ETC/GAME EMP/jonb7839,lisas_stuff_too! is now she_wolf626
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 33 of 64123 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 626364
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:47 pm 

Ralf Toth wrote:Wow, this is a tough topic. I must admit I was shaking my head, seeing informed Acaeum members bidding on jonb/TGE/ETC auctions. Being informed of jonb's business practices and yet bidding on his stuff doesn't seem right to me. My first thought was, here is someone trying to strike a bargain from an outlawed thief. My second thought was, hopefully they learn their lesson.

Kudos to BadMike for having the balls to discuss this openly here, especially as a professional seller, who won't profit from this decision.

I think it is good to have this discussion here, but I'm not sure whether it is helpful to ban informed collectors who bid on the thief's stuff. After all, we shouldn't fight each other, while the thief is laughing at us.

Well, if nothing else it makes for interesting conversation.   I mostly just threw that out there to gauge everyone's reaction.  I don't know if I'd ever actually follow through on anything, but it is frustrating to watch what you know are informed, intelligent people do something dumb, and the frustration does boil over on occasion.  About like I felt last year when two of my closest friends fell for pyramid schemes (one was a multi-level marketing scam, the other a straight-forward pyramid money tree) while I was telling them the entire time they were being had, yet they were intelligent, grown up human beings so sometimes you just have to sit by and watch people get burned.  It was embarrasing when they were taken and yet they knew better and the money they lost could have gone to good purposes.  I suppose that's how I feel for anyone bidding on ETC/GE/JB's stuff...

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:43 pm 

I understand Mikey's point of view, but I agree, if someone wants to take the chance, and they get burned, too freking bad. I won a jonb auction, but I'd have gladly driven down there if it didnt arrive.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:34 pm 

He's certainly gotten a nice collection of negatives in the last few days...  Anyone notice that he described The Sunless Citadel as VERY RARE!?

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts aquire speed; the lips aquire stains; the stains become a warning.  It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:51 pm 

tec-9-7 wrote:He's certainly gotten a nice collection of negatives in the last few days... Anyone notice that he described The Sunless Citadel as VERY RARE!?

This isn't good news when you find a string like this on a guy you just bought something from, all negs:

Sent three emails,no response,been a month,paid June5th. No product.No exscuses.
 Buyer   numberonespud ( 78)   Jul-03-05 15:51  5202932459  

won the 29th, paid the 29th, no product 32 days later never again
 Buyer   bacaruda ( 54)   Jul-03-05 13:11  5200539576  

30 days and not recieved anything.got promise it was coming but +2 weeks nothing
 Buyer   501jonathanc ( 10)   Jul-02-05 17:42  5203283304  

no product no communication no deal terrible ebayer never buy anything from him
 Buyer   grandpa_gohan ( 15)   Jul-02-05 04:14  5205077659  

Never recieved item :(
 Buyer   elricrpg ( 62)   Jul-01-05 17:26  5202309747  

emailed and got no reponse
 Buyer   zerohero92 ( 93)   Jul-01-05 14:23  5200499679  

waited over a month and received nothing
 Buyer   zerohero92 ( 93)   Jul-01-05 14:22  5201191381  

Paid, but never recieved item. No response to emails I've sent since winning.
 Buyer   varek-kai ( 16)   Jun-29-05 10:06  5202649834

Mike B.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:04 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:Six of last seven (and eight of last 13) comments are negative.

Make that 10 of the last 11 being negatives ...

It's all over except for the formality of his account eventually being changed to "not a registered user."

+++++

Aside: Mike, good posts on the subect. I'm not sure I totally agree with everything (I'm a big "free will" guy), but I read every word and you've raised some interesting points that I need to think about more seriously than I have in the past.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:33 am 

Interesting that the "active" time for this clown keeps get shorter. Here's some relevant numbers:

ETC: Active 27 months**; 1,895 feedback (95.7 ratio)

TGE: Active for seven months; 707 feedback (88.9 ratio)

JonB: Final numbers aren't in yet, but he's only in his fourth month and his feedback appears to have topped out in the high 200s.

+++++

** interesting to note that ETC had a different user name from 10/00 to 07/02 ...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:58 am 

I wasn't really "around" when ETC was active, but TGE was a real thorn in my side when it came to outbidding me on large lots.  This time, I hardly even noticed it.  Nor do I really recall much of an outcry to the current incarnation's sales going for very high prices.

Warned buyers has led to poor sales . . . which leads to less purchasing power on large lots  . . . which leads to a quicker need to "get out" and make the big haul through more nefarious ways . . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:44 am 

Thanks to the Acaeum, I have never bought anything from this Jonb thief, nor I have even THOUGHT of doing it, even at the start of his course.

I think that this kind of people should be eradicated from the ground like a bad seed - and maybe our talks and advice here have helped to do this sooner than later.

My opinion is to display in the auctions we run something about the Acaeum, so that people could check here, and maybe help themselves defend against such scammers.

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:00 am 

rosenkav wrote:Thanks to the Acaeum, I have never bought anything from this Jonb thief, nor I have even THOUGHT of doing it, even at the start of his course.

I think that this kind of people should be eradicated from the ground like a bad seed - and maybe our talks and advice here have helped to do this sooner than later.

My opinion is to display in the auctions we run something about the Acaeum, so that people could check here, and maybe help themselves defend against such scammers.

Maybe a 'sticky' eBay fraud item would attract the casual passer by?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:30 am 

Personally, I agree with a lot of Mike said in his posts and it is actually the hidden message that I have been trying to relay for awhile now, but I did not want it to be viewed as an attack on the members of the board that had bought from him.

