ETC/GAME EMP/jonb7839,lisas_stuff_too! is now she_wolf626
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 16 of 57123 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 555657
Author

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:02 am 
 

hey folks...here's a little news clip that popped up today, go check it out

Error 404 - Virgin Media

it just goes to show, that if ebay DON'T do anything about it, then other ppl eventually do!

so beware jonb/ETC/f*ckwit-who-stole-my-money...one day your luck will run out and i hope you get hit where it hurts the most, in the hardest way possible.

Al



  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1787
Joined: Apr 26, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 04, 2020
Location: Indianapolis

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:35 am 
 

Well, I'm a newbie to collecting and will buy nothing from him.  One of the first threads I read was on this guy.  Keep up the good work on exposing these idiots.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5634
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Jul 27, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:35 am 
 

I have a few bids in on some items. If they don't show up, that is fine, since I will be in the Virginia area at the end of June.


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7960
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jul 28, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:10 am 
 

When in doubt, just make up something about the module, maybe a newbie will bid on it, read the description:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 2&rd=1

The first appearance of the Dark Elves, aka Drow, was G3 Halls of the Fire Giant King, NOT D3 Vault of the Drow.  

And to add insult to injury, he states the item is "collectible"  Maybe a cherry copy of D3, not the piece of toilet paper he has for sale (check out the photo).  I've thrown away adventures in this shape. If you were going to create a D&D conman, you couldn't make this guy up....

Mike B.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 219
Joined: Apr 07, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 09, 2015
Location: UK

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 3:56 pm 
 

Don't know if this is common, but I've just heard of an ebay thief in the UK getting a 12 month sentence, he was selling non-existent camcorders and mobile phones:  

BBC NEWS | UK | Wales | eBay fraud boy detained for year

Anyway, the judges summing-up rings true here: "....you obtained cash by selling goods on the internet site eBay and carried on this conduct for over a year despite the warnings."
Thats right, he was warned not to and carried on whilst over £45k was stolen, presumably never to be returned.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6352
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 28, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:25 pm 
 

jonjhargreaves wrote:Thats right, he was warned not to and carried on whilst over £45k was stolen, presumably never to be returned.

So long as eBay got their cut why would they try to stop him? Its illgical to refuse income from a immoral source. Provided you are covered legally, you would be stupid not to take his business. Fraud or not, eBay provide the service and get their fee.

Also. Presumably, if the guy had bugged out at say £35,000 and 'taken his warnings' he'd have make a good years income with little work and no outlay. That is also good business sense. If he can figure out how to change name and address once a year, he has a good income and no stock. In fact, you could probably run a business like that from internett cafe's.

Until eBay is held accountable I think we all deserve what we get. Just like rock stars complaining about people ripping off ther music. We all know the risks of buying on eBay, and if we're ripped off now and again, that's just the way things are. You have to assess the risk, and don't pay money you're not willing to lose.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:53 pm 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Until eBay is held accountable I think we all deserve what we get. Just like rock stars complaining about people ripping off ther music. We all know the risks of buying on eBay, and if we're ripped off now and again, that's just the way things are. You have to assess the risk, and don't pay money you're not willing to lose.


You're right, but it really hurts if you're a casual eBay user and you get burned.
If you're one of the "big guys", you can absorb the impact better and carry on, treating it as one of the pitfalls of internet business.  Maybe even write it off as an business expense?  Not sure but I'm betting there's some accounting option there.
If you're not -- ouch.  No money/no item.  Suck it up.

 YIM  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 137
Joined: Apr 23, 2005
Last Visit: Dec 18, 2014
Location: Edmond, OK

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:21 pm 
 

I just sold this very module to him a week or two ago. If someone buys it at that price I want a cut 8)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

The first time this one sold...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5184607556

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6352
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 28, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:42 am 
 

pleveich wrote:I just sold this very module to him a week or two ago. If someone buys it at that price I want a cut 8)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

The first time this one sold...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5184607556

Well, I'd pay $8 for it. I didn't see it the first time round.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:37 am 
 

hey i have that module! can't remember what i paid for it though...though i do have it lying around somewhere :)



  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 144
Joined: Apr 26, 2005
Last Visit: May 03, 2021
Location: Rhosgobel

