ETC/GAME EMP/jonb7839,lisas_stuff_too! is now she_wolf626
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:48 am 

Hi.
    I added myself as a member because I started researching this person (JR) due to what I felt was an odd transaction. I purchased a hardcover ToEE (imagine that!). I kinda already knew it was a bootleg, but didn't know the history of this person. My thoughts were that I'd be getting a lot of use out of it, so the hardcover edition might last longer; Or, if it was indeed some crazy rare promotional copy from a Con or something, I'd put it away into the collection. It was sold as "Near Mint". It would have been too if it didn't arrive with slight water damage on the inside cover. I asked for a $30 partial refund (The book was $100. A steep price for a printed copy, considering a new 5E book is half that price.); The person gave me the partial refund.

It was sold as "rare", but their completed listing showed they were selling one a week like clockwork. I brought it up and the person stated that their late husband passed away and these were from his collection and that she only had a few left. My thoughts were, "Where did she get them? These are sold nowhere else. This is not an official TSR or WOC product." My impression was they were just printing them off somewhere and selling them one-at-a-time to give the false impression of rarity.

Anyway, is that the MO of this person? Do they have a history of selling fake D&D memorabilia? I'll avoid in the future if so. Sounds like a character!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:57 pm 

Looks like a Print-on-Demand copy, which, provided the originating source has the right to reprint (DrivethruRPG or wherever), then it isn't illegal to sell the product. Only misleading description and ridiculous price. If you were in the UK I'd say send it back and get a full refund, because in the UK we are entitled to a full refund on anything we buy online for any reason if we are dissatisfied. We do not need to demonstrate wrongdoing. Sad for eBay sellers over here because a lot of sellers get stung when buyers feel remorse about buying stuff.

Clearly something which is maybe worth $25-$30 if you particularly wanted a hard copy. At the moment you can't buy hardcopy from DrivethruRPG. But theres a lot of stuff on eBay now that is Print-on-Demand being sold at ridiculous mark-ups. So if you paid $100, and you like it and want to keep it, and its worth $30, and he gave you a $30 partial refund also, then its a $40 lesson which is not a bad price to open your eyes to the shenanigans that go on around the collecting market these days.

Thanks for letting us know.
In regard to the quality of the reprint, is it clear and with pages that are well centred? Does any of the text disappear into the binding? Are the maps okay? The original has a map booklet, so I am assuming this has the maps bound in at the back?
I'm just curious, because PoDs such as these are done from scans of the original books, which you can clean up with software, but are never clear and perfect like modern PDFs are. I've never seen a Print-on-Demand product from a scanned PDF before, so I am curious about quality.

Welcome to Acaeum, btw.
Hope you stay with us.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:45 pm 

Yes, I have to agree. Print-on-demand seems accurate. I'll be honest though; except for the slight water damage along the bottom of most of the pages (obvious waviness from water), the print is not blurry and doesn't run into binding. The cover is super nice and glossy. The maps are printed in and are not in a separate booklet. I would have been completely satisfied had it not been for the water damage. I just wanted to post about the seller since I noticed people here had run-ins with that person. (This site came up from a Google search of the sellers name). For the record, they offered a complete refund, but I was content with the partial refund which was my suggestion. I feel now that I'm back running 1E again from the deep freeze, this module will get a lot of abuse!

I'll definitely be checking back in here. Thanks for having me!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:52 pm 

Sounds like a good quality print, and to put it in perspective, a near mint copy of ToEE original would set you back $100+
https://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/modcode.html
The forum tracks prices on most of the key D&D items, and has data going back decades (although I don't know if historic data is available on the site.)

If you're thinking of buying Print-on-Demand, now that you are aware of the eBay scams, I'd go to DrivethruRPG first. The ToEE soft cover reprint is $20 with a copy of the PDF thrown in.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:12 pm 

Syranimys wrote in ETC/GAME EMP/jonb7839,lisas_stuff_too! is now she_wolf626:Hi.
    I added myself as a member because I started researching this person (JR) due to what I felt was an odd transaction. ....
.... Sounds like a character!

