Favorite TSR artist
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 11:42 pm 

The art is what drove the imagination for me with TSR's early material. I even like the mid-seventies stuff accomplished by individuals having no business making art work but the imagination of the game is still obvious.  My vote goes to Jeff Dee.  I like all of his early D&D stuff. His style, to me, typifies the energy and imagination of the game. I do think the dudes clothing in the artwork is a little too tight for comfort (gay?). I sure as hell wouldn't wear tight shorts if I was about to do mortal battle with zombies.  I chased him around the internet to see if he had any stuff for sale. It seems as though he is still involved in fantasy game systems and agnostic organizations actively involved against religious fanatics. Unfortunately he says he lost all of his art at TSR in Geneva in those early years. I understand a lot of work was stolen and trashed those days.  Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 6:56 am 

My vote would go to Larry Elmore and Jeff Easley.  The first one for his DragonLance artwork, I think no body has ever drawn a better elf than Laurana. I like all the artwork he did for that saga.  But the artwork that I prefer is the cover for the "red box" aka the basic set. I really love that drawning. Even today I think the dragon is going to roar, but finally the fighter will have his gold (and his xp for that!!)  And I like Jeff Easley for the covers he did for the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons hardcovers for 1st and 2nd edition.  I know there are a lot more artist, but these two are the best amog them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:02 pm 

Larry Elmore all the way! All of the box sets have great artwork. I can't believe Larry recently sold his original paiting of the Master Box Set. If only I had know earlier! Oh well, that's collecting for ya!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:11 pm 

Jeff Dee is great, as is Brom.  Erol Otus is odd, but classic.  Easly is a VERY nice guy, but his paintings, while nice, all start to look alike to me.  Keith Parkinson has also done some really nice work, but i will have to go with Larry Elmore as my favorite.  I've got nearly every one of his prints, and i couldn't be happier.  And just in case you didn't know, he recently released prints of all 3 original DragonLance novels and the first 3 D&D boxed sets.  So, those classic paintings that we all know and love, can be hanging in your house.   rhea..

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 3:36 am 

Jeff Dee is one of my faves, along with Trampier, but my all-time vote goes to Erol Otus.  I really like his odd-ball style, with the strange perspectives and dreamy landscapes.  Even the funky boots have grown on me... or perhaps it's just nostalgia.   :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:01 am 

I think all the original artists are good. Everyone of them is special in their own way and created magnificent artwork. One of the more newer guys I think is good is Fred Fields. Go on the net and search for him. He draws very well and he draws nudes as well.  :roll:  :lol:  8)  8O  :D  :)   He has this book called the Artwork of Fred Field. Pick it up if any of you have a chance. You'll see what I'm talking about, both the fantasy and the nudes.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:43 pm 

To add to the above post --  Fred's website is Index of / -- lots of goodies to look at! And Fred is selling all of his remaining original paintings, in case anyone is interested.  Pat

"Life is short, art is forever, and the credit card bills to buy the art last just slightly longer."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:05 am 

I vote for Trampier, Erol Otus, and Darlene Pekul.    Hi Pat---long time no chat :D  How's things in the art world?  Have you had any luck tracking down DCSIII yet?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:08 am 

Allan --  Nope, no luck with Mr. Sutherland. And actually, believe it or not, I sold off all my vintage TSR art last spring, including my Roslof and Willingham cover paintings . . . . It was hard to do, but I got an unbelievably great deal on an 11 x 14 Frazetta oil and I needed the cash.  How has your collection been going?   Pat

"Life is short, art is forever, and the credit card bills to buy the art last just slightly longer."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 5:30 am 

Thanks for the site. Great paintings, I wish I could devise a way were I can purchase some of those originals and not have to sell all my collection for a few art pieces!! Art is too expensive of a hobby!  :cry:   I guess I'll have to stick to prints of my favorite items for now.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 5:24 pm 

Actually, you might be surprised . . . . I've purchased a pretty sizeable percentage of the pieces in my collection for less than some of the rarer modules are selling for. I guarantee you that you could get a great Fred Fields painting for less than the cost of a mint ST-1 . . . .   Pat

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 8:13 pm 

I think ST1 price is baloney. Stupid price and way overvalued. Were can I find someone who has Fred Fields original artworks? Would you happen to be one who has his stuff??  I wish artwork could be more affordable. $500+ a painting is quite a bit of money for a college student to spend on one item. Heck I can buy 30+ non tsr items for $500  8)  I'll have to get prints I guess.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 8:17 pm 

I have a couple of Fred Fields paintings, but they're not for sale. Far and away the best place to get Fred's art is from Fred. Just email him at [email protected] and ask any questions you may have -- he'll respond.  Pat

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 8:22 pm 

Hi Pat, I may just send Fred a few emails inquiring about some stuff. Here is one problem that may arise. Fred has sold quite a bit of his artwork. How would I even track who bought a specific painting and acquire it? Original art is pretty much unique unlike D&D items which are not unique per say.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 8:25 pm 

Well, you probably wouldn't have a great deal of luck snagging a painting that has already been sold. However, Fred still has a pretty sizeable chunk of the work he did for TSR, any of which he would be happy to sell you. :D   If you really want something that Fred doesn't have any more, let me know -- I may at least know who has it.   Pat