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:50 am 
 

reading this thread I've learnt something about jonb and now I only hope that "encyclopedia magica" and "Swords and spells" I've bought from him arrive. We will see ...
I'm a buyer (I'm not a reseller) and I have not your experience about ebay so I'm very interested in what you say.
Can you explain me how it is possible for an ebayer to erase a negative feedback? I've seen with my two eyes (four if you consider glasses) that jonb had some negative feedback, 3 if I'm not wrong, but now they are vanished ...
Moreover, if I read his feedbacks I find a lot of positive comments, some of them left by nicknames I can find in Acaeum forums.
In the end, is he a good person? Can I trust him or not?
thank you all

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 343
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Last Visit: Dec 28, 2017
Location: Turin, Italy

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:26 am 
 

radagast wrote:reading this thread I've learnt something about jonb and now I only hope that "encyclopedia magica" and "Swords and spells" I've bought from him arrive. We will see ...
I'm a buyer (I'm not a reseller) and I have not your experience about ebay so I'm very interested in what you say.
Can you explain me how it is possible for an ebayer to erase a negative feedback? I've seen with my two eyes (four if you consider glasses) that jonb had some negative feedback, 3 if I'm not wrong, but now they are vanished ...
Moreover, if I read his feedbacks I find a lot of positive comments, some of them left by nicknames I can find in Acaeum forums.
In the end, is he a good person? Can I trust him or not?
thank you all


Seems like this jonb is the latest incarnation of a scammer who used (in another two cases) a remarkably similar method of "working":

Stage 1 - at first, presenting itself as a honorable ebayer, buying and selling things and delivering them in time to earn good feedback and confidence from the bidders.

Stage 2 - then, around feedback 100, beginning to show some problems in delivering - increased sales and traffic, so the items arrive - late, but they do.

Stage 3 - beginning not to ship items at all, instead finding every kind of logical and illogical excuse for this behaviour - floods, famines, deaths in the family, terrorist attack and so on. And after having cashed enough funds...

Stage 4 - disappearing altogether for a while to let all this clear, just to begin again in a couple of months.

From what I read, it's now reaching stage 2 of the plan, so u'd be FAIRLY safe for now. But the situation would worsen from now on. I WON'T do business with him - full stop - but if I was another, I'd be extremely beware of him.


"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

 YIM  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7960
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jul 28, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:10 am 
 

rosenkav wrote:
radagast wrote:reading this thread I've learnt something about jonb and now I only hope that "encyclopedia magica" and "Swords and spells" I've bought from him arrive. We will see ...
I'm a buyer (I'm not a reseller) and I have not your experience about ebay so I'm very interested in what you say.
Can you explain me how it is possible for an ebayer to erase a negative feedback? I've seen with my two eyes (four if you consider glasses) that jonb had some negative feedback, 3 if I'm not wrong, but now they are vanished ...
Moreover, if I read his feedbacks I find a lot of positive comments, some of them left by nicknames I can find in Acaeum forums.
In the end, is he a good person? Can I trust him or not?
thank you all


Seems like this jonb is the latest incarnation of a scammer who used (in another two cases) a remarkably similar method of "working":

Stage 1 - at first, presenting itself as a honorable ebayer, buying and selling things and delivering them in time to earn good feedback and confidence from the bidders.

Stage 2 - then, around feedback 100, beginning to show some problems in delivering - increased sales and traffic, so the items arrive - late, but they do.

Stage 3 - beginning not to ship items at all, instead finding every kind of logical and illogical excuse for this behaviour - floods, famines, deaths in the family, terrorist attack and so on. And after having cashed enough funds...

Stage 4 - disappearing altogether for a while to let all this clear, just to begin again in a couple of months.

From what I read, it's now reaching stage 2 of the plan, so u'd be FAIRLY safe for now. But the situation would worsen from now on. I WON'T do business with him - full stop - but if I was another, I'd be extremely beware of him.


I couldnt' state it better myself...that's the exact pattern this individual followed when selling at "The Eastern Treasure Chest" and "Game Emporium" previously.  Below is a link the the ending feedback of both names, unfortunately you cannot see the actual item descriptions  themselves, but be assured they were EXACTLY the same format and wording of the now JonB seller (which is what set off long timers like myself and others).  

feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View ... hest%21%21

feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View ... e_emporium

Now, it's is not a question in my mind this is the same seller.  What is up in the air, will he follow the pattern of what happened twice before and fold up shop, disappear after scamming some buyers?  If you pay attention to his latest feedback, he seems to be following into this pattern...now after a couple months his shipments have started arriving later and later, as evidenced by the "damning with faint praise" feedback he's now getting.  I still think you have a pretty good chance of getting your items..now.  Percentages fall each week the scam continues. Buyer Beware.

