Aneoth's Collection.
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:05 pm 

badmike wrote:.....to me! On Saturday April 9th several hundred RPG goodies changed hands as I purchased 98% of Aneoth's collection after very little discussion (we both were very much in agreement on the details of the transaction). The reason for the announcement is that within the next few weeks I will be selling the bulk of it on Ebay except for a handful of very nice rares that I will keep for myself. Among the items I will put up in the next month include at least one OCE, many first print copies of rulebooks such as the original D&D supplements and original AD&D hardbacks; sets of original Dungeon geomorphs; original monster treasure assortments; R series; RPGA series; a Dragon magazine #1; and some real rarities including a Jade Hare, SW R3, GW Hex sheets, Dark Tower board game and more. There is also a ton of "common" items which include dozens of modules and adventures in very nice shape, as well as many magazines, miniatures, and other tidbits.  
  Aneoth is a class guy with a very good taste in collectibles and an eye towards, well, repetition (considering the numerous copies of such items as the OCE sets, supplements, and hardback rulebooks!). Most of his stuff is in very nice shape also, as well as clearly and expertly annotated (he will be helping me with any questions concerning an item for the buyer who has any inquiries). I'm sure he's going through heavy withdrawl symptoms at this time and he is absolutely FORBIDDEN to bid on any of his old stuff in these auctions!!!! For your own good you know Aneoth!!!!  
  The reason for posting this is to explain why Aneoth (hopefully) won't be bidding on any of these items (or any items on EBay?) in the near future, and to let Acaeum members know I am willing to sell some items NOW to avoid Ebay fees to ACAEUM MEMBERS ONLY. If I'm not familiar with you (you haven't interacted with me on Ebay or this forum), just let me know your Ebay handle so I can peruse your feedback ratings. This doesn't mean I'll cut a deal, just that you won't have to do battle with any other Acaeum members or others in your quest to find somethng you've been on the hunt for.  Remember there are a lot of regular items in here also I'll be a little more specific on later posts to the Classifieds section, but there's no harm in asking if I have a certain something and making me an offer to beat out the competition on something you really want (Hint: Blow me away with an offer, it's yours). Once it hits Ebay, please no private offers, no auctions will be ended early. If you are interested please PM me and I'll get back to you ASAP. Let's put those IRS refund checks to some good use

Is this true? Or is this just some late April Fools Day Joke? :? I would possible be interested in somethings if it is true, but I am not sure. BadMike, could you maybe post a more comprehensive list of these items. My second question is, if Aneoth has sold most his stuff, How Come? I hope all is well................

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:46 pm 

Same thoughts here. I'm interested to see a list of the items of Aneoth's collection you're selling - I think I could make an offer for some large "chunks" of it.

I don't speculate on the reasons of this agreement - and hope all's well for everybody involved.

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:48 pm 

Arghhh!!!

I just bought a car...sob!

Damn my luck.

~jeff

PS I really hope this is a prank, but if not I am also curious why he would sell.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:51 pm 

GamersRest[FNG] wrote:Arghhh!!!

I just bought a car...sob!

Damn my luck.

~jeff

PS I really hope this is a prank, but if not I am also curious why he would sell.

