Chainmail question
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:54 pm 

I'm new to these boards, so I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I was looking at the Acaeum page for the Chainmail miniatures rules, and an interesting quote attracted my attention in the write-up of first edition (1971)

"In fact, this version contains only six spells, which were expanded to 20 in later prints"

Two questions:
1. Does anyone know which 6 spells were in this edition.
2. My third edition, forth printing (1977) rules only contain 16 spells. Were another four spells added later on, and can anyone give me a write-up for the late adds

Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
D&D Player Since 1975

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:05 pm 

Finarvyn wrote:I'm new to these boards, so I hope I'm posting this in the right place.
I was looking at the Acaeum page for the Chainmail miniatures rules, and an interesting quote attracted my attention in the write-up of first edition (1971)
Two questions:
1. Does anyone know which 6 spells were in this edition.

(1ed.)
"...there are virtually unlimited numbers of spells that can be employed, but the list below contains the major ones used in most fantastic battles:"
1. Phantasmal Forces (plural)
2. Darkness
3. Wizard Light
4. Detection
5. Concealment
6. Conjuration of an Elemental

Wizard attack modes of "Fireball" and "Lightening Bolt" (sic) are classed as "missiles" rather than "spells".

(2ed.)
as above, plus
7. Moving Terrain
8. Protection from Evil

=
Welcome to the board! :)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:20 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Welcome to the board! :)

Thanks, and thank you for such a speedy reply! This question had been bugging me for a long time!

Finarvyn
D&D Player Since 1975

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:51 pm 

Finarvyn wrote:Thanks, and thank you for such a speedy reply! This question had been bugging me for a long time!

Thanks; and for that nudge. :)
Had been leaving a comparison between 1st, 2nd and 3rd edition "until later". (*coughs*... am slow...).
There are other differences in the spell mechanics, too.

Apologies, will have to give the 3rd edition a miss, since I don't have a decent run of the various printings.
Like you said, it's certainly 16 spells with no obvious "reverse spells" to increment that number in the 4th print of the 3rd edition (snap!) and in theory that's just "one edition". ;)

Hopefully someone else might know the answer to that part of the question...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:20 am 

Well, I just thought it was interesting that the "offical" Acadum write-up mentioned 20 spells but my version only had 16. Made me wonder if 20 was a typo or if more were added later, which seemed strange since (as you stated) it appears that all 3rd Edition rules sets were pretty much identical.

By the way -- your point about Fireball and Lighting Bolt was a good one. If I remember correctly, my list of 16 does not include either and they are listed in the missile attack section, so I guess that makes my total 18.

Still not sure where they got #19 adn #20, though.  :?

Finarvyn
D&D Player Since 1975

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:17 am 

Another Chainmail question: if Fire Ball and Lightning Bolt are missile attacks and not spells, how do you know how many FB or LB missiles can be cast by a wizard? (I know they have to specify FB or LB before the scenario, but I don't see anything that says how many.)

Finarvyn
D&D Player Since 1975

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:17 pm 

Thread necromancy: I'd like to know the list of creatures in the fantasy supplement, in version 1 and 2?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:16 pm 

I have a photocopy of a Guidon 2nd Fantasy Supplement from the lot that included the Tome of Midkemia, and here are the creatures listed in its page 35 General Line-Up listing:

Law:  hobbits, dwarves, gnomes, heroes, Super Heroes, Wizards, Ent, Magic Weapons

Neutral:  sprites, pixieis, elves, fairies, lycanthropes, giants, rocs, elementals, chimera

Chaos:  goblins, kobolds, orcs, anti-heroes, wizards, wraiths, wights, lycanthropes, ogre, true trolls, balrogs, giants, dragons, basilisks

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:37 pm 

Thanks a lot! It seems the list is the same than in 3d. I remember a quote from Dave Arneson (in FFC I think) about only 6 monsters in 1st edition.

Also, I'd like to know if the 5 "levels" of wizards are allready there, and if the numbers for armor (above the range weapon table) in the man-to-man combat table are already in 2nd?