual or a Dark Sun module/box . . . so they are pretty large.

I luck out with my job as all of our 'scripts for the printer are packaged in stacks of 100 and the bags they come in are perfect for Box sets. I think that LIFE magazine bags might serve your purpose, though I have never tried it.

This is what you want (I have bought from him on many occassions)

For sheet music use:

Sheet music bags are my favorite. Large enough for the biggest rulesbooks.  Use the thicker, 3 ml bags, they are worth the extra cost.

If you use plastic polyurethene bags, remember to changed them out every few years.  Unless they are of the highest quality, they will begin decaying and collecting dust within a year or so.  I've seen modules in plastic magazine bags that had been in the same bag for decades and looked worse than ones just sitting out on a shelf somewhere.  The bags actually damage the module or magazine if left in them too long. I rebag my collection every few years with brand new bags. Mylars are possibly the best choice for the more expensive items.

Mike B.