If you think she's bad, Cougarrinard arguably wins the prize as the worst all time eBay rip-off artist.  There's a LONG thread about his shenanigans:

Cougarrinard is now using Ebay ID of littleprincessfreya

There's also a "Shady Dealers of the Past" thread:

Shady dealers of the past

And a "Shady Dealers" thread:

Shady Dealers

Welcome to the Acaeum!  8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:13 pm 

Syranimys wrote in ETC/GAME EMP/jonb7839,lisas_stuff_too! is now she_wolf626:Hi.
    I added myself as a member because I started researching this person (JR) due to what I felt was an odd transaction. I purchased a hardcover ToEE (imagine that!). I kinda already knew it was a bootleg, but didn't know the history of this person. My thoughts were that I'd be getting a lot of use out of it, so the hardcover edition might last longer; Or, if it was indeed some crazy rare promotional copy from a Con or something, I'd put it away into the collection. It was sold as "Near Mint". It would have been too if it didn't arrive with slight water damage on the inside cover. I asked for a $30 partial refund (The book was $100. A steep price for a printed copy, considering a new 5E book is half that price.); The person gave me the partial refund.

It was sold as "rare", but their completed listing showed they were selling one a week like clockwork. I brought it up and the person stated that their late husband passed away and these were from his collection and that she only had a few left. My thoughts were, "Where did she get them? These are sold nowhere else. This is not an official TSR or WOC product." My impression was they were just printing them off somewhere and selling them one-at-a-time to give the false impression of rarity.

Anyway, is that the MO of this person? Do they have a history of selling fake D&D memorabilia? I'll avoid in the future if so. Sounds like a character!

It's a print on demand item, either legally from Drive thrus or Lulu, or via uploaded files to Lulu or another place. It's not worth $100, but it's a nice way to read this without damaging an actual copy. While not illegal to sell, it's dishonest if it's being peddled as some sort of rare collectible, because it's not.

The "my husband died and these were from his collection" is an out and out lie, she/he/it was trying to peddle this  story 15+ years ago, there is no dead husband and no old collection they are selling from.

FYI, as Ian says, just buy POD from Drive Thru, much cheaper.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:44 pm 

I'm running into a unique problem with 'she_wolf626'. Short of the long is that I live in Texas. Prior to the massive storm, a shipment I had prepped didn't go out in time. I had a few days of opportunity, but dropped the ball due to competing life priorities, and I communicated it. No issues until they decided to read the shipment communication from UPS incorrectly. Very night and day in terms of response--to include a veiled threat just now.

I paid extra money (out of pocket; $58) to go with UPS knowing USPS would still be jammed up from the ice and now. The logics problems cleared and they'll get their package in the next day or two.

Anyways, completely inappropriate individual that likes to type in all-caps and threaten. Happy to provide more details, but I wish I could have known about them prior to the sale. I would have avoided it at all costs. Yeesh.

I half expect them to demolish my shipment and make a claim with eBay. Not looking forward to the next week.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:56 pm 

Eruantien wrote in ETC/GAME EMP/jonb7839,lisas_stuff_too! is now she_wolf626: Happy to provide more details,

Yes, please.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:01 pm 

Interestingly, based on feedback others gave them, they are trying to do the same to me (screenshot of one of their own buyers trying the same with them)

My transaction with this user is $500+ and includes several rare collectables. I've maintained each private message, but am interested to see what the outcome is first. I'll provide the breakdown, play by play, by the end of the week.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:08 pm 

I'm new here.  Just got back into collecting.  Considering purchasing sealed items from She Wolf.  Only read the last few pages of forum.  Can someone bring me up to speed?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:38 am 

From the reviews, I would just say be sure to read the listings as usual. I haven't bought anything from the seller, but sure have bought things that smelled like smoke. Its never in any listings and I wish it was.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:04 am 

jimbonemx6 wrote in ETC/GAME EMP/jonb7839,lisas_stuff_too! is now she_wolf626:I'm new here.  Just got back into collecting.  Considering purchasing sealed items from She Wolf.  Only read the last few pages of forum.  Can someone bring me up to speed?

