L3 Deep Dwarven Delve Exploitation
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:33 am 

Hey guys, anyone kind of fed up with resellers or in fact anyone who opens up the 25th anniv box set and sells the item piece by piece? The one I am most fed up with is L3. Resellers, etc all know that the item fetches a good amount of money and all of them go on ebay and buys a 25 anniv box set for 30-35, opens it up, takes out the L3 and sell it for $40-50 just by itself.   I call that one of the gayest things I have ever seen. Worst yet I see some pretty intelligent buyers buying the damn thing.  FOR CHRIST SAKES, JUST BUY YOURSELF A 25th anniv box set and QUIT WASTING YOUR MONEY.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:42 am 

I hate to admit it, but I bought a Dwarven Delve at ebay.  I didn't do any research, other than to check the Acaeum estimated value, and thought I had made a good deal.  Months later come to find that you could get the whole silver anniversary box for about the same price.   Now that I've bought a box, I'm stuck with two of the DDD.   I would hate to pass the mistake on to another that is just starting to collect, so for now I think I'll just have two.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:32 pm 

Hi Dave,  Go ahead and list your L3! Just clearly mention that this item came out of the 25th anniversary boxset. Maybe someone will buy it and you can recoup some of your cost. Maybe some of the bidders in the market for an L3 will read your description and be cautious when buying theirs from other sellers. I am a little perlexed on the value of L3 here on the Acaeum....$45 mint? (are we allowed to criticize the hand that feeds our dicussion forum?)  Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:01 pm 

Well perhaps the Acaeum is adding to the price of the L3 by saying it is worth $45 mint. Resellers see this and go and buy the 25th anniv and open it up selling each item piece by piece. Perhaps the acaeum should not list a price for the L3. I'm thinking there should be no price listed. It should just say "Available in 25th anniv box set"  On a side note, I bet if people continue to open the boxes up, etc, the 25th anniv box set may increase in value one day as shrinkwrap version become harder and harder to find.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:13 pm 

The value of L3 was based totally on the current selling price.  You can't buy an L3 on eBay for less than $35, and it usually goes for closer to $50.  Those sale prices were in effect long before we posted it here, although I agree that the value on The Acaeum is only perpetuating that.  However, I'll disagree that the value should be lowered.  Should it also be lowered on the Kara-Tur set, because that set is actually quite common?  What about the H-series modules?  We state quite clearly on that page that L3 was only available in the 25th Anniversary Boxed Set.  I suppose I should include a statement as well concerning how easily available it is, but after that, it's up to the marketplace.  If someone is not careful enough to do even a very basic level of research on something (and the fact that L3 is part of the 25th Anniv set is certainly not a secret), then more fool them.  Trusting what the seller is spouting is usually their first mistake -- at least once a month, someone is convinced that the latest OCE set on eBay is a first print.  You're right, though, Mike -- the value of 25th Anniversary set in shrinkwrap is bound to rise, since so many have already been opened for their contents.  I've been planning on covering the set shortly, if only for the sake of completeness.  Perhaps this too will help alleviate any lingering confusion over what is packaged with it.  Foul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:10 am 

I'm resurrecting this thread because i'm contemplating selling a few anniversary sets that i can get my hands on cheap.

I think the prices for the set should be updated in the acaeum listings. I've seen them (on the crazy auction price or interesting item threads) go for much more than  $ 51 in SW condition regularly. Closed item search and current auctions confirm that...

Any comments? ... the Valuation Board?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:22 am 

frankfromgermany wrote:I'm resurrecting this thread because i'm contemplating selling a few anniversary sets that i can get my hands on cheap.

I think the prices for the set should be updated in the acaeum listings. I've seen them (on the crazy auction price or interesting item threads) go for much more than $ 51 in SW condition regularly. Closed item search and current auctions confirm that...

yeah i have followed 4-5 of them now and all have gone between $80 and $110.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:55 am 

Someone offered me a L3 recently, shrinkwrapped  8O
....and he didn't mean the whole box.
I hope no-one would ever be stupid enough to fall for that one.

