Boot Hill question
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:35 am 

I got such a quick reply to my Chainmail question that I thought I would ask one about Boot Hill.

I'm thinking of the old golden-colored booklets, 6.5" by 8.5", and First Edition. I have a 2nd printing copy of this and occasionally see on e-bay a 1st printing copy with a different cover. My copy shows two guys ahving a gunfight, guns drawn, smoke from guns, lots of details in the artwork, etc. The 1st printing I see shows a guy in a street looking into a sunset and getting ready for a gunfight.

Does anyone know if there are any differences (ther than the cover) between the two printings? (It would be nice if there were Acaeum pages like the D&D pages for other TSR games!)

Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
D&D Player Since 1975

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:40 pm 

Finarvyn wrote:Does anyone know if there are any differences (ther than the cover) between the two printings?

I can't help you there, though I'm sure others can :D

(It would be nice if there were Acaeum pages like the D&D pages for other TSR games!)

Heh, we've talked about this on and off for awhile.  Check out "The Acaeum Distributed Computing Project" forum!

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:05 pm 

Finarvyn wrote:(It would be nice if there were Acaeum pages like the D&D pages for other TSR games!)

I have unlimited bandwidth and can afford the space for a site of this nature, however I lack the funds to purchase most of these items and do not always have the time to do the work on such a site.  I have considered creating a non-dnd Acaeum clone site but would need more help to do it (in essence I can offer disk space and bandwidth, but would need a few dedicated souls to help with gathering information and doing updates).

~jeff

PS I would also need the consent of those running the Acaeum before undertaking such a project, even though I would not reprint what was here, the format of this site is very recogniseable and carries a sort of "brand identity" that would likely be required to build a site that would gain any sort of legitmatecy(sp?).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:15 pm 

GamersRest[FNG] wrote:I lack the funds to purchase most of these items and do not always have the time to do the work on such a site. I have considered creating a non-dnd Acaeum clone site but would need more help to do it.

Well, I would never suggest that you buy everything, but I'm sure that lots of us have access and could do scans and report information on the editions we already own.

Creating and maintianing the side is another issue.

Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
D&D Player Since 1975

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:50 pm 

Adding some BH discussion links to this thread from the Recent Fun Finds thread @ about4983-0-asc-60.html about BH with the separate map sheets:

bclarkie wrote:
grodog wrote:Very cool, NetRodent:  I didn't know about the other mapsheet (don't recall seeing that in other BH 1st auctions before---was it supposed to be bound into the center of the book, or is a completely separate sheet?).

Actually that makes me a very happy camper.  The copy that I won last year had the loose map and I was under the impression that the previous owner had removed it from the staples. Good news for me! :D

and

bclarkie wrote:Alright, I just dug out my copy and now I now remember why I was a bit disappointed with mine....the last page of the booklet which is a perforated tear out page has been removed from my booklet. It is included but it has been detached. :x  

After looking at my copy, I found that I actually have 2 of those maps sheets, not just one(perhaps the second one came from a second copy the previous owner had or perhaps when TSR was assembling the booklet someone inadvertantly put a second map in by mistake). :?  I am almost 100% positive that they are both originals  and neither one of them have staple holes in them, so they were most certainly inserted after the fact and they were not bound into the book. :)

and

NetRodent wrote:I just checked and the map does not have staple holes in it.  I don't see any sign that the map was attached to the booklet in any way.  It looks like it was just folded in half and tucked inside the cover, which makes me wonder how the map stayed with the booklet in a retail setting.  Could it have been sold in some sort of sleeve or envelope?  

The tear-out tables at the back are still attached.

Its good to see that Faro has returned, if only temporarily.

Well, I just won a 1st BH (though I'm not sure which printing, if there's more than one of the booklet-sized-ersions?); details @  
** expired/removed eBay auction **

This booklet is pretty nice, and includes a single-sided loose map folded in half and inserted between pages 28 and 29, as well as the perforated sheet of reference charts still bound-in at the back of the booklet.  The loose map isn't a map of the town, but instead of several town buildings (Sheriff's office, Pony Express and Telegraph stations, and Delta Saloon).