In the long run I don't think banning everyone from your auctions who bought(or at least attempted to buy from him) jonb's auctions would be the solution, but realistically it does make a very clear point. Lets face it, we are all adults here and we all most certainly make our own decisions in life, but the fact of the matter is that a lot of times that even though when you buy from a guy like this you ARE hurting more people than just yourself. Buying from a guy like jonb is not only taking money out of good and legitimate sellers hands, but you are helping to both perpetuate a cycle and continue a scam.

Jonb's scam is basically a pyramid scam. His scam is not to steal everone's money, he only steals some people's money. To make everyone understand what I mean, look at it this way. If jonb buys a 10 item lot from a seller and lists them all on Ebay, all of which sell, and to make the it simple, say for $10.00 each. He decides to ship 8 of the items that were paid for and not ship 2 of them. He then holds onto those items that he did not ship for another month or 2 and includes them with a different 13 item lot he purchased from a different seller in his next 15 auction listings. These items also sell for $10.00 each, and of that lot that sold and were paid for, he chooses to not ship 3 items. Then from that newer lot of items which he has sold but didnt ship the 3 from, he will then list those items again in another month or 2 down the road, with an even newer lot of 15 items he bought from 3rd seller. This process continues until the negs finally catch up to him and EBay boots him off, only to return another few months down the road under a new user ID and running the same scam.

Every time you buy an item from jonb you are giving him both more money to purchase more material (to sell or not sell) and you also providing him with more leverage(aka feedback in this circumstance) to end up stealing from someone else who doesn't know anything at all about the jonb7839/ETC/TGEs of the world. By continuing to buy from the jonbs of the world you ARE perpetuating the cycle of theft, so buying from jonb is NOT a victimless crime.

One last thing I wanted to mention that I don't think everyone realizes, and although some of you may not really care at all, the fact of the matter is that this forum is actually read by a lot of people who are not even neccessarily members of the forum (and I mean more than Cougar, Keep, and jonb) . These people who read the forums are interested in this hobby and a lot of times use this forum as a guide to help them with what to buy and what not to buy and also who to deal with and who not to deal with. Over the last couple of months I will bet that I have had at least 7 or 8 people who are not members of the forum, tell me that they read these forums and thanked me and the other members here for keeping them informed of who to buy from and who the hell to stay away from. A majority of the members of this forum represent what is the top of this hobby and a lot of people look to us to provide them guidence and help, so we should be holding ourselves to higher standard when dealing with the jonbs of the world.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:46 am 

I have actually resisted bidding on some of his stuff because of this forum, maybe it saved me some cash, maybe not.  I just can't bring myself to take a chance when he has ripped off so many.  On another note I did buy from him when he was the game emp. and got my item after six weeks.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:36 am 

Part of the problem is that he does have some items that are semi-rare, and the vast majority of collectors do not have the patience it takes to collect smartly. I can't say it enough times; EVERYTHING shows up eventually.
I have to admit, I bought the GM3 from jonb in the hopes that he wouldn't ship it. I didn't need it. But I was either one of the 8 out of 10, or he read the forum, because it arrived fairly quickly and in excellent shape. I did not leave feedback, however.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:40 am 

Well it is official, jonb7839 is now: No longer a registered user

eBay Feedback Profile for jonb7839

The question is how long before he shows up again? My guess will probably be around November, so keep an eye out.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:10 am 

I agree to an extent with what's been said regarding those who've chosen to bid on Jon's stuff.  

I personally have made an effort to "go the extra mile" with quick shipping, personal contact, and accurate descriptions on my items.  When someone like Jon comes along and screws with buyers, that buyer is going to be ALOT more hesitant to buy from ANYONE on ebay next time. Particularly a couple of weeks ago, Jon looked to have good feedback unless you are looked deep and actually read the weak positives.  So maybe JOEDRAGONGUY who got ripped off by jon (Who looked like a good seller) will next time just spend his money locally on what items he can find, instead of buying what he really wants off ebay just out of fear of another supposedly good seller ripping him off.

I also admit to perpetuating the cycle a bit, by having sold him a couple of lots of books, but I did finally see the light and had him blocked from bidding more reciently.

Another thing that saddens me in regards to him are the people that were ripped off that probably don't even realize it, those who bought the common items that he hyped as rare and got the big bids for.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:35 am 

bclarkie wrote:.....so buying from jonb is NOT a victimless crime.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, as they say. I proffited from the episode (I've PM'd you, Brian, to explain) :wink:

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:04 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Well it is official, jonb7839 is now: No longer a registered user

eBay Feedback Profile for jonb7839

The question is how long before he shows up again? My guess will probably be around November, so keep an eye out.

I'd like to think that eBay finally acted on that email.  But maybe just coincidental.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:36 pm 

eyeamgawd left a positive feedback for gm3.

Deadlord36 wrote:Part of the problem is that he does have some items that are semi-rare, and the vast majority of collectors do not have the patience it takes to collect smartly. I can't say it enough times; EVERYTHING shows up eventually.
I have to admit, I bought the GM3 from jonb in the hopes that he wouldn't ship it. I didn't need it. But I was either one of the 8 out of 10, or he read the forum, because it arrived fairly quickly and in excellent shape. I did not leave feedback, however.

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:09 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
Aside: Mike, good posts on the subect. I'm not sure I totally agree with everything (I'm a big "free will" guy), but I read every word and you've raised some interesting points that I need to think about more seriously than I have in the past.

Thanks, to provoke discussion was the main thrust of the post, glad to read everyone's take, whether we can agree or not we can always discuss issues intelligently, I hope...

Mike B.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 33 of 64123 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 626364