Well, if it's legit, count me in.  Though I guess I would have felt better buying direct from Aneoth had I known such a deal was pending.  I guess Mike will need to earn a bit on the sales as well.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:13 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
badmike wrote:.....to me! On Saturday April 9th several hundred RPG goodies changed hands as I purchased 98% of Aneoth's collection after very little discussion (we both were very much in agreement on the details of the transaction). The reason for the announcement is that within the next few weeks I will be selling the bulk of it on Ebay except for a handful of very nice rares that I will keep for myself. Among the items I will put up in the next month include at least one OCE, many first print copies of rulebooks such as the original D&D supplements and original AD&D hardbacks; sets of original Dungeon geomorphs; original monster treasure assortments; R series; RPGA series; a Dragon magazine #1; and some real rarities including a Jade Hare, SW R3, GW Hex sheets, Dark Tower board game and more. There is also a ton of "common" items which include dozens of modules and adventures in very nice shape, as well as many magazines, miniatures, and other tidbits.
 Aneoth is a class guy with a very good taste in collectibles and an eye towards, well, repetition (considering the numerous copies of such items as the OCE sets, supplements, and hardback rulebooks!). Most of his stuff is in very nice shape also, as well as clearly and expertly annotated (he will be helping me with any questions concerning an item for the buyer who has any inquiries). I'm sure he's going through heavy withdrawl symptoms at this time and he is absolutely FORBIDDEN to bid on any of his old stuff in these auctions!!!! For your own good you know Aneoth!!!!  
 The reason for posting this is to explain why Aneoth (hopefully) won't be bidding on any of these items (or any items on EBay?) in the near future, and to let Acaeum members know I am willing to sell some items NOW to avoid Ebay fees to ACAEUM MEMBERS ONLY. If I'm not familiar with you (you haven't interacted with me on Ebay or this forum), just let me know your Ebay handle so I can peruse your feedback ratings. This doesn't mean I'll cut a deal, just that you won't have to do battle with any other Acaeum members or others in your quest to find somethng you've been on the hunt for. Remember there are a lot of regular items in here also I'll be a little more specific on later posts to the Classifieds section, but there's no harm in asking if I have a certain something and making me an offer to beat out the competition on something you really want (Hint: Blow me away with an offer, it's yours). Once it hits Ebay, please no private offers, no auctions will be ended early. If you are interested please PM me and I'll get back to you ASAP. Let's put those IRS refund checks to some good use

Is this true? Or is this just some late April Fools Day Joke? :? I would possible be interested in somethings if it is true, but I am not sure. BadMike, could you maybe post a more comprehensive list of these items. My second question is, if Aneoth has sold most his stuff, How Come? I hope all is well................

It is definitely not an April Fools joke.  And for all concerned, he and his family are fine.  Since he only lives 15 minutes from me and he, Mike, and I have become friends over the past several months I spent several hours talking with him yesterday and just "hanging out".  We played a game of Dark Tower (the boardgame) and I spent quite some time sighing as I poured over his collection and trying to figure out how I was going to come up with some extra cash to buy some of his nicer items.  Unfortunately I had to come back to reality and decided to purchase some items that I didnt have and leave the rest to everyone else.  Badmike is a great seller and I think that Aneoth has left his collection in capable hands.

Mike, make sure that you put a subtitle in all the auction listings "From the collection of Aneoth" so everyone will know just how nice the quality of the item is.  And put that digital camera to good use, I want to see pics on all the items.  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:39 pm 

rosenkav wrote:Same thoughts here. I'm interested to see a list of the items of Aneoth's collection you're selling - I think I could make an offer for some large "chunks" of it.

I don't speculate on the reasons of this agreement - and hope all's well for everybody involved.

Since this now has it's own thread, I'll respond a bit while respecting the privacy of Aneoth and the exact details of the deal and I would ask other members to also respect such, Aneoth will probably post soon confirming this.  However, I don't know what kind of details he will talk about so I'm going to be mum on anything and everything...I'm sure speculation will be heavy. Suffice to say it is not a health problem (which was my concern when he first emailed me) and the big guy and family are aok (physically; mentally, what goes on in his 1st edition brain I don't have a clue!  :lol: )  There are no nefarious factors involved, and that's all I can say.  I just thank him for giving me "first shot" so to speak and I made good use of the chance!
    One of the factors that made the purchase go so quickly and smoothly was logistics...we live about an hour from each other, so shipping was taken out of the equation (unless you count loading my poor tiny Ford Ranger pickup with like 30 boxes of goodies a form of shipping, the poor thing barely made 10 miles to the gallon driving back) and the fact that I had been over to his place and had seen everything in his collection just several weeks earlier and knew both the condition of the items and extent of his collection.  So it was simply a matter of deciding how much I wanted to spend and how much Aneoth wanted, and we came to an agreeable amount immediately (probably because I overpaid.... :cry: ) Adding to this is that he had several items I had casually coveted for years but was unwilling to enter a bidding war on Ebay for said items; chief among them was a Jade Hare, a SW copy of Outdoor Geomorphs (these are simply beautiful!), and some other odds and ends.  I was also motivated by the fact that I have two younger brothers who for years have shown interest in getting certain D&D items yet don't shop on Ebay and have beat me down over the years wanting me to get these items for them...so I knew I could sell several of the rares up front.  
  Right now I have had the collection less than 24 hours so I am still in the process of cataloging, pulling things for myself and brothers, and researching prices.  Suffice to say when I get a better idea of what I'm dealing with I'll post a more comprehensive list in the Classified section.  After this, items will start to go up on Ebay mixed in with my own Ebay sales. Aneoth was very well organized (much better than myself) and has extensive notes and knowledge on such as different printings and versions of boxed sets, rulebooks, etc.  This means I'm pretty knowledgable of exactly what he has and doesn't have so if you make a specific inquiry I can generally tell you pretty quickly if it is included.
   Aneoth's collection does not generally contain manuscripts, autographed items, handwritten love notes from Ru Emerson, etc.  There are none of the "Biggies" included such as a Woody, orange b3, Lost Tamoachan, limited editions, etc.  Probably the most interesting items are the Jade Hare, R and RPGA series items, early Dragon mags, 1st printings of AD&D hardbacks and supplements and other hard to find items like geomorphs, and of course a smattering of hard to find (I guess some might consider these rare) modules such as GDQ1-7, Greyhawk ruins, Vecna lives, WGR series, etc.  I will take offers on any of these....I'm not going to necessarily cut deals this early in the game as I know what most of the stuff is worth and have all the time in the world to sell it....however, Acaeum members who PM me will get first shot at many items before they hit Ebay, which saves you a lot of time and trouble.  I wont' haggle a lot....if you and I dont' agree what a SW R3 is worth, for example, I'll just put it on Ebay and let the market decide.  If you and I have done business before I generally will be a little more amenable to your offers and will give you preference.
   A lot of the common stuff I will be listing in "lots" or groups and the prices may be low.  For example he has a lot of "common" modules in poor shape that I would not list on Ebay, I will probably throw these into one big lot and it would be great for someone who just wants to game or read these.  Same with the more common hardbacks and the 3rd edition stuff.  He had around a dozen D&DG w/Cthulhu, I probably wont be a hardass price monkey on these as I doubt I could sell that many on Ebay in a year. I will try to describe the items to the best of my ability and if you've bought from me you know I am tough on condition.  
         I would ask if you are interested please don't send me Excel spreadsheets of fifty pages listing every rare you've never been able to purchase and then try to lowball me on prices.  If you really want something, blow me away and it's yours...you and I both know what most of the hard to find items are worth. If you are leary of me, check my feedback on ebay (99.9 percent and closing in on my 5000) and you'll see I no Cougar when it comes to customer satisfaction (badmike3books).  I"ve been buying, selling and trading on the internet since 1994 and I think I'm the only one who started doing so back then that doesn't have their own store! (Dragonstrove, Noble Knight, Titan Games, and Sages Guild all started roughly the same time and moved on the bigger things...).  
   Anyway, just let me say that Anoeth is a gentleman and scholar, and has not promised to stay away from rebuilding his collection in the future, so there may just be a short interlude before he is clogging up the Ebay auctions of OCE's again driving everyone crazy.  He has also promised to continue to contribute to this forum in the meantime.  
  I hope this answers a few of the questions.  Obviously part of the reason I bought this is collection is word of mouth advertising and making a big splash, as of 2004 this is my full time business and I want to be able to do this for awhile. I'm excited about selling this stuff, so much so that I may just make a big pile of all the OCE sets and dive into them like a big heap of raked up leaves!  8O

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:51 pm 

Hey Mike, I was just concerned that something bad may have happened. I have no doubt that the transaction is on the up and up. Just in my dealings with both of you here and EBay, I know that you both are outstanding members of the collecting community, it was just the suddeness of it all is what had me concerned for everyones well being. I can't say that I am totally shocked by the sale, because as Aneoth has even admitted himself, he doesn't particularly like to sell on EBay, but he just hadn't even made any overtones recently about him selling of a majority of his collection, so I was concerned. As far as dollar figures of the sale or anything else for that matter, I have no desire or would even want to know what they were, as it really is none of my business. Thanks though for the update. Now I am off to work on my PM to you. :twisted:

BTW, Good Luck in making this your full time gig, just make sure that kick cougars a$$. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:05 pm 

KingOfPain wrote:It is definitely not an April Fools joke. And for all concerned, he and his family are fine. Since he only lives 15 minutes from me and he, Mike, and I have become friends over the past several months I spent several hours talking with him yesterday and just "hanging out". We played a game of Dark Tower (the boardgame) and I spent quite some time sighing as I poured over his collection and trying to figure out how I was going to come up with some extra cash to buy some of his nicer items. Unfortunately I had to come back to reality and decided to purchase some items that I didnt have and leave the rest to everyone else. Badmike is a great seller and I think that Aneoth has left his collection in capable hands.

