ETC/GAME EMP/jonb7839,lisas_stuff_too! is now she_wolf626
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:56 pm 

So many people on this board from all over the world, and this stuff is in my back yard...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:44 pm 

Based on an investigation I'm just getting into, it appears someone has altered descriptions on RPG Geek concerning contents of boxed sets, and used that as backup for saying he/she/it's items are complete. Three guesses who is doing this. More info as I look closer at several of the items....but as said before buyer beware. A seasoned seller here was taken for $300 on an incomplete item from this seller, and when I checked the RPG Geek description (which shewolf had referred to trying to molify the customer), it was wrong...oddly enough, wrong in the exact way she had described the item to the buyer.

Anyone who is a member can alter an RPG Geek description....be warned.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:56 pm 

Badmike wrote in ETC/GAME EMP/jonb7839,lisas_stuff_too! is now she_wolf626:Based on an investigation I'm just getting into, it appears someone has altered descriptions on RPG Geek concerning contents of boxed sets, and used that as backup for saying he/she/it's items are complete. Three guesses who is doing this. More info as I look closer at several of the items....but as said before buyer beware. A seasoned seller here was taken for $300 on an incomplete item from this seller, and when I checked the RPG Geek description (which shewolf had referred to trying to molify the customer), it was wrong...oddly enough, wrong in the exact way she had described the item to the buyer.

Mike B.

Excellent investigative work there.  And that sure makes RPG Geek a lot less useful.  Hopefully the membership rolls will be edited to remove the offending member(s).    :?

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:29 pm 

Badmike wrote in ETC/GAME EMP/jonb7839,lisas_stuff_too! is now she_wolf626:Based on an investigation I'm just getting into, it appears someone has altered descriptions on RPG Geek concerning contents of boxed sets, and used that as backup for saying he/she/it's items are complete. Three guesses who is doing this. More info as I look closer at several of the items....but as said before buyer beware. A seasoned seller here was taken for $300 on an incomplete item from this seller, and when I checked the RPG Geek description (which shewolf had referred to trying to molify the customer), it was wrong...oddly enough, wrong in the exact way she had described the item to the buyer.

Mike B.

wow, thanks for pointing this out

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:31 pm 

shewolf_626 just bought two Central Casting items from me on ebay. I thought I had them priced too low but I got them for free so no biggie

i'll update once I ship and they receive to see if there's any type of problems

Make them pay as much as they think they can afford...J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:03 pm 

I'm really swamped here with con stuff and more, so briefly: someone bought a boxed set from Shewolf, the description was very careful to mention all the products but not the box itself, and the pic looked deceiving (close up of the cover with no shot of all the accompanying items).  When the item arrived, it was not boxed but vacuum sealed in a plastic ziplock bag, when the customer complained to Shewolf he was told "No, this item was a later print that came in a bag, not a box" and quickly pointed the buyer to RPG Geek where conveniently the description of the item said it was the only one of that series NOT boxed but only available in a sealed bag....

Needless to say it was an expensive item, and only commercially available in a box. I changed the description on RPG Geek, but my suspicion is that Shewolf could easily alter descriptions on rare 3rd party items in RPG Geek since any member can do so.  Remember, Shewolf never mentioned a box; however, lying after the fact and saying it was a version that did not exist is the really messed up part of this. Hopefully my friend can get his money back on this deceptive sale.

Buyer beware when dealing with this seller!

Mike B.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:45 pm 

Is anyone here a member of RPGgeek and can let them know that he/she is abusing their Site? Or at least put a couple of warnings in their Forum, I saw they have one for complaints about eBay sellers.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:05 pm 

Mister Yuk wrote in ETC/GAME EMP/jonb7839,lisas_stuff_too! is now she_wolf626:Is anyone here a member of RPGgeek and can let them know that he/she is abusing their Site? Or at least put a couple of warnings in their Forum, I saw they have one for complaints about eBay sellers.

I sent it. We'll see what comes back.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:11 am 

MadCatUSA wrote in ETC/GAME EMP/jonb7839,lisas_stuff_too! is now she_wolf626:
I sent it. We'll see what comes back.

PDT_Armataz_01_34

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:33 pm 

I'd be interested in seeing what kind of research went into this. The description that Badmike describes was input that way back in 2009 and hadn't been touched until he fixed it.

Any chance someone could have made an honest mistake? The individual in question has an item, looks at RPGG's entry, sees that their item is complete (ie not boxed, according to the old, bad description), and offers it for sale as such?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:38 pm 

tdphillips wrote in ETC/GAME EMP/jonb7839,lisas_stuff_too! is now she_wolf626:I'd be interested in seeing what kind of research went into this. The description that Badmike describes was input that way back in 2009 and hadn't been touched until he fixed it.

Any chance someone could have made an honest mistake? The individual in question has an item, looks at RPGG's entry, sees that their item is complete (ie not boxed, according to the old, bad description), and offers it for sale as such?

This is a 55 page thread detailing the dishonest practices of a scam artist. Very difficult to give them the benefit of the doubt, if it's an honest mistake, that's a first.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:32 am 

I'm the previously mentioned admin from RPGGeek, and I'd like to shed some light/hopefully get more info as to what appears to be going on.