So, are there multiple printings of BH 1st?  If so, how does one tell them apart?  The TSR Product List in my booklet starts with C&R and runs up through Classic Warfare, listed as "Coming Soon!" and the address for TSR is still 542 Sage Street (though I don't have any idea if that's relevant or not:  has anyone compiled a timeline of the TSR street addresses relative to product release dates we've been able to pin down relative to the logos in use at the time?).

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:09 am 

There are two digest sized Boot Hill books.  You won the first print.  The second print has completely different cover artwork and some different interior artwork.

The loose map on the inside are the building maps referenced in the book.  I don't know at what point the error was caught that TSR forgot to print the building layouts in the book (i.e. if all BH books initially included this map or not).  When I purchased my 1st print it didn't have the map but I got a copy from BClarkie so I feel whole now :)  The layouts are printed in the 2nd print booklet.

If you are looking for a more precise time on when the 1st and 2nd editions were published you should ask Shane - he's been compiling the catalogs for most of the early TSR items.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:36 am 

Tentative dates here:
Boot Hill 1st (5/75)
Boot Hill 2nd (8/77)
Boot Hill 3rd (4/79) (2nd Edition, 1st Printing)

Man I need to get one of these files looked over again and sent to you Mars for PDFing.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:41 am 

Interesting that it was more than two years between the 1st print and 2nd.  Perhaps it was a slow(ish) seller compared to the interest in early D&D??

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:46 am 

red_bus wrote:Interesting that it was more than two years between the 1st print and 2nd.  Perhaps it was a slow(ish) seller compared to the interest in early D&D??

There could always be that elusive unknown printing...  :D

ShaneG.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:50 am 

Aha. You mean, the one with the expanded rules and campaign setting in Western Greyhawk, that was swiftly pulped and only exists in the hands of a small and secretive cabal of collectors  :wink:

Let's go fly a kite

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:06 am 

red_bus wrote:Aha. You mean, the one with the expanded rules and campaign setting in Western Greyhawk, that was swiftly pulped and only exists in the hands of a small and secretive cabal of collectors  :wink:

You have one too! :)

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:30 am 

Thanks guys.  After GenCon, I plan to restart my non-D&D TSR subweb efforts, so hopefully we'll be able to compile a lot of this info into one place!

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:34 am 

- Tentative dates here:
- Boot Hill 1st (5/75)
july or august. not sure which
good win grodog. had to resist bidding :) :)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:42 am 

- Aha. You mean, the one with the expanded rules and campaign setting in Western Greyhawk, that was swiftly pulped and only exists in the hands of a small and secretive cabal of collectors  :wink:[/quote]
thought that was optional rules for gunfighting in gygaxs conan aka hyborian age diplomacy back in 1971-72 8O 8O
checks. sorry no only panzerfaust for sixshooters :D :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:00 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:- Tentative dates here:
- Boot Hill 1st (5/75)
july or august. not sure which
good win grodog. had to resist bidding :) :)

Heh, thanks, RsT (along with anyone else who didn't bid)---I really hadn't expected to win it with the price :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:23 pm 

"Note to directors & movie studios: Please do a remake!"

It's a request Wayne made back in 2007.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:16 am 

Plaag wrote in Boot Hill question:
red_bus wrote:Aha. You mean, the one with the expanded rules and campaign setting in Western Greyhawk, that was swiftly pulped and only exists in the hands of a small and secretive cabal of collectors  :wink:

You have one too! :)

ShaneG.

< nostalgia > Hey! check out those witty Acaeum members from ten years ago ...  8O

Also I loved the recent TV series - an accompanying rpg would be great!

Let's go fly a kite

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:53 am 

Hi All,

There was a Boot Hill section on the Acaeum Wiki. About six weeks back, Foul managed to get the site back up. It had gone down after a major version change and was down for about three years!!! I think many of us that worked on the site (including myself) just had too much regular work and it took a long time to get it back up.

Anyway, the Boot Hill section is a bit of a mess and a few of us are now working to get all he images back up and to fix the remaining errors.

Here are the links to the Boot Hill section:

About page
Product listing
Core rules page

Note: these pages were developed by grubbiv,who has not been here for a long time and all the images are lost. If anyone has scans to match those missing, let me know!!!

Next