R4 Prepub
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Author

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5625
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:19 pm 
 

I need some help with this one. It is 49 pages long, and is printed out on computer paper, 49 contiguous sheets. I have a scan if anyone is interested, I do not know how to post pics in threads.


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:37 pm 
 

Deadlord36 wrote:I do not know how to post pics in threads.

I can't comment on the rest. But as far as images go, you need to get your image hosted somewhere

e.g. ./images/404.png

Then you link to this in your message as:

"Image"

But without the quotes

Give it a go :wink:

If you don't have http://www.maskedshiller.com you can always upload to a free image hosting site such as ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6214
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 08, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:42 pm 
 

johnhuck wrote:
Deadlord36 wrote:I do not know how to post pics in threads.

I can't comment on the rest. But as far as images go, you need to get your image hosted somewhere

e.g. http://www.maskedshiller.com/R4.jpg

Then you link to this in your message as:

"[ Image ]"

But without the quotes

Give it a go :wink:

If you don't have http://www.maskedshiller.com you can always upload to a free image hosting site such as ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting


That's good advice. Give the guy a sticker. :wink:


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5625
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:03 pm 
 

Thanks, John. I will do that as soon as a good friend is done altering the image a bit. There are some unique traits that a forger would have to know to be able to reproduce this.
So far, it's beginning to look like this might be a truly unique item. I'm not sure it is a prepub. It is not in a format that would have been handed out to customers or RPGA members. Does anyone know for sure if they even RELEASED an R4 prepub?


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  

User avatar

Site Admin

Posts: 2081
Joined: Oct 19, 2002
Last Visit: Mar 08, 2021
Location: Honolulu, HI

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:04 pm 
 

Have you e-mailed Frank Mentzer?  ([email protected])  I'd think he'd know one way or the other.  The popular theory was that a pre-pub was never released; I'd always assumed that the actual tournament version was labelled "R3 Part 2".  I know that a pre-pub R4 was never advertised, at least.

If you e-mail Mentzer, just make sure you don't mention you're inquiring for The Acaeum.  He doesn't care much for us.

Foul

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5625
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:06 pm 
 

Got the reply. It is indeed a tourney R4. He says it is insanely rare. They were not published. If it is dot-matrix, it came from TSR's HP printer. If not, it came from his personal printer. I feel ashamed, being a network engineer for 11 years, but I cannot tell the difference. Of course, I specialize in security, not printers. It APPEARS dot-matrix.
Well, I don't collect prepubs, so this one will end up going, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on who it goes to).


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:22 pm 
 

FoulFoot wrote:If you e-mail Mentzer, just make sure you don't mention you're inquiring for The Acaeum. He doesn't care much for us.
Foul

How come? Something happen in the past? I'm intrigued.

And how on earth did you get hold of a copy Frank? (checks bidding history for dot matrix printer bids!  :wink: )

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5625
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:51 am 
 

Ancient Chinese secret.


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  

User avatar

Site Admin

Posts: 2081
Joined: Oct 19, 2002
Last Visit: Mar 08, 2021
Location: Honolulu, HI

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:46 am 
 

Hmm.  I think nearly all computer printers in that time frame were dot-matrix.  Certainly most home computers used them.  The other two types would have been laser (very expensive in the mid-80's), and thermal.  Laser type of that era (non-TrueType) would have jagged edges to everything, but it wouldn't be dots (laser uses toner, like a copy machine, and it's a plastic powder).  Thermal would be printed on thermal paper, which is easy to distinguish (glossy, very flimsy, tends not to stay flat).

It's probably impossible to tell whether it came off of TSR's dot-matrix, or a dot-matrix at Frank's home.  Though maybe he meant that his original was typed on a typewriter?

If you e-mail Mentzer, just make sure you don't mention you're inquiring for The Acaeum. He doesn't care much for us.

Eh, a long story, and I won't go into it, since Mentzer isn't here to defend himself.  Suffice to say that he does not approve of The Acaeum, specifically the price estimations herein (nor does he think highly of the print sequences on certain items).

Foul

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:15 am 
 

Deadlord36 wrote:Got the reply. It is indeed a tourney R4. He says it is insanely rare. They were not published. If it is dot-matrix, it came from TSR's HP printer. If not, it came from his personal printer. I feel ashamed, being a network engineer for 11 years, but I cannot tell the difference. Of course, I specialize in security, not printers. It APPEARS dot-matrix.
Well, I don't collect prepubs, so this one will end up going, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on who it goes to).

If I remember correctly, there were two basic types of dox-matrix printers back then...

Higher quality, more expensive 24-pin models with overlapping dots were called (near) "letter quality" and were mostly found in business environments in the early 80s.  Cheaper 9-pin models without overlapping dots were for home use at that time.

If you break out a magnifying glass you should be able to determine if the dots overlap, and if they do, it was probably on TSR's HP.  That's a bit of an assumption there, but it might help.

 YIM  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Mar 08, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:17 am 
 

Wow, this has turned into "Everything you wanted to know about 80's printers and more". :wink:  :D


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:21 am 
 

bclarkie wrote:Wow, this has turned into "Everything you wanted to know about 80's printers and more". :wink: :D

Heh.  If the copy has any streaks, you could measure the distance between them and determine the size of the roller/printhead/ribbon (depending on the type of streak) and hence the make/model.  Well, maybe. :)  But that's more difficult.

 YIM  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:38 am 
 

deimos3428 wrote:
Deadlord36 wrote:Got the reply. It is indeed a tourney R4. He says it is insanely rare. They were not published. If it is dot-matrix, it came from TSR's HP printer. If not, it came from his personal printer. I feel ashamed, being a network engineer for 11 years, but I cannot tell the difference. Of course, I specialize in security, not printers. It APPEARS dot-matrix.
Well, I don't collect prepubs, so this one will end up going, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on who it goes to).

If I remember correctly, there were two basic types of dox-matrix printers back then...

Higher quality, more expensive 24-pin models with overlapping dots were called (near) "letter quality" and were mostly found in business environments in the early 80s. Cheaper 9-pin models without overlapping dots were for home use at that time.

If you break out a magnifying glass you should be able to determine if the dots overlap, and if they do, it was probably on TSR's HP. That's a bit of an assumption there, but it might help.

One further possibility struck me.  Assuming by "computer paper", that Frank meant fan-fold tractor-feed paper (you remember, the kind with the perforated strips), if there is no evidence of printed dots, it could be a daisy-wheel printer.  These were prized in the early 80s because of their superior text; they died out in the desktop publishing revolution because they couldn't print graphics at all.  Hope this helps.

 YIM  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5625
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:19 am 
 

It doesn't have the strips on the side, so it isn't tractor-fed. It is just plain sheets.


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5625
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:20 am 
 

He actually said it came from either the dot-matrix printer at TSR, or from his personal character printer in his office.


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5625
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:17 pm 
 

It appears to be a character printer, doesn't look like dots, so I'm guessing it came from Mentzer's printer.
So, Scott, how does this get listed in the "Rares"?


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1