Shelf Space
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:14 pm 

I was in the cupboard today putting away some new purchases when a though occured to me. How much shelf space would a compete D&D collection (if there is such a thing) take up? I have no kind of collection at all and my wife already wants to kill me and cremate me using my collection as fuel so what kind of space do the real collections need.
Rather than muddy the water with all of the extras, odds and ends, JG, non TSR etc etc - just tell me how many feet of shelf space I would need for all of the standard stuff released by TSR and available to the public at large - including periodicles.
There you go - a chance for all you real collectors to get the tape measures out!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:22 pm 

carl3369 wrote:There you go - a chance for all you real collectors to get the tape measures out!

...for a different reason!

:P

Just a joke, of course.

The Wraith - [email protected]

Yin & Yang Productions on eBay:
http://myworld.ebay.com/yinyangpro

WWW ICQ YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:22 pm 

Ask the Overlord....Seriously.

He could probably give us an accurate estimate (oxymoron) of how many linear feet you would need, probably face out as well as spine out.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:43 pm 

8O Did you know if you put 1 of every TSR item end to end it would circum navigate the world.

JK :wink:  :D , I really don't know how many feet of space a complete D&D + periodical collection would take up. I do know at the new hall the plans call for just around 100 feet of shelving space, but 35% (guess :roll: ) plus is non-TSR.

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:44 pm 

carl3369 wrote:I was in the cupboard today putting away some new purchases when a though occured to me. How much shelf space would a compete D&D collection (if there is such a thing) take up? I have no kind of collection at all and my wife already wants to kill me and cremate me using my collection as fuel so what kind of space do the real collections need.
Rather than muddy the water with all of the extras, odds and ends, JG, non TSR etc etc - just tell me how many feet of shelf space I would need for all of the standard stuff released by TSR and available to the public at large - including periodicles.
There you go - a chance for all you real collectors to get the tape measures out!

I have a virtually complete set (missing 15-20 items) and it takes up about 6 bookshelfs 2.5 feet wide with 7 shelves in each.  some of the big boxset take up a large amount of room themselves.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:35 am 

d'ya know...you sometimes wonder. i had the chance the other day to pick up some great industrial shelving for my stuff. would be just perfect, can easily stand the weight and useful for what i need it for....but ohhhh nooooo, girlfriend didnt like the colour, they looked too ugly and didnt match anything else in the room..... fecks sake, i tell you, i wonder sometimes :)

maybe i should just get them and plead ignorance like "oh damn they sent the wrong ones...oh well lets just use them now"....

:D

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:05 am 

If you include novels and magazines, for D&D and AD&D (not including 3.x D&D) we're talking about a shelf 7 1/2 '' high and 11 1/2 '' wide. Maybe a little more. I am now at 75% and we're planning on moving soon  8O .

A lot of the other collectors have much larger collections. Some even rent extra storage space for keeping their collection. That must be something, moving with 50 huge boxes of game books.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:24 am 

My wife finally got on board with the whole shelf space issue.  She was sick of seeing boxes of stuff, stacks of books on top of the bookshelf & on the floor and the desk littered with assorted items.

She told me I could arrange the office any way I wanted as long as it was neat.

To help me out she gave me her two bookshelves.   :)  . . . and then bought two NEW ones for herself.  :(

She then gave me all her stackable storage drawers for my packing items and protective bags.  :D   . . .  then bought herself a cabinet to take place of the drawers.  8O

She also got rid of all her cardboard storage boxes that she kept under the bed and told me to cut them up for protective backing when I ship items.   :D   . . .  Then she bought herself all new plastic storage containers . . .and had me put up new shelving in the closet to hold it all.  :x

But, at least she seems to have found her own peace and resigned herself to a certain amount of acceptance.   8)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:11 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:But, at least she seems to have found her own peace and resigned herself to a certain amount of acceptance.  8)

heh that was very funny :) thats the thing i am currently working on.... she has to have an element of acceptance, and in place she can have something too! not working yet tho :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:28 pm 

I have 7 bookshelves and 14 Sterilite bins, plus a Dragon mag set in cardboard boxes. However, I collect non-TSR stuff too. Takes up a LOT of room.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:58 pm 

Ask badmike about his stash sometime.

Hopefully the next North Texas meeting will be at his place.
I want to see it all for myself and be amazed...... 8O

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:05 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:I have 7 bookshelves and 14 Sterilite bins, plus a Dragon mag set in cardboard boxes. However, I collect non-TSR stuff too. Takes up a LOT of room.

You finally got that wallspace back then, Frank? ;)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:33 pm 

Ah, yes, I dismantled the Prismatic Wall. I need the room in the den for my pinball machine, so the shelves are going in the dining room, and only one will have rpg stuff. The rest is paperbacks.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:36 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:d'ya know...you sometimes wonder. i had the chance the other day to pick up some great industrial shelving for my stuff. would be just perfect, can easily stand the weight and useful for what i need it for....but ohhhh nooooo, girlfriend didnt like the colour, they looked too ugly and didnt match anything else in the room..... fecks sake, i tell you, i wonder sometimes :)

maybe i should just get them and plead ignorance like "oh damn they sent the wrong ones...oh well lets just use them now"....

:D

Kill, you need to do what I do. Buy what you want, endure the bitching, and eventually she will go on to bitch about the next thing. Therefore you win in the end.
Suffering is a man's lot in life. A married one, anyways.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:17 pm 

Ralf Toth wrote:If you include novels and magazines, for D&D and AD&D (not including 3.x D&D) we're talking about a shelf 7 1/2 '' high and 11 1/2 '' wide. Maybe a little more. I am now at 75% and we're planning on moving soon 8O .

A lot of the other collectors have much larger collections. Some even rent extra storage space for keeping their collection. That must be something, moving with 50 huge boxes of game books.

I feel very sorry for people with biger collections than myself who end up moving. The last time I moved, my collection (1/3 White Wolf, 1/4 TSR, 1/4 Palladium and the rest misc RPG's) took up 8 large boxes. Each one had to weigh over 50lbs each. Doesn't help that everyone I had tagged to help me mvoe had back problems, so I had to load and unload all of them myself.

It's been about 1 year and 3 months since then. My collection has grown to at least twice the size. I don't look forward to moving. EVER! :) It's a good thing my fiance owns the house we're living in.  :P  We're going to need more room soon, though. We planning on turning the garage into a family room with HUGE bookshelves! I can't wait until it actually happens.

Ok... I'm done for now.  :lol:

The Wraith - [email protected]

Yin & Yang Productions on eBay:
http://myworld.ebay.com/yinyangpro

WWW ICQ YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:12 pm 

This includes a fair amount of stuff other than D&D, but I guess you get the idea.   :D

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/temp/collection.htm

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:23 pm 

blackdougal wrote:This includes a fair amount of stuff other than D&D, but I guess you get the idea.  :D

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/temp/collection.htm

Holy Mackerel !  8O

U live in a game store !

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:29 pm 

That is a thing of true beauty.
Bravo sir! Bravo!