After seeing the thread here and checking the eBay account in question, I went to see if any of the RPGGeek Description information for which there had been negative feedback left had been tampered with; these are all wiki fields, so while anyone can go in and change them, there's also then a history of what changes were made, when, and by whom.

One of the other admins on the site (who was familiar with Badmike*) found what he thought could have been the Item Description in question, CDM2: The Lost Shrine of Kasar-Khan.

By clicking on the History by Description, you can then see what changes were made - in this case, the words "(This time, not a boxed set.) " were removed and verbiage was inserted to the effect that this was in fact a box set. You'll also note that the indication that this "wasn't a box set" was from waaaaaaay back in 2009, very likely from when the site was being initially populated with information.
Having been an admin over on RPGGeek for the last six years, it no longer comes as any surprise to me when information comes to light that the data entered back then was of...varying quality, some of it quite poor**. So in this specific case, if this was the item in question, it looks like the information that was originally present was simply erroneous.

Now. Having said all that, I will say that if there are other instances of actual wiki vandalism, that should be pretty easy to track, assuming that we can have an example to go on. For instance, by selecting a specific user's profile, then going to their Contribution page, you can then scroll down and under "Other" you can find "Wiki Edits," which then brings up a list of all the various changes that someone may have made - like this: | Wiki  | RPGGeek

If anyone has any more info that might help unravel this, please PM me here (which I assume will ping me with an email to come here, but I'll pop by periodically in the next week or so to check) or over on RPGGeek so that further investigation might show a path to action needed. From my personal standpoint, I will say that given the amount of time I spend on that site that if someone has been intentionally vandalizing wiki pages, I will do what I can to have the user removed.

Thanks much for both the head's up and for any further possible assistance you may be able to provide.

Steve

*Specifically, he said, "I've dealt with Bad Mike (the user at Acaeum) several times over several years. He has always been more than fair, honest, and detail-oriented."
**I'd like to curse at this point, but I'm not seeing what the guidelines for that sort of behavior might be in the FAQ, so I'll refrain.

Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:39 am 

Grug Greyskin wrote in ETC/GAME EMP/jonb7839,lisas_stuff_too! is now she_wolf626:This is a 55 page thread detailing the dishonest practices of a scam artist. Very difficult to give them the benefit of the doubt, if it's an honest mistake, that's a first.

And how about a rebuttal to the rest of my post? Is this scam artist just playing the long con? As I said, the description wasn't messed with. It was like that since the game was added back in 2009.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:58 am 

tdphillips wrote in ETC/GAME EMP/jonb7839,lisas_stuff_too! is now she_wolf626:
Grug Greyskin wrote in ETC/GAME EMP/jonb7839,lisas_stuff_too! is now she_wolf626:This is a 55 page thread detailing the dishonest practices of a scam artist. Very difficult to give them the benefit of the doubt, if it's an honest mistake, that's a first.

And how about a rebuttal to the rest of my post? Is this scam artist just playing the long con? As I said, the description wasn't messed with. It was like that since the game was added back in 2009.

Is that the time stamp for the last edit or for the initial entry?  I ask this because if I currently edit a post that I've made on these forums months ago, the time stamp does not get updated but the content does.  It would be impressive for relatively popular D&D content to be so obviously questionable for so long on a heavily trafficked website.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:07 am 

The "timestamp" in the wiki entries at RPGGeek are presented as a list.  For each edit made, the "old" text and the "new" text are preserved, along with a timestamp of modification.

When an entry is made, it gets a creation timestamp.
When an entry is edited, it gets an edit timestamp and a "diff" of the old vs. new text.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:53 pm 

I'd like to make sure everyone knows I never accused that trashbag SheWolf of actually altering descriptions on RPG Geek. I just wanted everyone to be aware the possibility exists, since SheWolf DID use a RPG Geek description that was not completely right (the item in question has been available in both a boxed and bagged version, not indicated) to try to mollify a buyer who I believe she misled.  In the end, he/she/it's description on ebay was deceptive, and I don't consider RPG Geek at fault at it, it is what it is. This is nothing more than a buyer beware.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:05 am 

Badmike wrote in ETC/GAME EMP/jonb7839,lisas_stuff_too! is now she_wolf626:I'd like to make sure everyone knows I never accused that trashbag SheWolf of actually altering descriptions on RPG Geek.

I misunderstood this point.

However, with the seller in question, I do think it is more than likely shewolf knowingly used the inaccurate description to mislead her buyer, even if the inaccuracy stemmed from an old, innocently made, error.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:18 pm 

If this is about the CDM2, then it was commercially available as either a box set or book itself (with the same contents only missing the box) - the geomorph pages were in the middle of the book.

Badmike wrote in ETC/GAME EMP/jonb7839,lisas_stuff_too! is now she_wolf626:Needless to say it was an expensive item, and only commercially available in a box. I changed the description on RPG Geek, but my suspicion is that Shewolf could easily alter descriptions on rare 3rd party items in RPG Geek since any member can do so.  Remember, Shewolf never mentioned a box; however, lying after the fact and saying it was a version that did not exist is the really messed up part of this. Hopefully my friend can get his money back on this deceptive sale.

Buyer beware when dealing with this seller!

Mike B.

PreviousNext