....but if anyone does want one in shrink I'm sure I can find one somewhere, along with an ultra rare B2 module I've been hoarding. :twisted:
It's the expensive 1st edition shrink wrap that puts the price up. Just where are those shrink wrap collectors when you want one?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:24 am 

Well, I bought one Silver Box recently (a mint one I will keep for myself) and I found from a retailer an interesting stash of items that includes an L3 and other extracts from a defunct one.  :cry:

Bought them all for a discounted price. Part will go into my personal collection, others (like the L3 and all) I will resell.

I'm not happy myself of this occurring, and in this I agree with Mkman, but we can't close our eyes and pretend it's not occurring - it happens and has ever happened in collectionism. There are lots of people out there who don't care about the rest of the contents, but strive for an L3 to complete their collection.

And so, even if I wouldn't rip a Silver Box open myself to dig it out, I feel no shame about buying one from the market and reselling it to someone who would love to get it - as for me, I was very happy to get my first OD&D booklets, even without the box.

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:43 pm 

I myself, i might add, opened up my Anniversary set (that i bought new from my FLGS when it first came out) to have a look at the contents!  :)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:17 pm 

Ultimately I believe that the 1000 Silver Anniversary box sets with the signed and numbered Easley print begin to fetch the highest prices. It still doesn't seem to be well known that they exist but once it is more widely know it might encourage the shrink-wrap to be taken off sets to examine the print.  That seems to be the only way to tell if you have one which would mean even less shrink-wrapped boxes on the market.

Note that one just sold on EBay for US$102.22 by gal_havoc was number 985. I wonder if those folks bidding knew that.

Cheers,
Curt

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:33 pm 

CGOULD42 wrote:Ultimately I believe that the 1000 Silver Anniversary box sets with the signed and numbered Easley print begin to fetch the highest prices. It still doesn't seem to be well known that they exist but once it is more widely know it might encourage the shrink-wrap to be taken off sets to examine the print. That seems to be the only way to tell if you have one which would mean even less shrink-wrapped boxes on the market.

Note that one just sold on EBay for US$102.22 by gal_havoc was number 985. I wonder if those folks bidding knew that.

Cheers,
Curt

Hmmm, had no idea they existed.  I'll have to check the two opened sets I've got.  Thanks for the info.  :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:12 pm 

The SA sets with the signed print have a silver sticker on the shrink that states "Includes signed limited edition print by Jeff Easley". We also agree that in the long run the signed/sealed ones will command the highest prices.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:51 pm 

burntwire wrote:The SA sets with the signed print have a silver sticker on the shrink that states "Includes signed limited edition print by Jeff Easley". We also agree that in the long run the signed/sealed ones will command the highest prices.

Thanks! That helps a lot. When I got mine it already had the shink-wrap removed. Time to start scaning EBay.

Cheers,
Curt

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:59 am 

frankfromgermany wrote:I'm resurrecting this thread because i'm contemplating selling a few anniversary sets that i can get my hands on cheap.

I think the prices for the set should be updated in the acaeum listings. I've seen them (on the crazy auction price or interesting item threads) go for much more than $ 51 in SW condition regularly. Closed item search and current auctions confirm that...

Thanks for bringing this up - most of the current items we are tracking are the higher rarity ones (as well as some of the more popular items such as D&D w/Cthulhu and various Greyhawk/Bloodstone modules.  It has been on my mind to suggest that we also track L3 and Complete Silver Anniversary sets as well.  Just a question of getting to it really - currently, we are finishing up with finalizing this quarter's valuations and presenting them to Foul for an update.  SA sets would probably get tracked in the NEXT quarter.  

There should be some new information shortly, but just to update everyone: we have been working diligently over this time even though things have been rather quiet of late.  8)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "