ETC/GAME EMP/jonb7839,lisas_stuff_too! is now she_wolf626
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:51 am 

rosenkav wrote:Why not?

Seems like this ETC guy is screwing people with the help (or blank cooperation) of ebay.

How many have fallen in this kind of trap?

I generally think twice or thrice before raising accusations, but in this case... maybe I'll let the long arm of justice find out who's behind this.

Just contact the people who have been ripped off by this guy, and feed them the facts. I think their lawyers will have something to say about this.

This option has been discussed here before, and like with copyright infringers you have to be able to prove that Ebay willingly and knowingly turned a blind eye to the wrong doing. Darkseraphim posted in one of the earlier threads several links to stories about folks who either sued directly or named Ebay as a codefendant in a lawsuit, under circumstances just like this and Ebay came out free and clean in ALL of them. Proving Ebay definitely knew of the wrong doing is extremely difficult as best. Another problem is that in the here in the US more than anywhere else, money talks and bullsh*t takes a stroll. :roll: A lot of times it is not about whether Ebay or anyone else for that matter is "Guilty", sometimes having the money to continue to defend yourself is enough. :roll: This happens a lot here unfortunately i.e OJ Simpson, PTE & G, the Tabacco companies, etc.   Nobody at this point has had the desire or the cash flow to fight Ebay to the end. I imagine it will happen sooner or later, but it hasn't happened yet.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:02 am 

Getting screwed by some guy on eBay is a right of passage. Everyone has to learn the lesson. You just need to hope it's not too expensive or painful. Is there anyone on this board who hasn't been stiffed by a bogus seller? Or his son?

I've probably lost about $150 over the passed three years.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:18 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Getting screwed by some guy on eBay is a right of passage. Everyone has to learn the lesson. You just need to hope it's not too expensive or painful. Is there anyone on this board who hasn't been stiffed by a bogus seller? Or his son?

Actually I've never yet been screwed on ebay.  But then I rarely buy anything on ebay, and when I do I make sure the options are in my corner (pay by credit card or paypal, etc).   Just because it can happen doesn't mean it's right, and on top of that it hurts our hobby and other legitimate resellers/buyers.  It's situations like this where the only recourse is vigilante justice.......... :D

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:01 am 

i've been stiffed three times now for a total of appx $150 too. if i ever get hold of one of the feckers who did it - i can assure you i will most definately be getting medieval on them  :evil:

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:01 am 

Badmike wrote:It's situations like this where the only recourse is vigilante justice.......... :D

I second the motion. Put an ad' in Soldier of Fortune and have the guy taken care of.

.....that was a joke BTW. I thought I heard someone reach for the phone. :lol:

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:03 am 

why joke about it? its about time someone really did do that...soon stop the little feckers. i wish i knew where them 2 warehouses were. if someone paid for me to go, i would burn the feckin things down.

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:10 am 

killjoy32 wrote:....i will most definately be getting medieval on them :evil:

Nice, Medieval. 8O Alan, will that be with both some pliers and a blow torch too? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:21 am 

heheh i imagine a morning star, a blunt spoon and my girlfriends marble rolling pin would come in damn handy at some point, as well as the pliers and blowtorch :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:08 am 

Look whose bidding on this auction:
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... eName=WDVW
Although its like turning to the dark side, do you think somebody should try to warn him, to see if he hasn't already realized who he is buying from? 8O

Its amazing how eerily dead the rest of his auctions are though. Almost no action at all:
eBay listings

Its almost like the calm before the storm............... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:55 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Getting screwed by some guy on eBay is a right of passage. Everyone has to learn the lesson. You just need to hope it's not too expensive or painful. Is there anyone on this board who hasn't been stiffed by a bogus seller? Or his son?

Thanks anyway, but I think I shall pass on that right......

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:52 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Look whose bidding on this auction:
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... eName=WDVW
Although its like turning to the dark side, do you think somebody should try to warn him, to see if he hasn't already realized who he is buying from? 8O

Proof of existence of a higher power.  Too funny, if Cougie wants to bid on Game Emporium's stuff, well...
Although most will remember that ETC and GE started out legit, pulling people in with good feedback and decent items for sale, before (both times) eventually not shipping and disappearing.  Based on this, I suspect that the first few rounds of offerings from the New Game Emporium will probably be trouble free and with a minimum of late shipping as the conmen like to spread a little "seed" around to help the vines grow.....All these first auctions will no doubt go well. It's the people buying from him in a few months that will have problems....

Its amazing how eerily dead the rest of his auctions are though. Almost no action at all:
eBay listings

Its almost like the calm before the storm............... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Well, sometimes even conmen and pyramid schemers overestimate stupidity of a guilable public.  I mean, there are 30+ other Fiend Folios for sale at this time (some starting as low as a buck), and a half dozen auctions for L1 Bone Hill (starting at the same), so I don't know the New Game Emporium will get any points saying that the items are "Rare" when it's obvious they aren't, or having starting bids quite a bit more than the Ebay average.  Maybe Mysterious Strangers won't have to bid on this guys stuff after all.............. :twisted:

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:29 pm 

I just realized something.  Today is the day of reckoning for 9 of these auctions.  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:38 pm 

TIME TO DROP THE BOMB!

TO HELL WITH THAT THIEVING BITCH!

NUKEM!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:59 pm 

Y'know I have to say that this whole affair would make an intriguing plot for a module.  A rumor circulates around a bazzar or marketplace that a merchant in a distant land holds great treasures he's willing to part with, yet cannot journey to the marketplace himself, so he sends his lackeys to do the selling.

Other rumors circulate that the merchant is in fact lord of a guild of theives bent on robbing seekers of rare and wondrous items - and there is evidence of those very misdeeds.

A party of adventurers must be assembled, therefore, to...

:twisted:

I'm off to write!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:06 pm 

DungeonDelver wrote:Y'know I have to say that this whole affair would make an intriguing plot for a module. A rumor circulates around a bazzar or marketplace that a merchant in a distant land holds great treasures he's willing to part with, yet cannot journey to the marketplace himself, so he sends his lackeys to do the selling.

Other rumors circulate that the merchant is in fact lord of a guild of theives bent on robbing seekers of rare and wondrous items - and there is evidence of those very misdeeds.

A party of adventurers must be assembled, therefore, to...

:twisted:

I'm off to write!

Dear god, that's brilliant.  Could you put in something about a greedy mountain cat?  :D

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:15 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Dear god, that's brilliant. Could you put in something about a greedy mountain cat? :D

Or a tan Rakshasa? :)

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:45 pm 

MrFilthyIke wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:Dear god, that's brilliant. Could you put in something about a greedy mountain cat? :D

Or a tan Rakshasa? :)

I think the Rakshasha is a fine villian here.

Hmm, character levels 3-6...yes...yes, this will do nicely.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:34 pm 

DungeonDelver wrote:Hmm, character levels 3-6...yes...yes, this will do nicely.

:lol:  :lol:

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

PreviousNext