Mike, make sure that you put a subtitle in all the auction listings "From the collection of Aneoth" so everyone will know just how nice the quality of the item is. And put that digital camera to good use, I want to see pics on all the items. :wink:

I'm still mad I didn't get there in time for the Dark Tower game; but hey, now I HAVE the Dark Tower game, so I'm going to play whenever I want!

King you're on my list for buying those items before I got there!   :twisted: I heard Aneoth had to fight you off before you ran out of the door with a handful of R1s.  I'm not worried though I'm going to price-whip you when you make it over to my place and see my comic book collection and want to buy something.  I'll light a cigar with a XMen 94 right in front of you just to watch you pass out.... :twisted:

Seriously though, thanks for the kind words.  I would advise other Acaeum members to seek out others in the area on this forum and get together for fun if not profit....I've had a great time in my get togethers with King and Aneoth and hope they continue (my house next time, I think Aneoth wants to visit his homies, he's already going through withdrawal).  

The Aneoth Collection..funny...doubt it would mean anything outside of this forum, though.  

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:09 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Hey Mike, I was just concerned that something bad may have happened. I have no doubt that the transaction is on the up and up. Just in my dealings with both of you here and EBay, I know that you both are outstanding members of the collecting community, it was just the suddeness of it all is what had me concerned for everyones well being. I can't say that I am totally shocked by the sale, because as Aneoth has even admitted himself, he doesn't particularly like to sell on EBay, but he just hadn't even made any overtones recently about him selling of a majority of his collection, so I was concerned. As far as dollar figures of the sale or anything else for that matter, I have no desire or would even want to know what they were, as it really is none of my business. Thanks though for the update. Now I am off to work on my PM to you. :twisted:

BTW, Good Luck in making this your full time gig, just make sure that kick cougars a$$. :wink:

Thanks for the kind words.  My dream would be to have Cougies hide laying in my front entryhall for guests to wipe their shoes on.  Meow. :twisted:

To reiterate everything is fine with Aneoth and his family. However, he is undoubtedly going through withdrawl pains at this moment.  :cry:

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:42 pm 

Badmike wrote: ...he is undoubtedly going through withdrawal pains at this moment. :cry:
Mike B.

Yes, indeed.... For those who are concerned, thank you, my family and I are fine.

Withdrawals have indeed already set in. And yes, I did sell most of everything that I had (RPGish) to Mike. I still have a few choice items (Shrink Wrapped Orange B-3, and a 2nd Woodie, and some common sentimental things) I also have well over 150,000 football cards and a few hundred comics.... If I knew how and to whom, I would sell almost all of that too (the football cards, Comics and memorabilia).

For very personal reasons I decided it was time to sell most of my hard won, (Somewhat expensive) and well loved D&D Collection. I felt that Mike was a very good person to contact. We discussed several possibilities as to how my collection would be sold. But in the end, it was decided that I would sell the entire lot to him. I have known for some time that this was coming, and have been putting it off, although I had discussed it with some few folks.

I knew Mike wanted most of it and that he would be able to purchase it in one go. By selling to Mike (Who is a real top notch guy BTW) I will be able to concentrate on other more important things. Rather than spend the next several months selling on E-Bay. You all know I am no good at that anyway…  :roll:  :wink:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:59 pm 

Badmike wrote:

Thanks for the kind words. My dream would be to have Cougies hide laying in my front entryhall for guests to wipe their shoes on. Meow. :twisted:

To reiterate everything is fine with Aneoth and his family. However, he is undoubtedly going through withdrawl pains at this moment. :cry:

Mike B.[/quote]

I take it "withdrawl" pains are part of being a Southerner?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:14 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:
Badmike wrote:

Thanks for the kind words. My dream would be to have Cougies hide laying in my front entryhall for guests to wipe their shoes on. Meow. :twisted:

To reiterate everything is fine with Aneoth and his family. However, he is undoubtedly going through withdrawl pains at this moment. :cry:

Mike B.