Welcome jimbonemx6!  The very fact that there's 57 pages of comments about his/her shenanigans should be warning enough.  While there are buyers with good experiences, I have generally found that leopards don't change their spots.  One pattern is the seller appears to reform for a while and then sticks it to some buyers; rinse and repeat.  I recommend patience and going with another seller.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:15 pm 

benjoshua wrote in ETC/GAME EMP/jonb7839,lisas_stuff_too! is now she_wolf626:
If you think she's bad, Cougarrinard arguably wins the prize as the worst all time eBay rip-off artist.  There's a LONG thread about his shenanigans:

Cougarrinard is now using Ebay ID of littleprincessfreya

There's also a "Shady Dealers of the Past" thread:

Shady dealers of the past

And a "Shady Dealers" thread:

Shady Dealers

No "Shady Dealers of the Future" thread?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:25 pm 

One of the really shady things she_wolf does is contact Ebay sellers who may not know what they have, before auction end, to try to buy the item.  My brother was selling a very well-used set of third printing OD&D, without the woodgrain box unfortunately.  He is not a collector, and was just selling off some old stuff left over from his playing days, so he didn't know how much the books were worth. I wasn't sure either since the books were beat up, colored in and the box was long gone.   A couple days before the auction ended, she_wolf contacted him and offered around $300, which was about twice the existing high bid.  He said no, fortunately, because he didn't think it was ethical.  Which paid off, because the books ended up going for about $1200.  She also asked if he had anything else, but we spoke shortly after and I filled him in on her reputation.  I am sure this was not the first time she tried this.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:32 pm 

hoo boy

Well, I guess i too will be breaking the seal on posting here due to stumbling upon this thread.

I recently got  into the collecting end and found the Acaeum a couple months back.

I have already made one small purchase from Shewolf, and it went fine, but..

I had been looking at some obscure items they have listed, and they recently sent me a coupon... which I had never seen before thru ebay...is this part of the m.o.

I mean, 57 pages of this thread, I'll work thru it at some point, but give it to me quick and dirty, what is up with this coupon?

thanks
Jeff

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:08 pm 

jeffsea wrote in ETC/GAME EMP/jonb7839,lisas_stuff_too! is now she_wolf626:hoo boy

Well, I guess i too will be breaking the seal on posting here due to stumbling upon this thread.

I recently got  into the collecting end and found the Acaeum a couple months back.

I have already made one small purchase from Shewolf, and it went fine, but..

I had been looking at some obscure items they have listed, and they recently sent me a coupon... which I had never seen before thru ebay...is this part of the m.o.

I mean, 57 pages of this thread, I'll work thru it at some point, but give it to me quick and dirty, what is up with this coupon?

thanks
Jeff

Report her to eBay for that, pretty sure that counts as solicitation.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:07 am 

jeffsea wrote in ETC/GAME EMP/jonb7839,lisas_stuff_too! is now she_wolf626:I had been looking at some obscure items they have listed, and they recently sent me a coupon... which I had never seen before thru ebay...is this part of the m.o.

Does it say
"Because you showed interest in this item, the seller sent you this private offer.
A few other interested buyers also received this offer – it won’t last long. Hurry and take advantage right away!"?

Did you put the item on your eBay Watchlist?

If so, then for_the_love_of_the_stuff is correct & you should definitely report this to your priest or cleric, because solicitation & human trafficking are crimes against God.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:59 am 

sauromatian wrote in ETC/GAME EMP/jonb7839,lisas_stuff_too! is now she_wolf626:
Does it say
"Because you showed interest in this item, the seller sent you this private offer.
A few other interested buyers also received this offer – it won’t last long. Hurry and take advantage right away!"?

Did you put the item on your eBay Watchlist?

If so, then for_the_love_of_the_stuff is correct & you should definitely report this to your priest or cleric, because solicitation & human trafficking are crimes against God.

No, not exactly. I am familiar with that standard verbiage you get from an ebay seller when they send out the mass mailing style discount offer to anyone who is watching one of their items.  I am however watching some of her items, the Silverdawn stuff, shoot, have to let those go I suppose.

This coupon offer was in a separate email to my linked email address, not in the ebay messaging system.  It had ebay logoing and headers, but also had a clickable link for the coupon, which I now won't be hitting, and another clickable link to see which of her items you could use it on.

In that email she says :
A message from the seller
"Here is a "Special Coupon" just for you in case you might see something in the future you might also Like to Purchase! Thank you for being a great customer! Joyce :-)"

Maybe y'all have had a good influence on him over the years and he has learned to forgo all the caps.

Also, I just slogged thru all 57 pages of this thread, here are some random observations:

1.What a demented person he is
2.Glad I stumbled on buying things from BadMike early on, good dude
3.IF you mess with Ian/BC they will track you down
4. Oh Pipswich, just rofl

that is all

PreviousNext