Scotland???
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:08 am 

Just curious if any Acaeum member lives in Scotland?  DCSIII is my brother and I recently found that our great grandparents were from Findochty, Rathven, Banff[shire?].   :D
Looks to be a small village -- where William Sutherland was a fisherman in 1881.

I know -- a topic sooooo far from TSR it hurts!!   8O   Dave groans when I talk about genealogy -- and I groan when he talks about TSR.

You guy [& gals] keep me laughing!  Thanks for the good humor.

:D  :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:39 am 

There are a few or us.

Scotland's a big barren place full of little inbred communities, and the odd city dotted about. Very shallow gene pools when you leave the towns. When you go north, they all have red hair and carry knives in their socks. There are lots of sheep too.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:49 am 

Inbread? Are you saying you just loaf around all day?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:10 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Inbread? Are you saying you just loaf around all day?

Well, some of us work hard. We have to so that the majority can sponge off of Welfare.

In our cities we have big drug problems, and in the outlying towns we have a lot of young single moms. We are the best in Europe at getting children pregnant and hooked on drugs, and we are the world leaders in lung and heart desease. Inbred was a reference to the parentage of our young. Our excellent record on health is down to the sheer volume of fat and cigarettes we consume.

I know that Scots do not all fit this demographic, but the majority of those I see do. In the US I think you'd call them 'white trash' and 'rednecks'. Small brains with knuckles that drag on the ground.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:59 am 

Is there any food a scotsman wouldnt deep-fry?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:00 am 

nope - even Mars bars get the batter treatment

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:04 am 

See . . . now you're just ruining my romantic view of Scotland and making it all seem like Trainspotting.   :D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:09 am 

nn wrote:Is there any food a scotsman wouldnt deep-fry?

Some white meats... like cat. Leather goods with steel toe caps. Blood relatives.... That pretty much rounds it up.

beyondthebreach wrote:See . . . now you're just ruining my romantic view of Scotland and making it all seem like Trainspotting.  :D

That's actually a pretty accurated rendition if city life in Edinburgh.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:12 am 

I absolutely LOVE Scotland.

I remember a trip there - two cars, four people, two tents - always rain  :)

We played (and I mastered) all the evenings long, and in the day we went sightseeing castles and brochs. One time, as we are abundantly out away of camping sites, we decided to plant our tents INSIDE the circular walls of a faraway broch conserved by the National Trust of Scotland but without surveillance - and it has been a marvellous experience. The sky night was almost crystal clear and full of stars, and we went on playing AD&D in this scenario...

These were the days when the original MERP has been released, and we couldn't find a copy of it in all UK - and we finally dug out one in a forsaken hobby shop in Thurso...

People, it's been nice! :)

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:26 am 

HEY IAN!! i think i stumbled onto the perfect plan for getting to that hobby shop...

i suggested to amanda last night that it would be a good idea if we got in the car and did a small tour of scotland....do a lil bit of sight-seeing and stuff and we could go and see glasgow and edinburgh.... :D

i didnt mention "shops" tho...i am amazing at orienteering so what i will do, is get the details from you and while we are scooting around glasgow, we will just "happen" across this "oh look a hobby shop, lets go have a look" will no doubt get a "laser-beam, gorgon-type-look" from her, but at that point, who cares :D

what a plan! :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:36 am 

killjoy32 wrote:HEY IAN!! i think i stumbled onto the perfect plan for getting to that hobby shop...

i suggested to amanda last night that it would be a good idea if we got in the car and did a small tour of scotland....do a lil bit of sight-seeing and stuff and we could go and see glasgow and edinburgh.... :D

i didnt mention "shops" tho...i am amazing at orienteering so what i will do, is get the details from you and while we are scooting around glasgow, we will just "happen" across this "oh look a hobby shop, lets go have a look" will no doubt get a "laser-beam, gorgon-type-look" from her, but at that point, who cares :D

what a plan! :)

There's also a hobby shop in Aberdeen called Asylum Books or something. They used to have a lot of 2nd hand RPG stuff. I haven't been up there in about 5 years, but I know they are still up and running, 'cos I still get their newsletter.

There used to be a small RPG shop in Edinburgh called Black Bear Games, or something like that. I have no idea if they are still up and running. There doesn't seem to be as big a market as there used to be. Claymore still runs every year though, usually in July I think. You could always come up for that.

I don't know if Claymore ever had anything to do with Claymore Games back in the early '80s. But Claymore Games is no more. :( I have a copy of Gabriel's Gate here somewhere though. I'll see if I can get a firm date for Claymore this year and I'll let you know.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:56 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I don't know if Claymore ever had anything to do with Claymore Games back in the early '80s. But Claymore Games is no more. :( I have a copy of Gabriel's Gate here somewhere though. I'll see if I can get a firm date for Claymore this year and I'll let you know.

cool chummer, look forward to hearing ....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:29 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:See . . . now you're just ruining my romantic view of Scotland and making it all seem like Trainspotting.  :D

Trainspotting. 8O I loved that movie. :D

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:12 am 

bclarkie wrote:
beyondthebreach wrote:See . . . now you're just ruining my romantic view of Scotland and making it all seem like Trainspotting. :D

Trainspotting. 8O I loved that movie. :D

i liked trainspotting. was my fave "drug" movie, just slightly ahead of new jack city....that was until i saw La4er cake (layer cake) last year....once i saw that, it got well and truly knocked off its perch - a fantastic film if i ever saw one!
:D

(my other passion is films....prb more than D&D tbh)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:20 am 

killjoy32 wrote:i liked trainspotting. was my fave "drug" movie, just slightly ahead of new jack city....that was until i saw La4er cake (layer cake) last year....once i saw that, it got well and truly knocked off its perch - a fantastic film if i ever saw one!
:D

(my other passion is films....prb more than D&D tbh)

Yea, I am huge into movies also. My current DVD collection alone numbers around 380, and my VHS collection(that contains about half dups of my DVD collection) numbers around 200. Worst part about it is my D&D collection dwarfs my movie collection. 8O

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:22 am 

BigSister wrote:I know -- a topic sooooo far from TSR it hurts!!  8O  Dave groans when I talk about genealogy -- and I groan when he talks about TSR.

Genealogy --> heraldry --> knights and stuff --> D&D.  Didn't hurt that much.  :wink:   Particularly if you're running a Birthright campaign...

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:22 am 

i only keep films that i know that i will watch time & time again etc

i sometimes go the cinema 3-4 times a week! not so much nowadays as i havent had the time....

:)

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:24 am 

My best memories of Scotland (visited in 1994):

Watching a couple of VERY pale guys dance on a table wearing nothing but a studded leather device called "the P-harness" during an OUTRAGEOUS festival in Edinburgh.  I'm sure the festival is quite famous, but can't recall the name just now.  They were booed off the stage, as were most of the acts.  Plenty of cursing and shouting from the audience.  Many acts/shows/venues driving on over several days.  This "show" was in some sort of cavernous, anonymous-looking concrete building with a huge cafeteria on the ground floor that served pretty much nothing but "haggis", or however you spell it, which I actually grew quite fond of after a while.

After the festival, a few of us drove across northern Scotland and sailed out to a small island in the Outer Hebrides.  I had come down with a terrible flu/cold by that time.  At the island, we stayed in a drafty old castle.  Most of the time, I just laid shivering in a short iron bed, passing in and out of consciousness.  A kind elderly woman brought me tea and very hard biscuits.  Must have been September.  Cold as hell.

Ah, what a lovely land.  How are the Scottish girls in bed, by the way?   :D

Next