Mike B.

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3797
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 15, 2021

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:07 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:Below is a link the the ending feedback of both names, unfortunately you cannot see the actual item descriptions themselves, but be assured they were EXACTLY the same format and wording of the now JonB seller (which is what set off long timers like myself and others).

feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View ... hest%21%21

feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View ... e_emporium

Mike B.


From the first feedback link, try entering the USPS tracking number from this reply, and nothing comes up, even though the package was supposedly mailed about 1 month ago:

Negative feedback rating                 HORRIBLE! Took my money, wouldn't ship item, wouldn't communicate: THIEF!
               Buyer   drew5555 ( 431Feedback score is 100 to 499)                  Mar-25-03 07:31                 3107555947        
      
Reply by the_eastern_treasure_chest!!: Delivery Confirmation number is 0302 0980 0000 5961 8050 Shipping, Freight, Logistics and Supply Chain Management from UPS COMING! : (                  Mar-25-03 20:07


Is that because the postal service purges its records after 30 days, or because jonb lied about shipping and tracking?

  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:49 pm 
 

afoolandhis$ wrote:... even though the package was supposedly mailed about 1 month ago:


If I'm following along correctly, that information is from 2003, not 2005.

However, you bring up a valid point: this sort of "I can prove it!" desperation is common for sellers who are either unethical to begin with or who are in the process of crashing and burning. I believe ETC/GE used this sort of tactic quite a bit, i.e.: "Stop picking on me! Here's your (possibly fake) tracking number."

I've seen it with some other sellers, too (outside of D&D collecting). In the funniest cases, the buyers actually respond with, "That's a fake tracking number, a*****e." I mean, seriously, what's the logic behind sending someone a fake number? At that point, shouldn't you just admit to yourself that you're a worthless thief and stop logging onto eBay altogether?

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3797
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 15, 2021

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:51 pm 
 

Xaxaxe wrote:If I'm following along correctly, that information is from 2003, not 2005.


You're right.  Sorry, my mistake.

  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:04 pm 
 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Is that because the postal service purges its records after 30 days, or because jonb lied about shipping and tracking?


I've wondered this myself, but have been too lazy to do the research. How long can tracking/delivery confirmation information be accessed online? Is it, in fact, 30 days? 60? 90? A year? Anyone know this one off the top of their head?

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3797
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 15, 2021

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:30 pm 
 

rosenkav wrote:Stage 2 - then, around feedback 100, beginning to show some problems in delivering - increased sales and traffic, so the items arrive - late, but they do.
...

From what I read, it's now reaching stage 2 of the plan, so u'd be FAIRLY safe for now. But the situation would worsen from now on. I WON'T do business with him - full stop - but if I was another, I'd be extremely beware of him.


Here's a quick test:  I took information off of jonb's profile on auction end dates and feedback dates (assuming date of feedback left by buyers is indicative of date of receipt of item - I know this will be thrown off slightly by international sales).

I looked for a relationship between auction end date and the DIFFERENCE between feedback date and auction end date, to see if there's an increasing lag between the sale and the shipment.  I only used data from pages 1 and 4+5 of his feedback record.

This graph shows no relationship, i.e., he's not apparently becoming slower (or more reluctant or careless or shifty):

Image

BUT, there's an interesting twist.  If you include the sale price for the item, there IS a developing lag between auction end date and receipt of item.  Looks like he's becoming slower about shipping items that cost more:

Image

I know, I've got too much time on my hands.   :P   But this might be indicative of his movement into stage 3/4 with the more expensive (and therefore rarer) items.

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:42 pm 
 

afoolandhis$ wrote:I know, I've got too much time on my hands.  :P  But this might be indicative of his movement into stage 3/4 with the more expensive (and therefore rarer) items.

This is pretty cool stuff.  By when should we expect the realtime web-based version to be released?  :D

 YIM  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 405
Joined: Nov 23, 2002
Last Visit: Jan 26, 2018
Location: The Saltmarshes of Michigan

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:47 pm 
 

CSI: EBAY  :lol:  :lol:

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 16 of 57123 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 555657