Fiend Folio Question
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:45 pm 

Did they do the FF in a better quality paper?

I finally (after all these years) picked up a copy at my local half price books and the paper is very, very white.  No aging at all.  I'll figure out how to determine the printing, and it was pre-owned (the owner's name is covered over in white-out) but the paper is so crisp, unlike other D&D/AD&D books I've picked up.

Thanks.

Regards,

Stephen

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:19 pm 

Ethesis wrote:Did they do the FF in a better quality paper?

I finally (after all these years) picked up a copy at my local half price books and the paper is very, very white. No aging at all. I'll figure out how to determine the printing, and it was pre-owned (the owner's name is covered over in white-out) but the paper is so crisp, unlike other D&D/AD&D books I've picked up.

Thanks.

I think you just got lucky man, congrats!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:44 am 

Ethesis wrote:Did they do the FF in a better quality paper?

I finally (after all these years) picked up a copy at my local half price books and the paper is very, very white. No aging at all. I'll figure out how to determine the printing, and it was pre-owned (the owner's name is covered over in white-out) but the paper is so crisp, unlike other D&D/AD&D books I've picked up.

Thanks.

Fiend Folio is my favorite monster manual - i LOVE unleashing monsters out of that one on the characters  :twisted:  i especially like the undead in there....son of kyuss and coffer corpses are great, and of course (not undead) Githyanki are awesome too!

i have three of these in varying conditions, but i have yet to see one in less than VG condition....they always seem to be in much better condition than all the other monster manuals i see....

Well done picking up one in that condition Stephen!! :)

Alan

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:13 pm 

Thanks for the heads up.  I like bright white paper ... just was really surprised to see in on an FF.  Now I just need to figure out how to tell which printing it was.

;)

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:39 pm 

Ethesis wrote:i have three of these in varying conditions, but i have yet to see one in less than VG condition....they always seem to be in much better condition than all the other monster manuals i see....

FF's that I've seen have also been in VG or better condition. I think it's because the more "popular" monsters are in the MM series. All the chromatic and metalic dragons, all the notable demons and devils. FF has a great selection of monsters, but just didn't have the classics that most DM's were looking for.

FF was the first AD&D hardback book that I owned. It was a gift from my parents for Xmas. I was the only one in my group who had one.  :D

The Wraith - [email protected]

Yin & Yang Productions on eBay:
http://myworld.ebay.com/yinyangpro

WWW ICQ YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:40 pm 

The Wraith wrote:FF was the first AD&D hardback book that I owned. It was a gift from my parents for Xmas. I was the only one in my group who had one. :D

Also the first hard cover I bought (and first book if I recall correctly), my second purchase was the red box basic set.

~jeff

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:47 am 

It looks like that to print the FF, TSR have changed printer. It is more recent - the copyright is 1981, and the internal details (paper, backing, etc) are constantly better than the old line of hardbacks.

I speculate that after the lousy 1980 Deities and Demigods, whose quality is worse than the classics, someone in Lake Geneva upped the specs on hardbacks.

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM