unknown D&D product
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:57 am 

here is a picture of "Dawn of the Emperrors", but this version looks just like the 5 rules sets of D&D boxed type...

(Edit:) it is not said to be in purple.

why do I find no records of it anywhere? although I have this picture from a catalog from 1989.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:14 am 

Wait . . . do you actually have it or only the picture from the catalog?  If it is from the catalog alone, then it was probably just a "preliminary" picture.  There are several examples of advance product picutures in TSR catalogs being different from the actual item.

If you actually do have it, then what is the product number?

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:15 am 

DarkHost wrote:here is a picture of "Dawn of the Emperrors", but this version looks just like the 5 rules sets of D&D, but said to be in purple...
[ Image ]

why do I find no records of it anywhere? although I have this picture from a catalog from 1989.

It definitely exists, I used to own a copy. I don't recall many details other than that it was a later D&D boxed set regarding Mystara, published around the same time as the GAZ1-14 series. Someone please fill in the blanks.

(edit)

Just checked and it is briefly listed on here:

http://www.acaeum.com/DDIndexes/MiscPages/GAZ.html

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:18 am 

DarkHost wrote:here is a picture of "Dawn of the Emperrors", but this version looks just like the 5 rules sets of D&D, but said to be in purple...
[ Image ]

It's just a catalog picture, which means the eventual artwork on the finished product was quite different.  This is quite a common occurance, if you look at any of the old TSR hobbies catalogs from that period where the artwork is considerably different in the catalog than the finished product.

Mike B.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:22 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:It definitely exists, I used to own a copy.

did you have the boxed set in the picture?

deimos3428 wrote:Just checked and it is briefly listed on here:

http://www.acaeum.com/DDIndexes/MiscPages/GAZ.html

in this page it is written:
The early working title for this set was "Twilight of the Empires"
while on the boxed set on the picture it is written "Dawn of the Emperors" (the picture that I have is a bit sharper than the one here).
On this one it is written "Dungeons & Dragons" while in the description of the product in the site it is written:
Dawn of the Emperors is a boxed campaign set, produced just before the release of 2nd Edition AD&D in 1989 (it bears a "compatible with the AD&D and 2nd Edition AD&D rules" starburst).

and lets say they changed it right away to known style. shouldn't there be somekind of a restricted or a limited printing edition. There must be *at least* one copy...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:49 pm 

DarkHost wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:It definitely exists, I used to own a copy.

did you have the boxed set in the picture?

deimos3428 wrote:Just checked and it is briefly listed on here:

Whoops.  I completely misread the question.  :oops: I had the version as shown on the Acaeum.  (Not my fault, though...I had been up for 6 hours fixing a fiber optic network, sans coffee).  I suspect that BTB's suggestion that they changed the format is correct, however.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:22 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:...I had been up for 6 hours fixing a fiber optic network, sans coffee. I suspect that BTB's suggestion that they changed the format is correct, however.

Sans Coffee!??!  

Someone get an I.V. started, stat!  **snaps gloves**

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:11 am 

i've got the boxed set one thats shown on the acaeum, but it doesnt look anything like the one in the earlier pic "from the TSR catalog"

Al

ps no i havent got the one in the pic either :)