SPAM on the Acaeum?!?!?!
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Author

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:07 pm 
 

Check out our newest members ad on the Acaeums Classified Forum Page.
This somehow seems very wrong to me.....

http://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1960


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:13 pm 
 

Aneoth wrote:Check out our newest members add on the Acaeums Classified Forum Page.

This somehow seems very wrong to me.....

http://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1960

If someone could PM or shoot Scott an email. he'll take care of it


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:16 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote:If some could PM or shoot Scott an email. he'll take care of it

Sent PM earlier.

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 151
Joined: Nov 24, 2004
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2010

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:30 pm 
 

Last person that did that to me, I  looped their e-mail into about 8-10 different porn-by-email newsletters.

:twisted:


The Wraith - [email protected]

Yin & Yang Productions on eBay:
http://myworld.ebay.com/yinyangpro


 WWW ICQ YIM  


Active Collector

Posts: 92
Joined: Feb 15, 2005
Last Visit: Sep 07, 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:28 pm 
 

The Wraith wrote:Last person that did that to me, I looped their e-mail into about 8-10 different porn-by-email newsletters.

:twisted:



By the way, is there any way of getting OFF those lists?  I think the dastardly porn sub I had a while back sold my email to a few of those distros ... surprise surprise ... and I can't seem to block all the rotation lists they mail from.  Tried various spam filters via SquirrelMail but I'm still being bombarded daily by 10+ misspelled (to bypass word filters) porn dealies.  It's a good thing the wife doesn't check my email, shudder.

 WWW ICQ  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 151
Joined: Nov 24, 2004
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2010

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:43 pm 
 

beermotor wrote:
The Wraith wrote:Last person that did that to me, I looped their e-mail into about 8-10 different porn-by-email newsletters.

:twisted:



By the way, is there any way of getting OFF those lists? I think the dastardly porn sub I had a while back sold my email to a few of those distros ... surprise surprise ... and I can't seem to block all the rotation lists they mail from. Tried various spam filters via SquirrelMail but I'm still being bombarded daily by 10+ misspelled (to bypass word filters) porn dealies. It's a good thing the wife doesn't check my email, shudder.


Each individual email should have removal instructions at the bottom. Earthlink has a great spamblocker where you can block entire domains from sending you e-mail. But, you have to use their services in order to get it. It's pretty nice and pays for itself IMHO.


The Wraith - [email protected]

Yin & Yang Productions on eBay:
http://myworld.ebay.com/yinyangpro


 WWW ICQ YIM  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 851
Joined: Jun 12, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 02, 2021

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:20 pm 
 

Wraith, BAD ADVICE.

If he clicks on those remove links, all he is telling the spammers is that his email is valid.  He will get MORE SPAM, not less.

beermotor, the thing to do in order to curb this kind of thing is to have two email addresses.  One email address is specifically for those sites where you have to enter an email address.  This is your public email.  The other email addy will be a private one for real correspondance.



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:45 pm 
 

Traveller wrote:Wraith, BAD ADVICE.

If he clicks on those remove links, all he is telling the spammers is that his email is valid. He will get MORE SPAM, not less.

beermotor, the thing to do in order to curb this kind of thing is to have two email addresses. One email address is specifically for those sites where you have to enter an email address. This is your public email. The other email addy will be a private one for real correspondance.


Yes, Exactly.........


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 151
Joined: Nov 24, 2004
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2010

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:53 pm 
 

Shrug. It's worked for me in the past, so I don't understand why it wouldn't work again. Oh well.


The Wraith - [email protected]

Yin & Yang Productions on eBay:
http://myworld.ebay.com/yinyangpro


 WWW ICQ YIM  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:01 pm 
 

The Wraith wrote:Shrug. It's worked for me in the past, so I don't understand why it wouldn't work again. Oh well.

I also thought it worked for me once. And it did for about two weeks, and then suddenly that E-Mail box was bombarded with hundreds of spam mails each day. That went on for a couple of months, until I was finally able to buy some software to stop it, or at least most of it.

That E-Mail address now gets about 10-15 spam mails per day.... and I never answer any of them and I never click on the little note inside them telling me to click to here to be removed.... In fact, I never even open them, I just delete, delete, delete, delete..... etc.....


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 851
Joined: Jun 12, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 02, 2021

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:59 pm 
 

I have three email addresses that are most frequently used.  There are others, but they are backups.

One of them is a private email.  Unfortunately, that email is also linked to ebay, so I get my notifications for watched items there.  However, I never reply to emails from ebay, or ebay members, so I've been pretty successful in not having spam there.  It also doesn't hurt that I use Microsoft Outlook, which has one hell of a spam filter.

The second email is my Yahoo email.  This is a public email addy, and the one I most frequently give out.  I use this addy to reply to ebay stuff.  I do get a fair amount of spam, but Yahoo's spam filters are very good.  This email addy is generally used for those places, like TaxACT, where it's vital that I get the information, but don't want to give out the private email addy.

The third email is my spam trap.  My memberships to message boards, my memberships to porn sites, and other wonky stuff go here.  I don't even bother to look at it all.  It just gets dumped.  But I have to keep on top of it or in the space of a week I'll have some 500 spam emails to delete, which is annoying.



  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1