ETC/GAME EMP/jonb7839,lisas_stuff_too! is now she_wolf626
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 34 of 64123 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 626364
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:26 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Part of the problem is that he does have some items that are semi-rare, and the vast majority of collectors do not have the patience it takes to collect smartly. I can't say it enough times; EVERYTHING shows up eventually..

Bingo.  Unless it's an unpublished original manuscript, you will see it again and probably from a much more legitimate, Acaeum member seller that won't take your money and run.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:36 pm 

Reindeergamez wrote:I agree to an extent with what's been said regarding those who've chosen to bid on Jon's stuff.

I personally have made an effort to "go the extra mile" with quick shipping, personal contact, and accurate descriptions on my items. When someone like Jon comes along and screws with buyers, that buyer is going to be ALOT more hesitant to buy from ANYONE on ebay next time. Particularly a couple of weeks ago, Jon looked to have good feedback unless you are looked deep and actually read the weak positives. So maybe JOEDRAGONGUY who got ripped off by jon (Who looked like a good seller) will next time just spend his money locally on what items he can find, instead of buying what he really wants off ebay just out of fear of another supposedly good seller ripping him off.

I also admit to perpetuating the cycle a bit, by having sold him a couple of lots of books, but I did finally see the light and had him blocked from bidding more reciently.

Another thing that saddens me in regards to him are the people that were ripped off that probably don't even realize it, those who bought the common items that he hyped as rare and got the big bids for.

This is a lot of what I said, only better put.  This is the true danger to Ebay sellers like myself, Reindeer, Guido, etc.  A decade before the "Gameguy" fiasco over at alt.frp.marketplace caused many potential customers to completely give up buying online for extended periods of time.  Their money and trust disappeared and to take it a step further, it cost good legitimate merchants like us money out of our pockets.  There are very real consequences in aiding criminal activitiy.
    The other danger of a Jonb is that maybe 1 or 2 scumbags who were merely thinking about such shenanigans might be encouraged by his continual thievery to go into business themselves.  It's hard enough keeping up with one criminal much less a gang of them...

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:01 am 

Mike,

Let's suppose he crops up again, and he is positively identified and outed on the forum.

In line with my e-mail, let's then suppose that a dozen or so members buy some of his early items. Within a couple of weeks he could be severely hurt and have the negative feedback that would deter most future buyers.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:54 am 

If he pops up again (which is 100% certain), I think much more drastic measures need to be taken.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:12 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Mike,

Let's suppose he crops up again, and he is positively identified and outed on the forum.

In line with my e-mail, let's then suppose that a dozen or so members buy some of his early items. Within a couple of weeks he could be severely hurt and have the negative feedback that would deter most future buyers.

When he's positively identified again, I think what you proposed will be a pretty good path to follow. Against 99% of bad sellers I wouldnt' recomend or participate in such vigilante actions, but in this case the offender is such a unrepentant fool that I'll get with you at that time to possibly join forces, or stagger attacks.  Hopefully he'll leave the business after a few atom bombs dropped on his pumpkin head.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:17 am 

Badmike wrote:When he's positively identified again, I think what you proposed will be a pretty good path to follow. Against 99% of bad sellers I wouldnt' recomend or participate in such vigilante actions, but in this case the offender is such a unrepentant fool that I'll get with you at that time to possibly join forces, or stagger attacks. Hopefully he'll leave the business after a few atom bombs dropped on his pumpkin head.

Mike B.

I have received similar support from other parties. If we could get a dozen or so hits it will hurt. I am mindful of his lurking on this board, and he knows most of our eBay handles.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:05 am 

I'm sure he does not know my ebay handle.  Just let me know what I can do to help out.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:01 pm 

Drop me a line also, I've got another ebay handle that I use to buy Non-gaming items with (stuff for the kid and house etc) so it's not known in these circles.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:23 pm 

I have a second Account as well.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:34 pm 

Creating an eBay account for this purpose wouldn't be hard either, until he blocks low-FB bidders, *then* switch to the higher-FB accounts ;)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:53 pm 

Count me in. I have another ebay handle that could take a neg in the name of justice.  8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:04 pm 

I'm in...with a second account...just for this type of thing.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:40 pm 

seeyouinescrow wrote:I'm in...with a second account...just for this type of thing.

i know a few ppl who would gladly involve themselves in this kinda thing. anything in the cause of justice.

o course i wouldnt have anything to do with it.... ***looks around innocently***

:twisted:

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:52 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
seeyouinescrow wrote:I'm in...with a second account...just for this type of thing.

i know a few ppl who would gladly involve themselves in this kinda thing. anything in the cause of justice.

o course i wouldnt have anything to do with it.... ***looks around innocently***

:twisted:

Al

I havn't been out to Virgina for awhile.....

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:15 pm 

muaddib5 wrote:I havn't been out to Virgina for awhile.....

:roll:

If folks really want to do something serious about him, go talk to the FBI about it. Mail fraud isn't treated lightly.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:20 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:

If folks really want to do something serious about him, go talk to the FBI about it. Mail fraud isn't treated lightly.

This is small potatos for a federal agency.  If we could locate exactly where he is in Virgina, contacting the local district attorney and law enforcement agency might be a better way to go.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:11 am 

GraysonAC wrote:

Mail fraud is a good nasty to hit someone with, but the problem is that there is typically a threshold of activity (i.e. ripped off parties) that must be documented before action is taken.  The problem with this happening on Ebay is a coordination of complaining parties leading to action.  If you could ever get enough people to all file a complaint, it might trigger actions....thenumber of complaintaints for Texas used to be 20, but that was years ago  so it may be much higher now.

MIke B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:25 am 

Badmike wrote:Mail fraud is a good nasty to hit someone with, but the problem is that there is typically a threshold of activity (i.e. ripped off parties) that must be documented before action is taken. The problem with this happening on Ebay is a coordination of complaining parties leading to action. If you could ever get enough people to all file a complaint, it might trigger actions....thenumber of complaintaints for Texas used to be 20, but that was years ago so it may be much higher now.

MIke B.

Well, as I said, if someone is serious about it, then there's all sorts of folks that left negatives for jonb.

Squashing him once he starts up again is all well and good, and I'll be happy to help out with that, but that doesn't do him any signifigant harm. No justice there.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 34 of 64123 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 626364