I take it "withdrawl" pains are part of being a Southerner?[/quote]

You know us Texans, a drawl is just part of the way we "Tawk" :)

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:16 am 

Seams like a lot of big collectors are selling off lately, Aneoth, Burntwire brothers, Deadlord

Whats going on here?

I do not thinks I will every sell, been doing it for so long it has become a part of me.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:41 am 

Aneoth wrote:
Badmike wrote: ...he is undoubtedly going through withdrawal pains at this moment. :cry:
Mike B.

Yes, indeed.... For those who are concerned, thank you, my family and I are fine.

Glad to hear you're fine, Aneoth.  I can understand it must be a HUGE decision to sell the bulk of your hard-won collection.  Well, maybe you can find solace in the fact that much of it will fall into appreciative hands!  And you're certainly giving Mike's full-time business a great boost.

Best wishes,
Stephen

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:33 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:...Glad to hear you're fine, Aneoth. I can understand it must be a HUGE decision to sell the bulk of your hard-won collection. Well, maybe you can find solace in the fact that much of it will fall into appreciative hands! And you're certainly giving Mike's full-time business a great boost.
Best wishes, Stephen

Overall, considering what is going on at home right now, the decision was not as tuff as it would seem at first. In life there are differing levels of priorities for us all, and family is (of course) first among them all.

I am glad that my fellow Acaeum members will have first dibs on the better points in the collection. Mike and I both agreed that it seemed only right that if be so. If Mike had not purchased the collection, I would have offered it to Acaeum Members first as well.

I did not have the biggest collection around here (by far) but still; I think it will take a little bit of time to sell my collection. And the collection is mostly of pleasingly high quality, especially the rare, and somewhat rare items. Although I did have some few roughly treated and well-used common modules and core rules books. Sometimes, when I purchased lots, some low quality items would be included in the lot. I am sure that others here who have purchased large lots in the past can attest to the same experiences.

Mikes collection (by his own accounts so far; see below) makes the quantity he obtained from me seem diminutive. Mike is also on E-Bay as a full time seller now, and has been for at least a full year, which is why it made a lot of sense (at least to me anyway) to speak with him about selling my collection.

He tells us (the North Texas Acaeum members) that he already had gobs of stuff, saying that there are few empty spots in his house to sit, or even to lay anything down, without sitting or stacking onto something that was already there. And he wanted to list my collection immediately, if for no other reason than to be able to invite folks over and allow them to have a place to sit.

We other Acaeum members in North Texas, have yet to see Mike's collection. We shall soon find out though, since the next North Texas Acaeum Members meeting will most likely be at his place. We will be able to confirm his vast collection..... :wink:

You can be sure that we (KingOfPain and I) will report back to this forum after doing so.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:42 pm 

Aneoth wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:...Glad to hear you're fine, Aneoth. I can understand it must be a HUGE decision to sell the bulk of your hard-won collection. Well, maybe you can find solace in the fact that much of it will fall into appreciative hands! And you're certainly giving Mike's full-time business a great boost.
Best wishes, Stephen

Overall, considering what is going on at home right now, the decision was not as tuff as it would seem at first. In life there are differing levels of priorities for us all, and family is (of course) first among them all.

No way colletion 1st. :twisted: [j/k]
On a more serious note, I just wanted to echo Stephen's sentiments, being that I am just glad all is okay in Aneothland. :wink: Anyway, I will gladly supplement BadMike's income by purchasing at least a small portion of the goodies. :P
=========================================
BTW, this has made me start to think seriously about the day that I offload my collection. Albeit, this probably will not be for a long time, but it still has made me think about it quite a bit.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:36 pm 

Aneoth wrote:And the collection is mostly of pleasingly high quality, especially the rare, and somewhat rare items.

After our recent transaction, I've no doubt your stuff is of top quality!   :D

Thanks again!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:19 pm 

Badmike wrote:Anyway, just let me say that Anoeth is a gentleman and scholar, and has not promised to stay away from rebuilding his collection in the future, so there may just be a short interlude before he is clogging up the Ebay auctions of OCE's again driving everyone crazy.

Heh, heh... That's what I was worried about; given he's finally taken the plunge with regards sniping, too... ;)
Happy cataloging!

=
And good luck fighting those "withdrawl" symptoms, aneoth. :P Sounds like your display cabinet is still a sight to behold, tho'... :)

David.

Next